Wilson Staff C200 Irons Review Thread

Today went to the Conway Country Club. A bit on the goat tracky side, but had some amazing shots with the C200's today. On #13, I had about 140 left to the pin (middle of the green) so grabbed the 7i and let one go. Caught it flush and the thing carried high and right at the pin. Only to land past the pin and roll ten yards off the back. Whoops. Fortunately left the chip back for a tap in par. On 14, 136 yard par 3, pulled the 8i and hit a shot which hit pin high (a bit left) and left me a chip and putt for par. I had several of those shots today, and as I continue to work on my swing, I'm gaining even greater distance with these clubs, which is simply crazy for me.

These are expensive for Wilson irons. I really don't see the appeal they're not Pings or Titleist.
Well not everyone is going to look at W/S and the C200's, but they're selling themselves short if they don't.

Plus, Wilson hasn't hung around for over 100 years because all they've done is made crud gear. Yes, they made some unsound business decisions which hurt the reputation of the brand a few years back, but they have some of the best and brightest onboard and that's going to change. They're getting back to their roots, shunning the box brand gear, and back to making stuff which will compete with every big name company in the business.

Marketing is king and it needs to improve and I believe they have the people in place to do that. I guess time will tell.

Agreed, marketing is everything in this day and age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilson Staff heard us and definitely took notice of our point made when we said these same exact thing. And many of the other things others are saying can be improved we touched up on. Hopefully they make the move and answer everyone's call

I agree with your comment. Wilson can do a lot to help themselves by doing things on their website that would help in getting the equipment into the hands of the player. Demo irons, single club purchases are a couple of suggestions. Big name players like Ping, Titliest, Callaway and Taylormade are already established so they really don't need any help. Wilson "was" an established name at one point but that has eroded along with John Daly and his Firesticks. I think that golfers can get over the box set mentality, the golfshops whom we rely on to see us the products and have them to test are another issue. Probably easier to sell a popular name brand (Ping, Titleist, etc.) than to "bother" trying to sell them in a Wilson product.

I had my concerns about the looks of the c200 when i first saw the pics and read the write up. i hit the the 7 iron tonight and looked it over well. my concerns are unfounded. it was a very good looking iron both in the bag and at address. What a stellar job WS staff did at showing the consumer the tech in the club and yet making it really good looking. the power holes/urethane blend pretty seamlessly into the club so much so that i did not for a second focus on it at address. I really have no comment on how the club plays except to say that it felt okay and was about a half club longer than the F5. Excellent job WS!

The box set conversation is a thing of the past IF the consumer can find the WIlson Staff products to try and compare.
W/S has done part of the job and is making quality, innovative products. The other half is finding ways to get fair placement at the store level and to tweak its on- line site.

The C200's and the PmP wedges will hopefully get out there enough distribution wise so that people can see the quality for themselves.

Really looking forward to getting my hands on these clubs to give them a shot.

I know we should get back to the clubs as someone suggested, but one more comment first...
I went to the website and looked for authorized retailers while I was on the road in AZ and TX this week. When I was in Tucson EVERY link I tried was a used sports store or a big 5 with $20 putters, etc... Same in Dallas until I called PGA Superstore. Wilson should split their web presence and have a golf specific site. That would go a long way by itself...

As for the clubs I tried a 7i with the steel KBS. I didn't hate it, but it was as good as anything else I tried. I got to try the new G also and was hitting it 12 yds farther than the c200 with tighter dispersion. The experiment continues

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

My set has been ordered. 5-GW with graphite. Should arrive just prior to PGA show.

My set has been ordered. 5-GW with graphite. Should arrive just prior to PGA show.

Did you order from Wilson directly? They show up as out of stock on the website.

These are on the list to demo at an iron fitting - they're that midsize profile I love.

Did you order from Wilson directly? They show up as out of stock on the website.

These are on the list to demo at an iron fitting - they're that midsize profile I love.

I did and got lucky. I was told they will be back in stock very soon.

We've talked about W/S vs Wilson Walmart at length in the staffproto thread.

I think keeping the topic on the C200's is important for this thread. Find these. Go hit them. They will improve your game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I plan on hitting them in the off chance a LH demo set shows up around KC but I'm not holding my breath

excellent news!

excellent news!

