Why...just why?!?!

We had a guy hit his head on the roof of the cart and fall out when he hit a bump and the cart went down a hill and into the river.

Probably forgot they left their Jeep in the parking lot.

20190607_172055.jpg

20190607_172345 (1).jpg

Alcohol was involved here, this guy and another guys had been drinking beer since the first hole. alc.gif

I did that with a tractor in my vineyard years ago when I first started and the neighbor had to pull me out. I was so embarrassed, it never happened again, but you can easily get caught in mud that looks pretty solid at first glance ;)

A couple weeks ago during our annual guys' trip, we came across an abandoned cart that was high centered right down the middle on a thin strip of grass between a fairway bunker and a waste area - no way a cart should ever have been driven there. All I could think of was "PLEASE don't let that be from our group!". :LOL:

There is a story there. We just don't know what it is.

Based on the number of times I've had to pull out stuck equipment, I basically pay guys to be that stupid sober. Add some alcohol, and anything is possible. Y'all are lucky they don't tend to golf.

Yup. People.

Last year, I was waived through a group and shortly later, they were rolling toward the green as I was putting out.

One cart was heading at an angle toward an area where the fairway drops dramatically down to the cart path. I shouted, he stopped. I said, "careful, that slope is very steep there."

With a disgusted look on his face and arms spread as if to inquire, "WTF?," he then very dismissively waived me off. I mean, like a Richard. I can't quite put into words his unnecessarily demonstrative reaction.

Yup, you guessed it... he turned the cart over onto its side. He was fine, save for his ego. Once I knew he was fine, I chuckled internally. Gleefully.

As I was passing he and his buddy and their overturned cart, because I can be a jerk, I mimicked his dismissive waive as I slowly drove by.

Evidenced by his slumped shoulders and exasperated grunt, I can tell that he totally appreciated it.

Seemed like a good idea at the time...

"Cocaine's a helluva drug!"
-Rick James

People are stupid. We had a group literally snap an axle in half jacking around at the last tournament.

Unfortunately I don't think that's too uncommon. We had crap like that happen at the small town course I grew up on and worked at through High School. People and booze are sometimes a very bad combination.

Back in the mid-80s the course near my house got their first carts. They didn't put in paths except to widen footpaths through the wooded areas. It had tons of steep slopes and gullies surrounding the holes. The people renting the carts tended to be both drunk and not familiar with the peculiar performance characteristics of a golf cart or the habit of jamming down the foot brake. The grounds crew didn't mind as figuring out how to retrieve a cart resting in a tree at the bottom of a steep gully breaks up the monotony of mowing grass. Plus overtime.

I'm amazed nobody has been killed there yet. They still don't have paths, but they won't rent carts when it is wet and there aren't as many silly drunks who think they are driving a sports car. Now and then I spot a cart way down in a wooded hole somewhere, but back then it was routine. They have a "wall of shame" of the people that they won't rent to because of this sort of thing.

We had a guy hit his head on the roof of the cart and fall out when he hit a bump and the cart went down a hill and into the river.
Was it you?

Seemed like a good idea at the time...
Was playing a foursome with some friends several years ago, and the guy who was driving our cart was going up the center of a fairway towards a foot bridge over a small stream. I noted that it didn't look wide enough for the cart, but he barreled ahead at full speed anyway. The hideous scraping sound as we ground to a halt mid-span sounded expensive. As he looked at me through his beer goggles, he said, "You might be right." I just shook my head at him. We were able to lift it enough on one side to get it across the bridge, and were met back at the cart path with the obvious question, "WTH were you thinking?!"

Alcohol is a dangerous drug.

Back