Would you play a course with artificial turf tee boxes?

Wouldn’t bother me so long as you can still tee up an iron.

Mats do tend to put a bit more spin on the ball though so there is that to think about.

Depending on the course...

Yea, sure why not!

IF I can get MY tee in it, absolutely.

When I first started golfing a lot of courses had a black rubber mat on top of a concrete slab. You had to put the tee in different holes in the mat. Now those sucked so I would have no problem with an artificial tee.

Have never seen it but sure. I'd give it a chance

A par 3 just opened down the road from me with synthetic tee and greens. I’ll check it out in the spring time.

The First Tee facility in Cleveland is a 9 hole short course with both grass and artificial tees. I have played the artificial ones when the grass has been closed. It's a good idea for beginners, I think.

When I lived in Chicago, there is a 3 hole learning course in Douglass Park. It was a 15 minute drive from my house, and I would go there to work on short game. They have artificial tees and greens! I would go there with a shag bag and play. They didn't charge a fee, and I rarely saw anyone out there anyway. It wasn't in the best part of town... one time when I was leaving, there was a bit of a commotion near the parking lot. A guy in the park found a dead body in the pond, which had just thawed out.

Mats do tend to put a bit more spin on the ball though so there is that to think about.
This caught my attention because I would think the opposite were true because the the club doesn't pass through and the ball wont ride the face as much. Now whether or not my reasoning for it is right or wrong, I did indeed find the opposite is true in that mats decrease spin (not increase).

I believe St. Andrews plays Artificial Turf throughout the course in the winter.
Tee off with the turf and where the ball land, you put down a piece of Astroturf (Hold down with tee or special ones that dig in to the ground) and hit the ball from there.
Keeps the course from being beat up when the grass doesn't grow.

Have played countless hours of golf on sim. No reason I would use mats on tee boxes.

Sure, I play dog tracks all the time, nothing scary to me.

If it means no more sh**ty tee boxes that are dug up and not level I'm all for it. (y)

As long as the tee box is level, artificial tee boxes would not be a problem.

Sure why not. 14 tee shots are likely driver or fairway wood I don’t have an issue with that.

Sure, why not as long sits only the tee box

I have played a few courses with 1-2 tees using mats. I am okay with that as long as one can insert a tee to one's desired height.

A local course has a tee box in the middle of a marsh. Boardwalk to the tee and then to the other side. It is a par 5 and one really needs to hit driver but, of course, it is mainly just a carpet. A few people have drilled/hammered some holes. It is possible to tee a ball but it still is a challenge to get a tee at the right height.

I've not personally, but don't see any reason why I wouldn't.

I’d rather have a mat and a tee than some lumpy hell hole to hit out of.

I've done it. Par 3s are the worst, so much spin off the mat, probably my fault for not adjusting properly but holy moly I zip it back 20 feet lol
Other than that, flat lie tee boxes are the bees knees!

I'd probably not pick to, but if it's play on mats or don't play at all then I'd definitely play on mats

The short answer: Yes.
fake turf on the tee is fine is I am hitting off of a tee. I have seen a lot of tee boxes in bad shape from no grass to uneven ground. The worst is tee boxes in the shade where grass would not grown well or at all. Toss some mats down.

Yup, no problem with it and have hit off a par 3 course like that.

Back