Would you play without a fairway wood?

I tend to have much more consistency with my hybrids over my fairway woods so very much thinking about dumping my fairway woods for a 2h, 4h, 5h or 2h, 3h, 4h setup.

My bag would look like:

Driver
2h, 3h, 4h
5-9 irons
PW, 50, 55, 60
Putter

I'm really liking this setup for consistency and for gapping

I play the same setup. It works for me minus a broken 5 iron shaft at the moment. The hybrids give me an option that it won't hurt me to do without it for a while.

My 3-wood and me are practically best buddies!

I do often. Rarely play a fairway wood, prefer my hybrids.

I am thinking about doing this. my only wood is a 16.5 fairway wood right now. I want to see if I can find a 16 degree hybrid I can hit more consistently. Even if I lose a few yards, I will be a few yards short IN THE FAIRWAY!

I also went the route of hybrids only at one point. The Adam's super s hybrids were absolute rockets for me but the distances could be very inconsistent depending on contact.
Now I have the Cobra baffler f6 set to 19 degrees I posted earlier and a Callaway steelhead 9wood I have customized the loft to be 23 degrees instead of the stock 24.
At 41.5 and 41 inches they both sit right between a fairway and a hybrid and seem to be the best of both worlds

I have a 3W in my bag for tight fairways and longer par 5 2nd shots. I wouldn't play without one at this point.

Right now my 3W goes significant further than the 3H, so I couldn’t justify taking it out. There’s definitely new equipment out there that could make me reconsider, but right now I think it adds a unique dynamic to my bag off the tee and from the fairway on par 5’s (and par 4’s after wasted tee shots 😆)

I use my 3-wood so many times during a round, but usually from the tee on shorter par-4's. Now that I have 2 drivers, I could get by without it - but I would sure miss it!

No way, when your drives only go 140 you need all the help you can get.

I did a lot of experimenting this past year and settled on this:

11.5° Driver
19° Heavenwood
22° 4h
24° 9 wood
25° 5h

The gapping works well for me. If I was going to pull anything out of my bag, it would be the Heavenwood. I’m much more consistent with the 4h off the fairway and crap lies, and my driver is reliable enough that I don’t really need the Heavenwood as a “control” tee club. My 2nd shots over 160 are usually with the 4h. The 9 wood is specifically for the 150-160 yard approach shots where I need the ball to stick. Otherwise, the 5h takes over. Probably just need more range time getting comfortable with the Heavenwood.

No fairway wood for going on 3 years now.

No need for me, I don't play hybrids, instead have 3W and 5W in the bag with my driver.

I only picked up fairway woods last year, so I could give it a go. But I’m much happier with my gapping when the FW are included; especially the 5W.

It's a possibility this year. I may give my 16* 3/4-fwy a break in favor of a 16* 2/3-hybrid at some point, just to see what happens.
"Some point" is today.

I'm currently not playing a 3W, and my 5W isn't that much longer than my 5H. I could live without the 5W if I had to, but it would usually mean going 1-2 clubs longer for approach shots.

Fairly inconsistent from time to time with my fairway woods but that leaves a big gap in my bag. I’d say no.

I play without a 5w and sub in a hybrid a good amount. I'm actually thinking of going back to that this year.

3w would be an interesting one. If I could find a hybrid that reliably substituted the distance I don't see why not.

I'd die without my 3-wood... lol

Up until today (when my new clubs got here) I had played the last three rounds going Driver to an old Slingshot hybrid. Had absolutely no issues, but none of the courses I played were terribly long.

Last Sunday I got rid of the 3 Wood. I had a 2 Hybrid and I traded my 3 Wood for a 3 Hybrid. Really enjoying it!

I play without a 5w and sub in a hybrid a good amount. I'm actually thinking of going back to that this year.

3w would be an interesting one. If I could find a hybrid that reliably substituted the distance I don't see why not.
It looks like I may finally have a Callaway Super Hybrid incoming, so I'll be testing it to see if it's a FW replacement.

It looks like I may finally have a Callaway Super Hybrid incoming, so I'll be testing it to see if it's a FW replacement.
Hope it works for you. For me, I did not see much benefit.

Hope it works for you. For me, I did not see much benefit.
I hit it nicely at my fitting, now just to see if that transfers over to the course.

I hit it nicely at my fitting, now just to see if that transfers over to the course.
definitely a good club, and for many it will be killer. But for me I just saw similar numbers to what I would typically expect from a hybrid in general these days.

Back