Will You Retire to a Golf Community?

After living so many years on a couple of acres and with some distance from others, I don't see myself living in that sort of environment. Certainly not an HOA. But wherever we end up, there needs to be an abundance of golf course options nearby.

I would say we probably will not. We are going to keep a course in Massachusetts near our current beach house. We will likely have a winter place somewhere but my wife isn’t a golfer so it probably won’t be in a golf community.

I've had a home on the golf course for 28 years and played the game for for 55 years. With that said I guess I'll say yes..

I would like to.

Was just telling my wife that I came up with a new bucket list item: get an RV and travel the US, playing in as many states as I can. Thinking something like a 6 month excursion in my late 50s, early 60s.

Hope I unlock this achievement…

This is what wife and I have been planning for last 5 years.

We were looking at golf community after selling our home but houses inside were 30 years old and small then of course the aforementioned HOA fees were $185/month. We passed and now are building new within 15 minutes of same course.

I am set to sign up for a club next year. The course will be about 5 blocks from our place.download (1).jpg

I live on a golf course right now. It's a mid price local place and it's perfect. I join for $1000 a year and walk out of my garage and play any time I want as long as I stay out of the way, which I am an expert at.

🤣

I can see you doing an Austin Power roll, no. I don’t wanna see that. 😂

Think its unlikely. I plan to be a member at a club once I retire (wherever that is) but doubt we will buy in a golf community.

I don't see it happening for me.

Nah. Far as I can tell, I'm gonna croak right where I'm living now.

I would be into it but would need to find a community with a couple great courses. Not sure how widely available that would be.

Owning my own golf cart would be great though. Upgrade to a large cooler.

I can't get to the Costa Blanca region of Spain fast enough. I don't know if I'll ever retire, but living there will give me the best opportunity to do so. Having 29 affordable golf courses in the area is definitely a plus!

I don't think I will retire to a golf community as my hopes are to be settled into a new built house on the land I live on now, but I will be a member somewhere and play multiple times a day, God willing of course and if my body is able.

I'm not retired but living in one now. I will say there are some downsides to it. One of which is being tied to some pretty hefty dues and HOA fees that are mandatory... and they have already increased over the past year. Having tried it, I don't think I want to retire in a community like this, but would rather be close to water and have some nice courses nearby.

I'm not retired but living in one now. I will say there are some downsides to it. One of which is being tied to some pretty hefty dues and HOA fees that are mandatory... and they have already increased over the past year. Having tried it, I don't think I want to retire in a community like this, but would rather be close to water and have some nice courses nearby.

I don't mind the HOA fee but I do mind the HOA itself. There are nutjobs sitting on the HOA board. I lived in a townhouse with HOA many years ago. When I had enough money, we got out of there and moved to Mclean Virginia in an area where there is no HOA and I can paint and plan my garden however I want, and do not have to hear from HOA people.

Last edited:
I don't mind the HOA fee but I do mind the HOA itself. There are nutjobs sitting on the HOA board. I lived in a townhouse with HOA many years ago. When I had enough money, we got out of there and moved to Mclean Virginia in an area where there is no HOA and I can pain and plan my garden however I want, and do not have to hear from HOA people.
Yeah, the HOAs can be a real problem. There is no shortage of people who like exerting control over others and the HOA can get a little out of hand.

I assume St. George area counts, I could totally see myself moving there.

Not necessarily in the community itself, but definitely close enough to the course I can play a lot. I'll be closer to the shore or on the water somewhere. I'll be fishing more than golfing when I retire. A lot less pain on the body when all I have to do is operate the boat, fishing pole 🐟🎣 in one hand & a beer 🍺 in the other.

I doubt I will be in a community, but I would enjoy being close to several options.

Not sure yet. South Dakota being discussed now. Golf in summer and poker in the winter. Current Governor is awesome too.

Nope. We moved to Vegas to retire in a few years and I can get to about 10-15 courses in less than 10 minutes with a couple less than 5 minutes away. :cool:

Not sure. I want to move back to Colorado to be close to skiing and golfing. When I did live there I actually was on a golf course called Thorncreek in Thornton CO. That is the goal, but the wife will probably want to stay on the East Coast

Only if there's no HOA involved.

As some others have stated, I'm not sure I want to deal with the mandatory dues and hefty HOA fees. Would definitely love to retire to a location (am thinking Florida, Carolinas) with many golf options nearby to choose from. I suppose the one thing I'm discounting is meeting new people to golf with, which is definitely easier within a golf community. (Unless you're retiring with all of your golf buddies to the same place -- which itself is probably a different question worth of asking THPers!)

Back