Wilson Staff C200 Irons Review Thread

While i have been longer as of late that distance isnt the norm. Just a flier more than likely. But i am a solid club ish longer through most of the irons

Not surprised, they're some strong irons and get the ball up there and get it going and in a hurry.

Man these irons are crazy long. I had a 167 yard shot which i hit 6I with flush out of the rough and it went 25 yards lver the green. I was long all day which has happened a few times recently already. Might be time to readjust distances with these bad boys

Are these your number ones in the bag now or are there some other contenders?

These are so freaking long its getting crazy.
Its bad enough its a guessing game for me on my new distances with these irons. Now on par 3s im hitting 155 yard 8 irons is crazy talk. Just a few months ago that was a 6I.
While i dont see them being quite as long when i hit off the deck i continue to almost never be short of a green but instead now pin high to long...which is fun

Its bad enough its a guessing game for me on my new distances with these irons. Now on par 3s im hitting 155 yard 8 irons is crazy talk. Just a few months ago that was a 6I.
While i dont see them being quite as long when i hit off the deck i continue to almost never be short of a green but instead now pin high to long...which is fun

That's a heck of a change for you, Mike. Sounds like the C200s really have changed your game. Better put these to good use in RR.

Question
How well do the longer irons (4-6) hold the greens? Being a short knocker I need that ability.

I demoed the C200s side by side with a distance iron on Monday and the flight/distance was the same.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I'm seeing the same thing. Between these irons and my new swing compliments of lessons, I've gained (on average) a club and a half of distance with my irons ... and off the tee, the 6i is a very controllable club which isn't something I was able to say with any other brand. Granted, I'm more experienced now, but even as a higher HDCP player, the C200's perform admirably.

Question
How well do the longer irons (4-6) hold the greens? Being a short knocker I need that ability.

I demoed the C200s side by side with a distance iron on Monday and the flight/distance was the same.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
I don't game the 4 regularly, but the 5 and 6 for sure, I see a lower ball flight than say the 8 or 9, but I love having the confidence to step up and hit a shot I know is going to carry far enough to get to the green, like Mike said, pin high or long instead of short for sure!

What Distance iron were you comparing them to, the D200?

I have a C200 4 iron I use as a driving iron that I hit well enough to have a full set on the way.

I have a draw which doesn't do me any favours when holding greens with long irons, but it does go higher than my old 3 iron (same loft) and seems to hold better.

Thanks for your responses.

I don't game the 4 regularly, but the 5 and 6 for sure, I see a lower ball flight than say the 8 or 9, but I love having the confidence to step up and hit a shot I know is going to carry far enough to get to the green, like Mike said, pin high or long instead of short for sure!

What Distance iron were you comparing them to, the D200?

I was alternating between the C200 and the JGR 7 irons. Both are really easy to hit. I was just surprised that the distance was comparable with my anemic SS.

With my C100's I would usually see somewhat less than 3 feet of rollout on the green hitting the 5i. I would presume that the C200's would hold the green well, but it is a completely new design.

I was alternating between the C200 and the JGR 7 irons. Both are really easy to hit. I was just surprised that the distance was comparable with my anemic SS.

With my C100's I would usually see somewhat less than 3 feet of rollout on the green hitting the 5i. I would presume that the C200's would hold the green well, but it is a completely new design.

Sorry I can't compare to the c100 or JGR but I would guess these would be a bit longer. And depending on your flight could get good spin.

I would expect very similar performance from your 5 iron in the 200 as you got in the 100 WRT holding the green on well struck shots. And more distance on not so well struck shots.

Wilson must have a patent on sounds

Wilson must have a patent on sounds

I'm seeing the same thing. Between these irons and my new swing compliments of lessons, I've gained (on average) a club and a half of distance with my irons ... and off the tee, the 6i is a very controllable club which isn't something I was able to say with any other brand. Granted, I'm more experienced now, but even as a higher HDCP player, the C200's perform admirably.

I've noticed the same thing with these C200's. If you catch it thin off the deck (a common problem of mine) these still go a long way. Certainly not nearly as sweet when you catch them flush off a tee on a par 3. If you hit these flush, WOW. They feel so-o-o-o good and the sound is awesome. Not that clicky sound that you get with most irons. Everyone that has read the D200 driver forum knows how good that driver sounds. Well, Wilson hit the mark on these C200 irons as well. These irons are the best sounding I've heard.

C200 performance

C200 performance

I would expect very similar performance from your 5 iron in the 200 as you got in the 100 WRT holding the green on well struck shots. And more distance on not so well struck shots.

John,
I find your comments about the C200 performance interesting. I'm still torn between the D200's and the C200's. I'm a high-capper senior, so take this as you will.
I've found that if I catch the C200's flush, they go forever and feel REALLY good. BUT I've also found that if I don't catch flush (for me most of the time), there's really nothing special about the distance although somewhat forgiving. Again, that's me and I'm beginning to think that I should just stick with the added length and forgiveness of the D200's.
Maybe as a slow swinging senior I'm expecting too much out of the C200's. For others here on this forum, the C200 might be just the ticket.

