Would you play without a fairway wood?

I haven't found a similarly lofted/distance hybrid yet that I can elevate (meaning more than 20' off the ground) as well as my 3W so the answer is no for now. Not saying no indefinitely as I never thought I'd game a hybrid in the 5W spot of my bag, but that changed last year so anything is possible.

I have three Callaway Super Hybrids in the bag at the moment and no fairway woods. They are magic wands with jailbreak technology haha.

This would be ok, but I enjoy hitting the 3w and feel I am doing a good job utilizing it on the course, probably not going to ditch it. If there was a chance that you had to get rid of 1 club it would be the gap wedge.

I like fairway woods.
I go with #s 4, 5, and 7.
They match one another but not the driver.

I don't dislike hybrids, but have no role for them in my game.

Dumped my 4h that I was hitting well about 50% of the time and bagged my 7w again, getting about 85% out of it.

I'm not sure I ever want to drop my fairway wood. I use it pretty often off the tee and I don't know if I would find something to replace that. Maybe something like the Super Hybrid would get me close.

Probably should. It pretty much just models a cool headcover and get in the way when I'm reaching for the Forest Finder. Another hybrid would work better.

I no longer play with ant fairway woods in my bag either. I'm currently have 2h, 3h, and 4h in the bag. Much easier to get into the air than my 3w.

Sure I could as it’s my least used club, but I’ll keep it.

I went with a 4 wood, 7 wood, 4h and 5h. I couldn't find a 3 wood that I could consistently hit with good trajectory. Thus, switch to a 4 wood for added loft and better dispersion.

The way I struggle at times with fairway woods I often pull the 3W out of the bag in favor of another wedge as it is. I think if I could find a hybrid that would go as far even just off the tee I would ditch the 3W permanently.

Gotta have my 3W and 5W

Considering swapping the 3W for something else BUT, I hit it only 2 X yesterday. It was 50-50. 1 good 1 bad. But I like the club! Should a 2 hybrid be a better club for me?

At one point last year I played Driver, 2-LW, putter. Bag looked cool with only one wood in it, but wasn’t the most practical.

I went a long time without playing a fairway wood until I was fitted into the 16.5 TS3 last year before the Titleist event. Now I wonder how the previous decade would have gone if I would have done a fitting sooner.

I hit my woods sometimes when needed, yet most of the time they are not needed. There are a couple of courses in the area that the 5 wood or 3 wood is good from the teen. From the fairways I usually can get there with my irons without a problem. My 3 wood and my 5 wood are so close in yardage, hardly makes sense to use the 3 wood any more.

My FW wood is currently in timeout and replaced by the 3H. The 3H is a bit shorter but I make a better contact. Better for me being 15y short and in the fairway then 30 yards into the rough. Likely a shaft issue

Like others have said, play with what works for you. The new Callaway super hybrids have made me question the top end of my bag..

Played today without one and it made me think. I do like hitting 3-4 wood off the tee but it's not really essential and my 3h would be fine in those situations, same for long approaches. So I guess I could do without it but not sure I will choose to.

Small sample size and I don't know if it's 'better', but it hasn't been detrimental so far.

Game Golf going toes up is complicating this comparison.

Last edited:
Both fairway woods and hybrids are firmly in the bag. Partly due to tradition. But, I would need to compare my 5 wood adjusted -1 against a 2H or 3H to see the difference in distance and playability.

the more I think about it the more I want to hit the Tour Edge clubs. Stuff is beginning to open in my area so there's a chance I can at least hold one.(y)

Played again without a fairway wood and it's really making me think. I've been murdering my 3h from the tee and deck and it's far less likely to get me into trouble. Only advantage is a 3W may give me 10-15 more yards off the tee, but that doesn't really matter if I'm hitting less than driver anyway. I may toy with a strong 3 wood for tee only use, but that may start encroaching on driver territory. Decisions, decisions.

I would be willing to trade another club, but given I am not a long hitter I prefer this club off the deck and good lies in the rough on Par 5s

Back