Would you play non conforming wedges?

Are you talking about new or recent wedges designed from the off to be non-conforming?

No. Das interessiert mich nicht.

Are you talking about old wedges that USGA may or may not get around to declaring non-conforming at some point a few years hence?

Sure. If I owned one I'd have no qualms about playing it.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Only if they were once conforming and were no longer so. I would not buy non-conforming wedges to use.

Only if they were once conforming and were no longer so. I would not buy non-conforming wedges to use.
What’s the actual difference though? They’re still both non-conforming, yeah?

Why?

other than sucking back a bunch (which is nice to look at) what benefit would there be?

other than sucking back a bunch (which is nice to look at) what benefit would there be?
Some people don’t produce a lot of spin, couldn’t it benefit those people?

Also could just be fun?

No, I wouldn't use them, though this question reminds me of the USGA's groove rule. (n)

If I want to get DQ at tourneys 😅

No, I play competitive rounds :ROFLMAO: and try to keep a accurate ghin.

Nope, I try to follow the rules of golf for posting rounds as best I can.

What’s the actual difference though? They’re still both non-conforming, yeah?
If they were conforming when I got them, and they are still serviceable, why should I go out and buy new wedges? The USGA has a history of making, what I consider to be, nonsensical decisions targeted at the elite of the elite that have little or no applicability to the typical amateur, like me. I don't get my equipment free like the pros do.

If they were conforming when I got them, and they are still serviceable, why should I go out and buy new wedges? The USGA has a history of making, what I consider to be, nonsensical decisions targeted at the elite of the elite that have little or no applicability to the typical amateur, like me. I don't get my equipment free like the pros do.
But couldn’t you say the non conforming new wedges were once conforming by the old rules? Isn’t it the same?

Yep, no problem. I could play non conforming wedges, clubs and golf balls without issue. I don't get paid to play golf. I don't carry a handicap. I don't play in competitions. I find I can golf better when I keep score with an eraser on my pencil... :ROFLMAO:

Are the wedges guaranteed to improve my game and give me more spin? I'll throw them in my bag, say "awesome!", be able to sleep at night and look myself in the mirror the following day. No problem.

Some people don’t produce a lot of spin, couldn’t it benefit those people?

Also could just be fun?
I guess the old saying applies here...to each his own....I mean I don't play in tournaments that it would matter, and I do have in fact a Ping lob wedge with grooves that were grandfathered in, but I still choose to play my current wedges because I know what to expect out of them.

I guess the old saying applies here...to each his own....I mean I don't play in tournaments that it would matter, and I do have in fact a Ping lob wedge with grooves that were grandfathered in, but I still choose to play my current wedges because I know what to expect out of them.
How much time would it take to know what you’d get out of the older wedge?

No I would not. I play competitions enough that I wouldn't play them in, and I'm not interested in switching back and forth each round depending on whether I'm playing a round for fun or in a competition or league.

Not for me. While I have never had my clubs checked out at a tournament I wouldn't feel comfortable using them.

Sure - as long as they weren't destroying the cover of my golf ball everytime I used them. That would get very expensive

But couldn’t you say the non conforming new wedges were once conforming by the old rules? Isn’t it the same?
Not necessarily. They could have been nonconforming for other reasons under the old rules. There is also intent involved. When purchased, there was no intent to play a nonconforming club, and the only way those current wedges would become nonconforming would be outside my control.

If I still played in competitions of any kind, I, obviously, would have to ditch the wedges that were once conforming, but no longer so, purchasing wedges that would be conforming under current rules.

How much time would it take to know what you’d get out of the older wedge?
I already have a given, so why should I spend time just looking what I could (or not) out of my old Ping?

I already have a given, so why should I spend time just looking what I could (or not) out of my old Ping?
Because it’s fun to talk about golf theoreticals on a golf forum. 🤣

Back