Wilson Staff D200 Driver Review Thread

Wilson does not have a single head. They have two heads.
FWIW, I have watched many a player with very fast swing speeds play this head rather well.

I have no doubt, I read the recaps from the event last fall so I have complete faith. Which evidently didn't come across very well in my post.

However looking at the website they only list the D200 in men's and women's under their driver section FWIW.

These last few posts have me a bit concerned as far as driver goes with regards to the Legacy, which is only an issue for me on a personal level. But it raises the question of why? Why would Wilson Staff produce a single head that people with a higher spin rate swing or a higher AoA be able to game confidently off the shelf? My bet is that there is some configuration that would fit any golfer. But as a consumer seeing this kind of feedback makes me take pause really. Then again I realize a true fitting will set your worries aside.

Let me reassure you. With the right fitting, this driver can literally be for anybody. Read the #PersonalDistance live update thread. Hawk did an amazing job updating just about each of us from start to finish. We had such a wide range of golf swings there. From 90mph to 115mph and everyone walked away with a driver that just flat out performs. Is it the longest? No. Is it the most forgiving? It might be. But take this driver as an entire package and you'll love it

Let me reassure you. With the right fitting, this driver can literally be for anybody. Read the #PersonalDistance live update thread. Hawk did an amazing job updating just about each of us from start to finish. We had such a wide range of golf swings there. From 90mph to 115mph and everyone walked away with a driver that just flat out performs. Is it the longest? No. Is it the most forgiving? It might be. But take this driver as an entire package and you'll love it
Yes I'm aware dude, I read it a couple times. Which is why my last sentence reads as it does. Thanks buddy.

Yes I'm aware dude, I read it a couple times. Which is why my last sentence reads as it does. Thanks buddy.

Ya my bad tapatalk is acting goofy and I didn't see any other post after the one I quoted. Didn't mean to beat a dead horse

Okay, back from the range with the launch monitor. Here are the numbers.

This is the average of the best 5 balls.

Ball Speed 150
Launch Angle 16.5
Spin 2826
Carry 246

This is the average of all of the balls

Ball Speed 148
Launch Angle 15.8
Spin 3004
Carry 237

A really good sound at impact and one that you can tell if you catch it flush or miss. This driver surprised me with the forgiveness. A bit of a higher launcher for me in the standard setup. With some tweaking, could probably game this quite easily. Laterally it is super forgiving.
I had some issues with height under the stock setup too. It seemed fine to me but Trackman and a skilled fitter helped bring it down and I added distance. I still hit the ball a but too high some of the time, but that's to be expected at my level.

I too am a little concerned about the Elements Chrome shaft, but only because of my swing flaw that imparts too much spin on the driver.

I'll deal with it if we don't have any options, but I'm hoping there is a lower spin shaft available.

Last edited:
I had some issues with height under the stock setup too. It seemed fine to me but Trackman and a skilled fitter helped bring it down and I added distance. I still hit the ball a but too high some of the time, but that's to be expected at my level.

FWIW I do not think this is too high. In fact 15* playing in FL could be perfection if I can drop the spin a bit. No roll out here, so carry distance is a premium for me.

Ya my bad tapatalk is acting goofy and I didn't see any other post after the one I quoted. Didn't mean to beat a dead horse
Hahaha it's all good brother. I do remember watching people Bomb your driver in Ohio last fall. I know you really liked your set up.

FWIW I do not think this is too high. In fact 15* playing in FL could be perfection if I can drop the spin a bit. No roll out here, so carry distance is a premium for me.
High launch is fine with me too. The spin is my main concern. If I can get consistant carry I'm good with that. I've yet to be able to calculate consistant roll with conditions in a constant state of flux from course to course.

High launch is fine with me too. The spin is my main concern. If I can get consistant carry I'm good with that. I've yet to be able to calculate consistant roll with conditions in a constant state of flux from course to course.

Something tells me regardless of setup, for 2 days in July, it will be fine.

Something tells me regardless of setup, for 2 days in July, it will be fine.
Hi, from Australia...I am about to buy the Wilson D200 Driver and as all my shafts are currently 'senior', (I have Taylormade RSi 1 irons and TM metals! My driver is an R11s.
My question is, is the shaft flex in this club similar to most shafts flex's, or is there a difference...the reason I ask is that my dealer only has a regular flex driver in stock and has to order the senior flex in.
thanks in advance.

I think it plays true to flex. If your dealer has the regular fle in stock, I recommend trying it out.

Can I tell that I like this driver. Very solid snd light but not flemsy at all. Looking forward to hitting again.

