Wilson Staff C200 Irons Review Thread

The more holes the better right? I grew up in an era where Wilson was a lesser brand. Would love to put these to the test as I've heard nothing but good things about Wilson clubs from those that play them.

I suppose they could have colored urethane

The more I think about it, the more I think W/S wanted the tech as visible as possible. Otherwise they could have easily made the urethane silver/gray or they could have given the head a black/gunmetal finish.

The more I think about it, the more I think W/S wanted the tech as visible as possible. Otherwise they could have easily made the urethane silver/gray or they could have given the head a black/gunmetal finish.
I think you are spot on. I don't have to personally see the tech to believe it but some might. I really think these might be THE ONES for me.

Great and entertaining review, Molten.

All of the reviewers have done an excellent job.

At #StaffProto they talked about this. They have a plan to address this.
Good news. I have some feedback for them if they want it. :D

I posted this earlier but here it is again. I emailed Michael Vrska (Global Director of Innovation at Wilson Golf) this question and got this answer:

"Yes, we wanted the FLX Face Technology to be visible. We specifically didn't try to hide it, but we did want it be pleasing (or at least not distracting) in the address position."

Any of the C200 testing team have video / audio of the sound the club makes hitting a ball? Especially on a mishit. I'd love to hear how they are different.

ooooh, now you're talking ...

Any of the C200 testing team have video / audio of the sound the club makes hitting a ball? Especially on a mishit. I'd love to hear how they are different.

Don't think you can capture the true sound from a video. I think you need to try them to truly understand how magnificent these are.

Don't think you can capture the true sound from a video. I think you need to try them to truly understand how magnificent these are.
Which is exactly why my wallet goes into hiding every time I'm reading this thread. :act-up:

Which is exactly why my wallet goes into hiding every time I'm reading this thread. :act-up:

I mean just coming on this forum is going to hurt your wallet - might as well pay for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said RC. I think that the sound in person would be superior. I have not had a single negative comment on the sound of the irons in all my days with them - for what that's worth.

Yeah the sound doesn't come off as out of the ordinary to me. The in hand feel is pretty amazing though on well struck shots, and on mishits it's noticeable but not overly harsh.

I mean just coming on this forum is going to hurt your wallet - might as well pay for the best.
On the advice of counsel, I can not comment at this time. :quiet:

Hmm, my wife suggested that we go to the range this weekend and I'm pretty sure they already have these in stock... Wait, I have joint custody of my... uh I mean our C100's because I let her hit them. Maybe I had better demo these alone.

Love everything Im reading about these. These with the Aldila shaft are at the top of my list for new irons along with the CF16. Anyone hit the two side by side?

For those interested, here is a pic of my 9i after hitting some at the range. Normally I do not see ball marks this clearly on the face, but it was cold and range balls probably not even close to clean. As you can see, I am not that consistent along the face, the toe hit certainly had more feedback due to the temp. Ball still traveled well enough, even in the cold; forgiving face for sure. (FYI, the ball marks cleaned off)

e6860e31-ca0a-438c-98b4-4634fc1e3e2a_zpsgirx5apz.jpg

For those interested, here is a pic of my 9i after hitting some at the range. Normally I do not see ball marks this clearly on the face, but it was cold and range balls probably not even close to clean. As you can see, I am not that consistent along the face, the toe hit certainly had more feedback due to the temp. Ball still traveled well enough, even in the cold; forgiving face for sure. (FYI, the ball marks cleaned off)

Are you sure you didn't raid my bag? That looks like one of my clubs.

Love everything Im reading about these. These with the Aldila shaft are at the top of my list for new irons along with the CF16. Anyone hit the two side by side?

I'm right there with you, Gregg! The CH16's are beautiful clubs, but something tells me these may be a better fit (and a better deal!)

Last edited:

Ok, how was the ball flight off of the center bottom of the club face? I pretty much live on the bottom grooves.

These clubs have a different look for sure, but I like it. I can't wait to see these in person.

Loving the information, gents!

I was going to say the same thing. That's pretty much how all my irons look after a round....

Are you sure you didn't raid my bag? That looks like one of my clubs.

Got to say, the more I play with these irons, the more I fall in love with them. I guess it certainly helps that the last time I went out with them I shot a PB :silly:

I continue to see an elevated ball flight with these irons, regardless of whether I hit them low on the face or not. Pure struck shots achieve a nice ball flight and if landing on the green, see minimal roll out. Lately I've been playing the W/S 50 Elite which is their bargain ball, and I've actually spun this ball back a bit (6-12") with my 9i. In my last round, I hit 7 GIR and all with between my 7i and GW. I usually just point for the center of the green and let it rip, and none of them hit and rolled so far away as to leave me a really poor two putt position.

Ok, how was the ball flight off of the center bottom of the club face? I pretty much live on the bottom grooves.

My only comparison is that of my previous set (Wilson clubs ca. 1996). Anytime I hit the ball thin on my old clubs, a reduction in ball height and less spin occurred. Distance was maybe slightly less, but sometimes not noticeable. Plus, I definitely felt it in the feedback. In colder weather, definitely not fun.

Flash forward to the C200's: I have thinned a few shots since getting them. Overall ball height is a little less (maybe 1/2-2/3, fuzzy memory on that part). I did not seem to notice much less distance.
However, the feedback is much less detrimental. The feeling of 'i know I hit it thin' is still there and present, but much less pronounced; I still had a feeling of 'this shot is probably okay'.
Basically, what I am saying is that thin shots do not seem as punishing as my old clubs. That is just fine with me. Whether it is better for you or not from what you currently game, It is hard to tell you definitively. Best thing I can say is if you get a chance, try them out for a short time, and purposely hit a few to see for yourself.

Anyone else from #StaffProto care to weigh in on 'bottom groove' shots with the C200's?

You guys are doing a great job with the reviews.

During my fitting this was where all my contact was on the impact tape. I didn't change my swing this fall and played with that contact. My ball flight was high. Higher than I've ever had. This winter I'm working to hit down on the ball and higher on the face. Look out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back