Would you play without a fairway wood?

Bryndom

2023 Grandaddy X!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 15
I tend to have much more consistency with my hybrids over my fairway woods so very much thinking about dumping my fairway woods for a 2h, 4h, 5h or 2h, 3h, 4h setup.

My bag would look like:

Driver
2h, 3h, 4h
5-9 irons
PW, 50, 55, 60
Putter

I'm really liking this setup for consistency and for gapping

If it works for you, go with it.

For over a season, my bag had 1-4h, 5-9i, PW, AW, SW, putter. No driver or fairway metals. It worked well for me.

No. I have 3 fairway woods in my current setup. I wouldn’t play without fairway woods.

I am currently gaming 2-4h as well, although only on a simulator so far. I'm only giving up 5ish yards of carry, and the miss isn't nearly as penal. I'm hoping it carries over into the golf season.

I have 2 in my bag but I never use them, much more comfortable with my irons. I might need to look into some hybrids.

I do now :)

I have my bag setup this year that depending on which course I am playing, I am either pulling out the 5w or pulling out the 60 deg wedge. On the short courses, I'll be playing driver/3h/4i at the top of the bag with an extra wedge on the bottom. On a longer course, I'll keep the 5w in play and go without the 60 deg wedge.

I played without a FW for a couple of years. Hybrids were more consistent and easier to hit for me.

But when a case of the hooks hit my hybrids and never left, I went back to my old Optiforce 4W and more fairway-like hybrid, the Wilson Staff Fybrid.

It's been a while now, though. I'll be willing to once again revisit the banished sometime soon.

It's a possibility this year. I may give my 16* 3/4-fwy a break in favor of a 16* 2/3-hybrid at some point, just to see what happens.

I use my strong 3 wood off the tee on average 7 or 8 times each round so that one is more important than my driver. My 4 wood I could substitute for a hybrid but I haven't yet found a hybrid that worked as well for me as a FW or driving iron.

Every round I play is sans FW wood. Wouldn’t have it any other way for me.

Yeah if it's working for you I say give it a try. Me personally? I could never do it. I love my 3 woods way too much to ever pull it from the bag.

Don't know why I carry one, can't hit it that good!

I pulled my 4w to put a 3h in the bag. I have a 2h in an old set that I did not get along with so could not go that far

I have a bag of clubs that consists of 12 TE Ironwoods. (2i through LW)

It also has a putter and a 12* 2W for a driver.

I play this bag several times a year, and still break 90 even though there is a loss of distance from my main gamer metal wood bag.

I get a kick when I show up on the first tee, playing with people who don't know me. They see my iron bag and give me their best "wth" look.

Can’t hit a fairway anymore so dumped in favor of a 3i hybrid, looking my to gap between driver and that with either a driving iron or low deg hybrid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you cant hit a fairway but can hit a hybrid why not?

If you dont need a fairway for off the tee and a hybrid or long iron is good enough off then again why not?

I like having a fairway in the bag for off the tee and for long approaches. While my 5 wood is more of a supercharged hybrid playing at an equivalent of 2 or 3 hybrid length I can see the appeal of a hybrid over a fairway.

Doing it now, the Super Hybrids are as long for me as a FW

my 3W comes out when there's a super blood harvest full moon...so basically, I play without it. Driver > 3H > 4H > 5i

I could and I probably did for a while long ago. Now, I rely on the my 3wd way too much. I could probably get around the course without it, but I'd likely go to a Driver, One Mini, hybrid setup if I were to dump the fairway woods all together.

If it works, why not? I personally would never give up my fairway woods. I have given up my hybrids though and have never looked back. I tried various hybrids but never really liked them and finally decided that I needed to stop trying to follow the trend that weekend hackers need to carry hybrids.
Last year I dumped my 3H in favor of a 5W and couldnt be happier.

I could make it work.

I tend to have much more consistency with my hybrids over my fairway woods so very much thinking about dumping my fairway woods for a 2h, 4h, 5h or 2h, 3h, 4h setup.

My bag would look like:

Driver
2h, 3h, 4h
5-9 irons
PW, 50, 55, 60
Putter

I'm really liking this setup for consistency and for gapping
No

I already do this. Go driver, 1h, 3i at the top of the bag

If it works for you and you're happy with the gapping, why not?

Back