Would you play non conforming wedges?

I wouldn't go out and buy them, but I still ocassionally play older non-conforming wedges. Great timing as I just found an old (many years old) wedge in my stach of clubs. I don't ever remember getting it, it's green, 64*, and still in plastic. I just put it in my car and can't wait to try it. Feel, Designer Series I think it is.

That Stingray wedge from a few years ago was a lot of fun. I wouldn’t game it full time since I’d get used to crazy spin that I didn’t have, but it’d make an appearance at least once a month

have before and would do it again....why not.?
They were a freaking blast.

I have a Ping Eye 2 copper sand and lob wedge and use them. I don't know whether they're conforming or not.

I would have said no. Except I recently learned that the Vokey 60 deg wedge in my bag is non-conforming. Who knew? Certainly not me. I'm not playing in anything competitive or handicap dependent, so I don't feel I've had a competitive advantage. It's life is short though - it'll be replaced with the Vokey Experience.

No problem with it at all- I’d give them a run.

Hell yes I would, and would love to spin the ball like crazy and zip them around all over the place.

No because the conforming wedges are so good there I really don't see any benefit in it. I can spin the ball as well or better with conforming wedges than I did before the groove rule went into effect.

Not knowingly no. Plus, all the best tech is packed into new clubs that are confirming and I need all the wedge help I can get.
Who says non conforming doesn’t have tech though?

No because the conforming wedges are so good there I really don't see any benefit in it. I can spin the ball as well or better with conforming wedges than I did before the groove rule went into effect.
Hold this thought…. 😜

I would try them out, why not.

Back in the 90’s there were a few companies making illegal wedges. My friends dd bought one to mess around with and let me play with it. The thing messed up the cover of my precept ev extra spin.

Probably not, I get what I need out of all the conforming ones.

A friend of mine that was a golf course superintendent at Skybrook Golf Course down near Charlotte many years ago said he found one of these "special" wedges on the course one day. After days of waiting someone to claim it, he said he took it out and just wanted to see if he could get the ball to spin. His normal round is in the 80's so he can play. At least, scoring in the 80's seems awesome to me. He said he had a blast with this club. Balls were spinning like crazy. Now, I don't own one, but I bet they are pretty fun.

Not on a regular basis but I’m sure they’d be fun to fool around with a shot here or there

Are my old Ping Eye2 with square grooves non-conforming or are they grandfathered in?

Nope. I can play fine with conforming wedges, so no reason to go non-conforming.

In a “for fun” bag, sure. As part of my everyday 14, no thanks.

Nah. A lot of great options that make it unnecessary

Haven’t purposefully ever used non conforming anything … my gear is all conforming legitimate.

Do have empathy for those who have previous models etc and also those , who don’t play in “official ” events

I was thinking along the same lines. With modern micromilling on wedges, I usually want to mitigate spin, not spin it more. And I'm an old fart (64) if I can still spin the cover off the ball, young bucks sure shouldn't need to be going nonconforming to get spin.

I've played some weird stuff over the years in the name of science. Long term? Probably not. It's not so much a moral issue to me, but more an ego thing. On the off chance something great happens, I'd rather not have to put an asterisk next to it.

If I did it would be an accident. I play for fun and probably wouldn’t know. I play brands that I expect to conform

Back