I've noticed the same thing with these C200's. If you catch it thin off the deck (a common problem of mine) these still go a long way. Certainly not nearly as sweet when you catch them flush off a tee on a par 3. If you hit these flush, WOW. They feel so-o-o-o good and the sound is awesome. Not that clicky sound that you get with most irons. Everyone that has read the D200 driver forum knows how good that driver sounds. Well, Wilson hit the mark on these C200 irons as well. These irons are the best sounding I've heard.

John,
I find your comments about the C200 performance interesting. I'm still torn between the D200's and the C200's. I'm a high-capper senior, so take this as you will.
I've found that if I catch the C200's flush, they go forever and feel REALLY good. BUT I've also found that if I don't catch flush (for me most of the time), there's really nothing special about the distance although somewhat forgiving. Again, that's me and I'm beginning to think that I should just stick with the added length and forgiveness of the D200's.
Maybe as a slow swinging senior I'm expecting too much out of the C200's. For others here on this forum, the C200 might be just the ticket.

You'll have to forgive me if I find these two posts somewhat contradictory. I not seeking a fight or trying to hurt feelings, I'm just genuinely confused.

I based my statements on my experiences testing the C200 against the C100, with launch monitor data to support my conclusions, and also my experience playing the C200 on the course. For instance, on a 200 yard par 3 I struck a C200 5 iron on the toe - badly. Ball mark in the chrome badly. I wound up 15 yards short/right of the flag. I would be truly shocked if another iron would perform better with a similar strike.

Regardless, I'm not here to try to sell you a set of C200s, play the set that you think best fits your game.

John,

I've found the c200 to be the most forgiving irons I've ever played. I get crazy distance. Even on bad hits.

C200 distance

C200 distance

You'll have to forgive me if I find these two posts somewhat contradictory. I not seeking a fight or trying to hurt feelings, I'm just genuinely confused.

I based my statements on my experiences testing the C200 against the C100, with launch monitor data to support my conclusions, and also my experience playing the C200 on the course. For instance, on a 200 yard par 3 I struck a C200 5 iron on the toe - badly. Ball mark in the chrome badly. I wound up 15 yards short/right of the flag. I would be truly shocked if another iron would perform better with a similar strike.

Regardless, I'm not here to try to sell you a set of C200s, play the set that you think best fits your game.

You are correct. These two comments are contradictory...sorry. I just got off the course this morning with a the C200's and it was not a good day. Maybe it was just that....a bad day. I had a lot of toe shots today and the distance loss was very noticeable. I was quite disappointed. I can tell you this, there's no way that I could hit any 5 iron 185 yards as you did. More like 150-160 for me. So maybe it's just me. Could be that I just need to give the C200's more time. Overall have you found the C200's to be as long and forgiving as you expected? Obviously you're a faster swinger. Have you found the C200's to be long when hit flush?

For me, I'm sure it's more indian than arrow.:bulgy-eyes:

You are correct. These two comments are contradictory...sorry. I just got off the course this morning with a the C200's and it was not a good day. Maybe it was just that....a bad day. I had a lot of toe shots today and the distance loss was very noticeable. I was quite disappointed. I can tell you this, there's no way that I could hit any 5 iron 185 yards as you did. More like 150-160 for me. So maybe it's just me. Could be that I just need to give the C200's more time. Overall have you found the C200's to be as long and forgiving as you expected? Obviously you're a faster swinger. Have you found the C200's to be long when hit flush?

I'll chime in here, yes these irons are CRAZY long. I saw Dave Winchell hitting a 7I at the testing of these 205 yards, that was A LOT longer than his previous set. Im hitting 7 irons 160-165, I cant tell you the last set (and the answer probably is there wasnt one) that I hit a 7I that far.

And prime examble of the forgiveness, 152 yard shot last night, I hit 8I and it hit somewhere between the bottom and 2nd from the bottom groove and hit the green 15 feet short of being pin high and still had decent launch, tough to beat that

It may be entirely possible that the D200's will provide you with more distance ... they are W/S's distance iron after all. They're made to be long and forgiving. I have never gamed the D200's, have only gamed the C200's and tested the D200's and F5's at GolfSmith. Hitting off of a mat, the C200's (fitted to my specs) performed similarly as compared to the D200's (off the rack) for me, but for my friend he was about 5-8 yards longer with the D200's (straight up comparison with both right off the rack). With the F5's I saw about a 5 yard decrease compared to the C200's but they felt great. I can now hit a nice draw with the C200's ... could I hit that with the D200's? I'm not sure. It all depends on what you want. If you're only concerned about distance and forgiveness, the D200's may be your best option. If you want a reduced profile, the C200's may be your cup of tea, and if you want an even more "player friendly" profile you might want to give the F5's a go. There are always pro's and con's to each iron.

