Would you play a course with artificial turf tee boxes?

I would but I wouldn’t be thrilled.

Funny thing is @jfox789 and I played the Cradle (par 3 at Pinehurst) and they we’re using mats and to be honest it felt like cheating since it’s mostly partial wedges.

@OldandStiff they were on flat tee boxes.

NO

Many courses in England/Scotland have "Winter Tees" that are mats, Especially Par 3's, nobody seems to mind.

Yes no issues if i can play i will!

I mean I’ll try anything once…. Ha ha. Got to be better than no grass or super shaggy.

Level and get my tee in...absolutely

I wouldn’t object to it.

They've rebuilt most of our winter tees with new mats. Sure beats not playing in winter!!!

A

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

yup... I hit driver off everything but par 3's so mats don't bother me.

1A799B99-0D1D-4012-9F54-12C431D992A7.jpeg

Not only would I...I have on multiple occasions.

There is a par 60 executive course in Cupertino, California that has manufactured grass tee boxes. There are six par 4s on this course, so there are times you'll get out driver or fairway metal as well as tee off with your irons. They use those tees exclusively during the rainy season and then off and on those tees at other times of the year. The Peter Hay short course at Pebble Beach also had manufactured grass tee boxes in recent years. I haven't been down there since Tiger Woods redid that course, so I don't know what the tee boxes there look like today.

I was a founder of a company that designed and installed manufactured grass. We did some 2-4 hole designs and installs on estates where the manufactured grass wasn't just on the tees, but included the fairways and greens. Of course, I had to test those out.;)

I'd really worry about them on a par 3... but other than that, fine, if my club is hitting the ground, I've got larger issues~! :LOL:

If I get to play golf, I would care what tee boxes had. Just getting to play, I am in!!

Yes

If it’s the only game in town and the rest of the course is decent, sure. Better choices elsewhere? Then, nah.

Yes, not a problem. Fine with decent matts anchored to a nice level surface. My course has a free 4 hole short course tucked away a few hundred yards from the club house. Each hole has an artificial tee box and also a grass box. Great 'course' for kids and also for avid golfers to practice partial scoring shots. I was out there dialing in my short game when they swapped out the matts earlier this year. Learned the concrete pads are recessed to insure no slippage and there's an additional layer of high density foam sitting under each professional grade matt. Very well done IMO.

Last edited:
A point that I didn’t think of is the unfair help that the mats give you. We have all hit that chunky shot in a sim that damn near went in the hole.

There are mats on an exec par 3 course here. We play it because it's $7 and allows walk ons, but someone complains about the mats just about every time. Hitting 58* wedge (or any club) off of a mat doesn't even really feel like 1:1 practice for when you get on a real course and most of these mats are beat to ****.

Wouldn't bother me at all.

Sure. Don’t really see the issue. Especially if you are using a tee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Absolutely!

I think solutions like mats on tee boxes ie. concrete pad with turf will become more viable in the future as courses look for ways to deal with maintenance costs.

Yes. Absolutely.
heck a step further, I’d play with artificial Astro turf greens year round too if it kept a course open.

Back