Yeah, I am pretty excited for them. I love my current irons. In fact they might be the best irons I have ever hit, but seeing the love in here, hitting a few irons of yours and watching you play seriously good golf with them had me craving more.

That's cool to see you ordered these. Think your gonna like them a lot

I finally got a chance to hit these side by side against the APEX CF. These are serious contenders for my next set. They felt great at contact and had a pleasant sound. My miss is off the toe and was seeing decent distance on these when on the sim station. I usually use a more bladed GW but it looks like a lot of people have taken to the set GW.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I finally got a chance to hit these side by side against the APEX CF. These are serious contenders for my next set. They felt great at contact and had a pleasant sound. My miss is off the toe and was seeing decent distance on these when on the sim station. I usually use a more bladed GW but it looks like a lot of people have taken to the set GW.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The set gap wedge is incredibly versatile. When we played with our newly minted clubs on Saturday at the event it was the only wedge I had in the bag, and it handled pretty much every shot I needed it to, including out of a greenside bunker.

Last edited:
I can't think of a club, maybe the first Apex, where I've wanted to hit them/try so much, can't wait to give one of these a swing soon. So much great feedback on them, have to see what all the hype is about!

I can't think of a club, maybe the first Apex, where I've wanted to hit them/try so much, can't wait to give one of these a swing soon. So much great feedback on them, have to see what all the hype is about!

Got room in your Friday pre KO Classic group? You can hit them as much as you like

I noticed there's a vendor on Ebay selling different sets of the C200 irons. They have an option for a 3 iron in one of the sets. Just curious if any of you guys hit a 3 iron with these? I've new enough to golf that I've never had a set with a 3 iron, but I've always been intrigued at whether or not it would be beneficial.

I noticed there's a vendor on Ebay selling different sets of the C200 irons. They have an option for a 3 iron in one of the sets. Just curious if any of you guys hit a 3 iron with these? I've new enough to golf that I've never had a set with a 3 iron, but I've always been intrigued at whether or not it would be beneficial.

We did not hit the 3 iron at Staff Proto.

To be honest, they didn't even recommend the 3i to most of the testers. The only one I recall that they suggested the 3i to was David Winchell.

Today was the day I finally got to hit the C200s.

I walked into Golfsmith and after walking towards the demo clubs, was asked by one of the fitters if there was anything in particular I wanted to hit. When I responded that I heard they had the new W/S demos in, he responded with a laugh and "oh, so YOU'RE that guy!"

So I guess I have a reputation now?

ANYWAYS! I grabbed the C200, D200, and F5, along with the XR OS and Cobra Max so I could have some comparisons. One of the fitters put together a Ping GMax for me to hit, but I was not a fan. The F5 I was able to put aside quickly, while I was able to hit it fairly straight, it was a good 15 yards shorter for me. And toe hits were not forgiving, at least not to my swing.

But the C200? All the reviews have been dead on. The ball just rockets off the face. Even mishits feel pretty darn good, but the ones you pure? Awesome. Peak height was on average 5 yards higher than the closest other clubs (D200 and Max).

Distance and dispersion wise, it was almost neck and neck with the D200 however. My miss with the C200 was just to the right, usually a slight fade, while the D200 wanted to draw slightly if it wasn't going dead straight. The Cobra Max just wants to go high and straight, period, but those thoughts are for another thread (likewise with the XR OS).

I'm going to head back with my D100s and do a true comparison on distance, dispersion, and peak height in a week or so. I know there's a pic of the C200 vs D200 in the thread, so here it is up against the F5 and the XR OS as comparisons.

F5:
c7c4dc95b4158be1d40b4db2e7f7080f.jpg

XR OS:
1cd715cb87e266a0af0e6c8e45be4df9.jpg

Last edited:
Looking forward to your comparison.

Anxious to hit these. Saw them when they first hit the Golfsmith and that was the last I've seen them. Since I was in a suit that day I couldn't swing away.

To be honest, they didn't even recommend the 3i to most of the testers. The only one I recall that they suggested the 3i to was David Winchell.

They did, but the distance gap just didn't make sense in the bag.

Back