Review Wilson Staff Launch Pad Irons and Metal Woods

I definitely don’t hit long irons well. I hit two hybrids and my longest iron is a six so perhaps this is a long iron option.

I think you’d be happy with the performance out of these in the 6-7 spots.

Not sure which hybrids you game so tough for me to compare

I have come a long way from my first terse addition to this thread. I will hit them and see. The reviews and comments are solid and I love the brand.

I have come a long way from my first terse addition to this thread. I will hit them and see. The reviews and comments are solid and I love the brand.

Absolutely!! I would have never gamed these, but have been soooo surprised with how much I enjoy them, especially the long irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may have a full bag of Launch Pad soon. Rumor has it the woods are headed my way for review. I’m nervous about driver offset because I’ve never had any

I may have a full bag of Launch Pad soon. Rumor has it the woods are headed my way for review. I’m nervous about driver offset because I’ve never had any

Read over the preview article again, when you get a chance. There really isn’t much And its explained there.

Read over the preview article again, when you get a chance. There really isn’t much And its explained there.
I’m going off the Wilson inserts and website materials. I’m curious what “moderate” means to them. Iron offset doesn’t bother me so maybe it will be a good thing. Who knows at this point!

I’m going off the Wilson inserts and website materials. I’m curious what “moderate” means to them. Iron offset doesn’t bother me so maybe it will be a good thing. Who knows at this point!

As I mention in the article, the offset is pretty minimal in my opinion and the draw bias comes from the weight insert in the heel.

As a terrible golfer you’d think hybrid style irons would be right up my alley, but I’ve had poor results with the in the past. I’m interested in trying these though. Actually, I’m interested in the whole line.

As a terrible golfer you’d think hybrid style irons would be right up my alley, but I’ve had poor results with the in the past. I’m interested in trying these though. Actually, I’m interested in the whole line.

They have forgiveness for days, I would highly recommend giving them a swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the driver and FY showed up unexpectedly early today. Trying to rearrange my night to get a few swings in and get some early impressions. I’ll hand it to @JB, the offset isn’t all that noticeable on the driver. I think it sets up a bit closed at address but I can work with that. The FY super interesting - 19.5 degrees and is crazy light.

UST helium shafts in both. Should see some increased swing speed

Got some data today compared to the Ping G irons I normally game.

I didn’t have my beat swing by any means but hit the 6/8/P in each set.

Ping 6 IronFE3CFAFB-5307-4E35-B872-0300E8DD275A.jpeg
LP 6 Iron
995E8699-BBCD-4C6D-B783-CD991BD18C8B.jpeg
Ping 8 Iron
0A35149A-3AE7-4381-8B57-A1DFB28D2D68.jpeg
LP 8 Iron
822DBD1C-7491-4706-87E6-8E2BD47FE4EA.jpeg
Ping PW
624627DB-A6C3-40DD-9EFE-C562FC52F718.jpeg
LP PW
7642FD93-CAE5-493F-B5E7-9A8D268E49A0.jpeg
Overall not much difference between the two at all, especially considering there were a few outlier bad swings in there.
It’s a little surprising only because of how different these two sets look in terms of profile. I would have expected the hybrid irons to get a bit more distance.

Attachments

• 0B6850FB-FE3E-47B1-8FDA-C14CBF84487F.jpeg
    0B6850FB-FE3E-47B1-8FDA-C14CBF84487F.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 9
So the driver and FY showed up unexpectedly early today. Trying to rearrange my night to get a few swings in and get some early impressions. I’ll hand it to @JB, the offset isn’t all that noticeable on the driver. I think it sets up a bit closed at address but I can work with that. The FY super interesting - 19.5 degrees and is crazy light.

UST helium shafts in both. Should see some increased swing speed
Really looking forward to feedback about the FY. Seems like an interesting option to replace more than one club.

Got some data today compared to the Ping G irons I normally game.

I didn’t have my beat swing by any means but hit the 6/8/P in each set.

Ping 6 IronView attachment 8919737
LP 6 Iron
View attachment 8919738
Ping 8 Iron
View attachment 8919739
LP 8 Iron
View attachment 8919740
Ping PW
View attachment 8919742
LP PW
View attachment 8919743
Overall not much difference between the two at all, especially considering there were a few outlier bad swings in there.
It’s a little surprising only because of how different these two sets look in terms of profile. I would have expected the hybrid irons to get a bit more distance.
Spin!

Really looking forward to feedback about the FY. Seems like an interesting option to replace more than one club.
I’m intrigued as well. Today wasn’t a great swing day but I got a baseline on the FY. Ball speed was about where I expect a 5 wood. Spin was higher than a low lofted iron at ~4200 but also not all that bad. Some fading misses had spin over 5000, which killed distance (again, not a good swing day) but those are on me.

I agree this could maybe replace two club and I’m excited to try it again.

i'd be interested to see the numbers on this as well...see how they compare to the HL4 2 & 3 ironwoods.

i'd be interested to see the numbers on this as well...see how they compare to the HL4 2 & 3 ironwoods.
I’d love to give this info but I don’t have those clubs. You may have to hit them side by side.

0DBF5002-0FFD-422A-9AF0-2F45FC40A08B.jpeg

grabbed this little gem out of the video of my practice / testing session tonight.

the Launch Pad driver is sooooo light and it took some time to get used to. For those of you that don’t know my swing, it’s a hook machine when I’m off my game but hold off fades were surprisingly straight tonight.

Took these out the other day to compare to the following iron sets:

These have the KBS Tour 80 Stiff Flex Shafts

Bridgestone J15 DPF with :TrueTemper: Elevate Tour S300
Cobra F9 Irons with :NipponShaft: Modus Tour 105 Shafts in Stiff Flex.

