Winner Carried his Own Bag

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The Austrian Open was the first Euro Tour event since the coronavirus shut down took place in March, and the winner was Marc Warren picking up his 4th win and 1st in over 5 years.

Warren's caddie did not meet the protocols for the coronavirus, so he decided to carry his own bag.

''Hopefully this is the one and only time. No matter what I say, I do enjoy the caddie's company,'' Warren said. ''Last night I had a few nice texts from some of the caddies who are good friends. I didn't say it, but I was thinking I could have done with one of them (Saturday), it was brutal. At times like that you appreciate what a great job they do. I'm looking forward to getting a caddie on the bag again.''

GettyImages-1255740525.jpg
Image courtesy of Getty

Good for him! Too bad about his caddie, but nice to hear he could finish on top on his own.

Pretty cool story. He carried the staff bag it looks like which is way heavier than a stand bag but probably not necessary. I think it may be more likely he missed talking through the shot or club selection more than anything.

Really cool story.

• Admin
Pretty cool story. He carried the staff bag it looks like which is way heavier than a stand bag but probably not necessary. I think it may be more likely he missed talking through the shot or club selection more than anything.

I think it was the staff stand bag actually.

I think it was the staff stand bag actually.
Agree looks modified staff.. still adds weight...

Very cool story and awesome he played well... Hope his caddie is recovering swiftly

I saw this yesterday and thought it was really cool. I am sure the players appreciate their caddies, but carrying your bag one time or for a tournament helps put into perspective what they do. Carrying around a 30lb bag for 18 holes is way harder than it looks.

pretty impressive. These guys are so used to the dialogue with the caddie.

Too bad Callaway didn't ship him the lightest stand bag they own :eek:

That’s damn impressive! Regardless of your fitness level, carrying your bag takes a lot out of you.p

That's really impressive that he was able to pull off the win doing that. I don't care who you are, carrying your bag over the span of a few days in a row would get tough.

pretty cool story. can't imagine what it's like to play at that level and lug a bag around, even if it's not a full on staff bag.

One Positive though, he gets to keep all the winnings as their is no caddie to give their percentage too

Pretty awesome. Dedication on his part.

Yes, I saw that. I wonder if others will attempt it? However it could be quite enervating on hot, humid days.

That's really impressive that he was able to pull off the win doing that. I don't care who you are, carrying your bag over the span of a few days in a row would get tough.

Impressive indeed. Carrying his own bag for the tourney is quite impressive. Winning the tourney ramps it up a few levels.

Agree looks modified staff.. still adds weight...

Very cool story and awesome he played well... Hope his caddie is recovering swiftly
Maybe I missed it. Was it stated somewhere that his caddie was infected?

Good for him to continue. Glad he openly says how much his caddy was missed.

Pretty cool. I know listening to Dan Patrick they discussed this with Phil and Bubba I think. They didn't seem to cool with the idea, but I think it would be neat to see how many of these golfers could survive w/o their caddies for a tournament or two.

Permission to add potentially controversial global take on this scenario?
Scotland (Warren's homeland) was critical in WWII in key battles in leading to allied victory, along with industrial support building ships, etc.
Austrian Open. His caddie didn't fail the test. They simply "lost the results." How convenient.
I'll say more if allowed. But this is more dirty corona business at work. This is a super way to stack/limit fields for betting purposes.
Yepper.

Bravo, Mr. Warren. Bravo. And thank you to our friends in Scotland for their hand in our freedoms to this day and their monumental sacrifices.

Scotland (Warren's homeland) was critical in WWII in key battles in leading to allied victory, along with industrial support building ships, etc.
Austrian Open. His caddie didn't fail the test. They simply "lost the results." How convenient.
I'll say more if allowed. But this is more dirty corona business at work. This is a super way to stack/limit fields for betting purposes.
Yepper.

Bravo, Mr. Warren. Bravo. And thank you to our friends in Scotland for their hand in our freedoms to this day and their monumental sacrifices.

For once do you think you could not turn a thread into some political conspiracy theory? Just let the thread be what it is. A guy winning while carrying his bag.

Yepper.

Kind of a

moment with that comment.😎

Kudos to this guy!

Have some historical perspective to add or anything?
It seems "out there" until you see so many examples at every turn. I've been interested in history for years and was expecting this all to unfold for over 25 years now. Incremental progressiveism. It's meant to lull you to sleep until the shite really starts to hit the fan. History repeating. If you know history, red flags should be going off for people all over the globe. Its very easy to see, really. You just have to be strong enough to stand up to it. Fear will win.

I see Thomas Bjorn also is congratulating Warren as well. Netherlands were victim to the you know who in WWII as well.
Go ask Thomas Bjorn and others congratulating him right now. They are all from countries which withstood this assault once before in history.

Am I seeing it right that the Euro Tour is now being called the "Old World Tour?"

Back