It only took me 10 days to respond. No, I haven't. However, the noise is gone. I am magic.
I was on the range this AM before my round - I heard a rattle in the club, it was very inconsistent, but it was there.
Heard it again on the 7th hole.
Not sure what is going on - I will take the head off, see what is up.
Otherwise, it still crushes the ball. Good forgiveness. Missed one fairway out of 4 today (hit my 3 wood primarily, played it forward a bit), just in the left rough through the dogleg, 285 yds.

I did not have the wrench. That will be the first order of business.

Very Light

Very Light

Went to the golf expo in Boston this weekend, and saw online that Wilson had fitting times, so I was hoping to get some time with the D200 and a few different shafts. It turned out the rep hadn't gotten the full fitting cart, so I only got to play around with the stock shaft. Picking it up, I'm not sure I've held a club that's felt as light as the D200 did - I've swing the V series and the Cleveland Black, and this one felt lighter to me. I don't normally get on well with ultralight clubs - the Black in the stock setup was an absolute disaster for me, but I was pleasantly surprised with the D200 - I took maybe 10 swings and was around the center of the face with most of them. That said, I would say at that weight it didn't exactly feel natural to me - I was really thinking about putting a smooth swing on it. Feel/sound wise, I was really impressed. This would be an interesting one to borrow for a while to see if the weight felt more normal to me, but either way there's a local demo day here in about a month or so, and I'm looking forward to giving this a shot with a shaft that's more in my preferred weight range.

I have to agree. I recently attended a WS demo day here at a local driving range. I hit about 30 balls with it and was not impressed. But don't go by me. There was a young guy next to me on the range hitting the same D200 (same loft and flex) and he was absolutely smoking it.
Also when he made contact, the sound was incredible like others here on this thread have mentioned. I was catching it on the heel and it sounded awful. It sounded like we were hitting two different clubs. Obviously others on this thread that loved the sound were puring it much better than me as well. Keep that in mind so that this doesn't sound too negative. Different strokes for different folks. Maybe just too light for me.

I will say that the D200 driver was very forgiving even when sounding bad and not on the sweet spot.
I love WS products and really wanted to love the D200 driver, but I'll pass. For whatever reason I have much more success with my SLDR. Familiarity, I guess. (who knows).

BUT, I absolutely LOVE my new D200 irons with the EC shafts and have posted positive comments on that THP thread.

I don't understand the hang up with the weight of this club. In a few weeks I hope to get to see first hand as the W/S guys will be in our area. Are people losing the rad in the swing? Is it that your swinging to fast? Why is head weight such an issue?

I must admit that I never had any issue with weight of this club. I play pretty heavy irons, but the driver never has caused me problems.

My prior drivers have been -
Cobra Bio Cell
Callaway RazrFit Xtreme
Cleveland 460 Launcher.
Callaway Big Bertha (with the original warbird sole).

I don't understand the hang up with the weight of this club. In a few weeks I hope to get to see first hand as the W/S guys will be in our area. Are people losing the rad in the swing? Is it that your swinging to fast? Why is head weight such an issue?

My guess for me at least? It wouldn't take a ton of time to get used to, but it did feel extraordinarily light with the stock shaft when I tried it - I don't know if id call it bad, it was just different than anything I'd taken cuts with the day I tried it.

Though since putting the V series fairways in the bag, I'm thinking of trying lightweight in a few other spots in the bag. Might be revisiting this one.

I have no clue. If you look at the personal distance thread quite a few folks (Jrod in particular) I believe swing at the top end and they had no issues. Keep in mind there were shaft changes but the club still did its job as far as I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just read through the Personal Distance thread again.
There is no doubt that this head is a bruiser when paired with the right shaft.

Going to tinker with one of these heads very very soon. I'm excited.

So just had my first 9 holes with my 45' shaft d200 and I love it! Had it set at standard 10.5 degrees. 3 of 4 fir and a great piercing ball flight. Had one miss high on the face with only a small loss of distance.

good solid sound - I found it more muted than my previous burner super fast but in a good way. Distance was good for me (230 with no real run out as fairways were sodden). I've got the stock shaft, 5.5 flex and worked for me... That said I'm no shaft expert. Also looks great with the chrome finish.

all in all can't wait to get back out and hit it again!

So just had my first 9 holes with my 45' shaft d200 and I love it! Had it set at standard 10.5 degrees. 3 of 4 fir and a great piercing ball flight. Had one miss high on the face with only a small loss of distance.

good solid sound - I found it more muted than my previous burner super fast but in a good way. Distance was good for me (230 with no real run out as fairways were sodden). I've got the stock shaft, 5.5 flex and worked for me... That said I'm no shaft expert. Also looks great with the chrome finish.

all in all can't wait to get back out and hit it again!
Glad you like it & hope to see continuing feedback as you get to play it more.

Back