Wilson Launch Pad irons with KBS Tour 80 Stiff Flex Shafts

Cleveland HB Launcher Turbos with :TrueTemper: AMT Red R300

In terms of performance - from a number perspective as well as Dispersion and Trajectory, I the F9s performed the best - mind you my inconsistent amateur swing changes each session lol.

Irons Trackman Dispersion 12.22.19.GIF

Irons Trackman Trajectory12.22.19.GIF

Purple is the Launch Pad Color for all of the data.

Wilson Launch Pads - these performed very well for me. Lower spin good launch, second best to the F9s and had ball speed up as well. Definitely felt like I needed to step into them in the bay that day to get them to do what I wanted, but it was easy to control start on the target line and to the right of the target line and saw some nice draws. A couple of the ones to the right of the target line just got hung out there. Sound is still that tingy noise, but performance was there for me with these in the session. Similar to the other sets, I wonder how these would perform with some other shafts.

Launch Pad 6i Trackman 12.22.19.GIF

The HB Launcher Turbos - surprisingly were one of the lowest launching irons, I wonder if it's the shaft in there as most of the feedback is the high launch in these. Definitely makes sense where I see the Launch Pads and F9s launching higher. Speed on these was in line with the J15s which was a surprise to me, but it's been a bit slower last couple outings.

But the dispersion and forgiveness is there in these irons - compared to the other ones, I didn't have an really short significant distance losses. Solid performance, I think can be improved on.

Turbo 6i Trackman 12.22.19.GIF

The J15s are my babies, tried and true and lots of great golf played with these - lateral dispersion was pretty tight, however not as great on the mishits as the other three sets - could get out there with the others but definitely giving up the forgiveness. From a launch standpoint, the lowest if not one of the lower ones.

J15 6i Trackman 12.22.19.GIF

Cobra F9 6i - This had the best launch - pretty tight dispersion, fastest ball speed and highest spin - 4,900 RPM spin for a 6i, almost 700 RPM better than the other heads. Solid outing for the F9

F9 6i Trackman 12.22.19.GIF

The Launch Pads have it in terms of - accuracy and forgiveness - performed very similar in that department to the Cleveland Turbos. In my testing they could arguably called better - averaged 4 yards more carry, a bit higher flight, 2 mph more ball speed - was lower spin though.

The HB Launcher Turbos - surprisingly were one of the lowest launching irons, I wonder if it's the shaft in there as most of the feedback is the high launch in these. Definitely makes sense where I see the Launch Pads and F9s launching higher. Speed on these was in line with the J15s which was a surprise to me, but it's been a bit slower last couple outings.

But the dispersion and forgiveness is there in these irons - compared to the other ones, I didn't have an really short significant distance losses. Solid performance, I think can be improved on.

Most likely spin rate.
Shaft can tweak some of that, but the body adjusts a bit over time as well.

I'm very interested in giving the Launch Pad irons and FY a try. I didn't really like the Cleveland Launcher irons but that doesn't mean anything right.
I do wonder with Cleveland, Cobra, TEE, Wilson and perhaps also Bridgestone (JGR) now in this hybrid iron SGI market segment, could Callaway and TM have something in the planning as well?

Took these out the other day to compare to the following iron sets:

These have the KBS Tour 80 Stiff Flex Shafts

Bridgestone J15 DPF with :TrueTemper: Elevate Tour S300
Cobra F9 Irons with :NipponShaft: Modus Tour 105 Shafts in Stiff Flex.

Wilson Launch Pad irons with KBS Tour 80 Stiff Flex Shafts

Cleveland HB Launcher Turbos with :TrueTemper: AMT Red R300

In terms of performance - from a number perspective as well as Dispersion and Trajectory, I the F9s performed the best - mind you my inconsistent amateur swing changes each session lol.

View attachment 8920040

View attachment 8920041

Purple is the Launch Pad Color for all of the data.

Wilson Launch Pads - these performed very well for me. Lower spin good launch, second best to the F9s and had ball speed up as well. Definitely felt like I needed to step into them in the bay that day to get them to do what I wanted, but it was easy to control start on the target line and to the right of the target line and saw some nice draws. A couple of the ones to the right of the target line just got hung out there. Sound is still that tingy noise, but performance was there for me with these in the session. Similar to the other sets, I wonder how these would perform with some other shafts.

View attachment 8920043

View attachment 8920044

The J15s are my babies, tried and true and lots of great golf played with these - lateral dispersion was pretty tight, however not as great on the mishits as the other three sets - could get out there with the others but definitely giving up the forgiveness. From a launch standpoint, the lowest if not one of the lower ones.

View attachment 8920042

Cobra F9 6i - This had the best launch - pretty tight dispersion, fastest ball speed and highest spin - 4,900 RPM spin for a 6i, almost 700 RPM better than the other heads. Solid outing for the F9

View attachment 8920039

The Launch Pads have it in terms of - accuracy and forgiveness - performed very similar in that department to the Cleveland Turbos. In my testing they could arguably called better - averaged 4 yards more carry, a bit higher flight, 2 mph more ball speed - was lower spin though.
I’m surprised by the spin numbers here. Mine were noticeably higher but yours seem in line with the others

I’m surprised by the spin numbers here. Mine were noticeably higher but yours seem in line with the others

I’ve used this place before and it seems like spin is inflated a bit - same baseline for all the clubs though - other places are more expensive and further to drive for me to get Other LM data

I’m not sure what’s going on but the extra swing speed from the light weight isn’t really translating to ball speed on the driver.

I’m not sure what’s going on but the extra swing speed from the light weight isn’t really translating to ball speed on the driver.

any thoughts on why that might be? Is it face construction?

Back