Would you join Augusta?

There is so much discrimination that this wouldn't bother me:

1) Gender discrimination in auto insurance (females are always lower)
2) Age discrimination (To be an air traffic controller you MUST be hired by 31)
3) Racial reverse discrimination (I've seen college scholarships for women, for african americans, for hispanics, for people with 2 different eye colors...never seen a scholarship specifically for white males)
4) In college there were clubs/bars all over where the age to enter for males was 21 but 18 for women

It's the world we live in. I'd join in a heartbeat.

Thought they were weak to let women join. Would love to have the money to join and would. Speaking of discrimination what about the girl scouts. A lot of things are exclusive and I have no problem with that.

100% and I wouldn't think twice.

Yes, because the only way to affect change is from the inside.

Plus it's an amazing place that I've yet to visit but I need to.

I would. If you want to change something wouldn't it be better to try from within vs. from the outside?

Couldn't say it better than this.

it is a private club, they can admit whom ever they wish, if they would have me, I would join in a new York minute

You and I both pop. Like you said it's private. They can have whom ever they wish because it's theirs and no or else's.

I wouldn't think twice about joining!

who wouldn't? But the thing about Augusta is, it's not really a club you would go to daily it's more a golf status symbol, a busy weekend for them is 70-80 rounds. as for funds to join, I don't believe it's that expensive & you have to be invited.

I'd definitely join.

I heard on the radio yesterday that members get a year end letter which states whether or not they owe dues. Apparently it's only happened twice in the last 25 years. One of them being the Martha Burke year where they went commercial free.

Absolutely I would join.

I would join and keep my mouth shut for the first 100 or so rounds.

Yes, I would join Augusta. I think that would be a dream come true. And as to the point on discrimination, I don't care. They are a private organization, they can do what they want. If people really don't like it, they'll bow out, and capitalism and the market will determine whether they survive.

I didn't drop out of the boy scouts because they didn't let girls in.

~Rock

I would absolutely join. That stuff is a little strange, yes. However, there are tons of clubs/groups that I would not be allowed to join because of my gender/race, and that doesn't bother me at all.

I agree with this completely! And there are plenty of examples that could be given that would start a whole other debate.

Simple answer to this one, yes I'd join Augusta if given the chance. There are many organizations that are gender restricted, and this is no different.

Without any hesitation. I was there for a practice round last year. What a great course.

Probably not. I don't do well in stuffy, butt kissing environments where I have to be like everyone else. Great golf, facilities, history, all that, I just couldn't sell myself out to fit in, IMO.

Yes, I would join, without a doubt.

You and I both pop. Like you said it's private. They can have whom ever they wish because it's theirs and no or else's.

it is a private club, they can admit whom ever they wish, if they would have me, I would join in a new York minute

Count me in - I would join in a heartbeat.

I'd join w/ no hesitations..even though they discriminate against me cuz I'm middle class

YABBA DABBA DOOOOOOO

A lot more yes's than I expected honestly but nothing wrong with that at all, it was an honest question. I wonder what dues are there lol, I've heard $1 to $150,000

A lot more yes's than I expected honestly but nothing wrong with that at all, it was an honest question. I wonder what dues are there lol, I've heard $1 to $150,000

Dues or initiation? Most runours appear to have initiation under $100,000 and yearly dues in the $3000-$5000 range.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I would join and wouldnt think twice.

I am shocked people said No.

I'd certainly be a member. Hands down.

I think that you have to understand what Augusta National is. It's a living, breathing organization of people, just like any other organization you can be a part of. People have flaws. People change. Augusta National is changing, but dramatic change takes time.

They'd have to change much more before I would. But, I am certainly no better than any of the decision makers there.
Amazing place though...

I would join. Major skim alert, but a lot of the members (Buffett) have come out and said they're against the now defunct men's only policy, which btw has been lifted.

If the question was Pine Valley, which is still men's only and it would mean that my daughter or wife would not be welcome as a member, but would also mean I could join one of the best courses in the world, it would be a tougher call, but the answer is yes, I'd still join.

As long as they aren't taking any tax dollars, it's a private club and they are free to do as they please. I would join in a heartbeat and not think twice.

Back