Would you rather... checkup or release?

Watching a ball check up sure looks good and I’ll play that sometimes, but I play release a whole lot more with more clubs.

I’ll take release.

I prefer my ball to release

Check up. I can't put spin on the ball around the greens. I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've had a ball check up on the green.

I want it to do what I want it to do. You said don’t answer it depends but in my opinion it does. I don’t play the same shot all the time so for me it depends 🤷🏻‍♂️

it depends on the lie, how much green I have to work with, and how the greens are reacting that day.😎

Year and half ago I would say check up. Without much play or practice the short game is always the first to go for me.

Now it's a little more roll but I still throw it towards the target a bit. Happy medium in most case something doesn't go as planned.

8/10 times I’m playing it to release. But, it still does depend on the shot you need to play.

I like to hit lowish liners that check, but if there's even the slightest doubt on how it will react (lie, pitch/slope/grain of the green, moisture, etc) I default to carrying it just past the fringe to run.

Check up because it looks G

On the greens at my home course I would rather see the ball check as we have some 2-tier greens and others that are small with quite a bit of slope, so being able to fly the ball closer to the hole and have it check up is usually going to give a better result, especially when some of the pins are tucked away

30 yards and in I play for a release 90% of the time.

Getting it on the ground and running is the safest play.
It's the "Safest play" but not the sexiest! :ROFLMAO:

And I like Sexy! Check-up all day for moi!

Would rather check up so I can be aggressive, but I would take either with consistency.

I would love to hit those check up chips but I can't seem to get the hang of it, so I play the release type of chip.

I'm very much a 'get it on the ground ASAP' guy.

Even though this might mean using the putter from off the green, I'll still pull a wedge - even if only an inch off the green. Might be a leak in my game but the results (so far) have been good enough over the years. I'm way too uncomfortable with a putter in my hands from off the green. I realize this isn't the question hahaha sorry for the mini-derail.

Release. I don’t have the technique to do an effective check shot.

I love a good check.

Even though I love playing my 60* on 90% of my short game shots….. I would rather release all day. Most of my shots with the 60 are planned to release a few yards. Not many am I trying to zip in there and just stop the ball. Even though that is pretty sexy haha

Here's a different perspective on this.

I play in a lot of tournaments and practice rounds as a single. So, I end up playing with quite a number of golfers. When I hit a hop and stop chip or pitch into the green almost 100% of the time the reaction from all my playing partners is: "I wish I could do that."

I like a check-and-release for most chips and pitches. I generally visualize how I want the shot to look, factoring in the amount of check and release. Then I pick a spot to land the ball and (hopefully) match the trajectory with the shot I'm intending.

100% depends on what I need it to do for the shot I need to hit for that situation.

I want some check especially with my wedges. I want to play shots that run and try to do that with lower lofted clubs.

release. Im using my 50 for most situation that I can so I can really get comfortable with its release.

I choose release but I don't play tournament golf. If I did, I would chose check. Pros find more pins hidden behind shelves, near edges and on hard greens that roll out.

We typically want what we don't have, so give me the check up. I'm tired of landing the ball where I think I should and seeing it run off the other side of the green. Heck, in my round a couple of days ago I hit a full swing 9 iron that landed right in line about 10 feet in front of the hole then ran 15 feet past it. If a full swing runs that far, just imagine what my pitches and chips do.

Back