I'll chime in here, yes these irons are CRAZY long. I saw Dave Winchell hitting a 7I at the testing of these 205 yards, that was A LOT longer than his previous set. Im hitting 7 irons 160-165, I cant tell you the last set (and the answer probably is there wasnt one) that I hit a 7I that far.

And prime examble of the forgiveness, 152 yard shot last night, I hit 8I and it hit somewhere between the bottom and 2nd from the bottom groove and hit the green 15 feet short of being pin high and still had decent launch, tough to beat that

Thanks Mike.

I appreciate everyone's comments on this thread. I read it frequently. I'm not knocking Wilson. On the contrary, I'm a Wilson homer. I guess I should have just not commented after today's round because I really wasn't swing well. My bad. I guess I'm still stuck between the D200 (which has served me well) and the new C200. I'm a sucker for new technology as long as it's Wilson.

Thanks for your comments. I just need to chill for a day or two and give the C200's another round. :blowkiss:

Thanks!

Thanks!

It may be entirely possible that the D200's will provide you with more distance ... they are W/S's distance iron after all. They're made to be long and forgiving. I have never gamed the D200's, have only gamed the C200's and tested the D200's and F5's at GolfSmith. Hitting off of a mat, the C200's (fitted to my specs) performed similarly as compared to the D200's (off the rack) for me, but for my friend he was about 5-8 yards longer with the D200's (straight up comparison with both right off the rack). With the F5's I saw about a 5 yard decrease compared to the C200's but they felt great. I can now hit a nice draw with the C200's ... could I hit that with the D200's? I'm not sure. It all depends on what you want. If you're only concerned about distance and forgiveness, the D200's may be your best option. If you want a reduced profile, the C200's may be your cup of tea, and if you want an even more "player friendly" profile you might want to give the F5's a go. There are always pro's and con's to each iron.

Thanks Duece.
You're making me feel better. For me, I LOVE the looks of the C200. They look so much better than the D200. I would prefer to bag the C200 on looks alone. I think I just need to be more patient with the C200's and I obviously need to work on my swing to quit hitting off the toe. I will say this...there is no better feeling when I hit the C200 flush. It feels so soft with that flex face technology. The D200 just doesn't match that feel.
I'll stay tuned to this forum to keep up with you and the other's comments.

Thanks Duece.
You're making me feel better. For me, I LOVE the looks of the C200. They look so much better than the D200. I would prefer to bag the C200 on looks alone. I think I just need to be more patient with the C200's and I obviously need to work on my swing to quit hitting off the toe. I will say this...there is no better feeling when I hit the C200 flush. It feels so soft with that flex face technology. The D200 just doesn't match that feel.
I'll stay tuned to this forum to keep up with you and the other's comments.
Are these C200's fit to your swing? That might help you along. I saw an immediate improvement after Duffy (our fitter at the #StaffProto event) switched me to a two degree flat lie. Saw a higher ball flight when he switched me to graphite. Through that, I gained close to a club length more distance compared to my old clubs. After lessons, I gained even more distance and now I hit that "sweet spot" even more. Just took me about nine months between my fitting and my lessons to make those realizations. I didn't think much of fittings and lessons before ... but I'm a believer now!

Are these C200's fit to your swing? That might help you along. I saw an immediate improvement after Duffy (our fitter at the #StaffProto event) switched me to a two degree flat lie. Saw a higher ball flight when he switched me to graphite. Through that, I gained close to a club length more distance compared to my old clubs. After lessons, I gained even more distance and now I hit that "sweet spot" even more. Just took me about nine months between my fitting and my lessons to make those realizations. I didn't think much of fittings and lessons before ... but I'm a believer now!

Yes they are. I was fitted for the senior stock Aldila graphite 65 gram shafts. I saw some really good results during the fitting with some pretty normal flaws.
I do need to get a fresh lesson or two though. It's a crazy game but I guess that's why we love it.

Thanks!

My C200s are slightly longer than the clubs I tested them against (Apex CF16, Mizuno EX Forged, Callaway XR Pro), but that could be due to better forgiveness.

They do feel better than them though.

Wilson standard length starts at 39" for the 4i, but 1/2" won't make much difference in club head speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greetings!

This is my first post on this forum as the discussion of these clubs got me interested.

Wilson is having a demo & fitting day tomorrow at my local club and I'm thinking of purchasing these clubs.

I've played for an half an year and playing some ready-set-wilson irons that feel alright, but I have no idea is the grass greener on the other side, right?. My handicap is 25,6 and my consistency is getting better but still shanking now and then. My question is, are these clubs (c200) suitable for me? I want a set I can play for years to come, but don't want to crush my came with too difficult irons for my level.

Another question about the fitting process. As a high handicapper i'm still shaping my swing, so should I take the stock version irons or fit the clubs to the swing i'm playing today?

Back