Xbox One and PS4 Systems

Yes, it was confirmed by Microsoft that it will still work without it connected. Link below has that info and more on security.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/12/4615458/disconnect-kinect-and-xbox-one-will-still-work

I like that a lot. MS has done a nice job backing off some of the ridiculous original claims they made, like always online and used games.

Update 2: In an official statement sent to Polygon, Microsoft said, "There were several factors we took into account when we made this decision, but ultimately we felt removing the requirement lets you decide when you want Kinect attached to your Xbox One and when you don't. We've always given the option to turn Kinect On or Off and we still believe that once you try the all-new Kinect and the game and entertainment experiences it enhances or enables, you won't want to use your Xbox One without it."

Funny, you have a choice whether to use it, just not a choice whether to buy it hahahaha

I'm wondering if Steam will be able to grab some market share with Steam Box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both the current systems , and I think the PS3 is a better media system . I wont be leaping into purchasing either of the new consoles any time soon. There are several issues for me regarding both systems that will likely be rectified with software updates but at the moment stop me wanting either . The PS4 has lost most of its multimedia facets (no DLNA NO MP3 or cd playback ) and although the XBOne does has DLNA you cant use usb memory sticks etc I will want to see reviews of both before any choice is made.
Also after six months any of the hardware issues that tend to surface will have so..I will be waiting

As an owner of both 360 & PS3, I'm leaning toward an Xbox One. The Kinect camera really does a great job of getting gamers involved, plus I prefer Xbox Live's game selection over PSN, especially the indie games. I agree with TexasHacker - I'm not too concerned about the Kinect spying on me. All they would see is a parade of animals in my game room!

And the no DLNA and MP3 playback for PS4 is AT LAUNCH. It will almost certainly be added as a patch in 2014

And the no DLNA and MP3 playback for PS4 is AT LAUNCH. It will almost certainly be added as a patch in 2014

Betting on the come is not always the best scenario. Ask Skycaddie users. Ask Sony about online gaming.
Having a system have all of it in place against one that might have it in the future is not a proposition that many want.

Betting on the come is not always the best scenario. Ask Skycaddie users. Ask Sony about online gaming.
Having a system have all of it in place against one that might have it in the future is not a proposition that many want.

Which is why I said if you want a media center, get an XB1.

I am surprised so many use their systems as media centers. I don't think I've ever uploaded a single song to any of my systems.

Maybe if the new systems incorporate spotify I'll be more inclined to, but with it readily available on my phone/computer/iPod/etc... Just never felt the need.

I understand your general premise and opinion, but it insinuates that one is inferior on the gaming side and I am not sure its fair to say that as of yet. It would be like saying that the 2014 driver lines that maybe a picture is viewed one is better than the other.

I also understand that one could say well one game showed 1080p on one and 720p on the other. However both devices are capable of 1080p from what I have read so that is a developer option and the developer has been open about it from what I read. If both devices have similar graphics capabilities (and hardware says they do), then features are what separates them and online capability for those that want that. It appears as of now, the features are not really all that close (only in a general sense).

I am surprised so many use their systems as media centers. I don't think I've ever uploaded a single song to any of my systems.

Maybe if the new systems incorporate spotify I'll be more inclined to, but with it readily available on my phone/computer/iPod/etc... Just never felt the need.

Once you have a home that is connected, making that even easier is downright impressive. Having media options and the ability to get content the way you want it, when you want it and from more sources is a pretty awesome thing to control.

I am the same way. I look at this as a gaming system. Sony focused on gaming and will patch in media stuff. That is 100% why I made the switch from MS to Sony.

I owned a 360 from June 2006 to July 2013. Switched over ot PS3 in July. Not once did I say - man, I am missing features that were available on the 360!

The only thing I missed was the controller, but now having held the Dualshock4 in hand, I can say that I have no such concerns for the PS4.

Having read thru this thread, I agree with this. If I am buying a gaming console I want it to be about the games. I have plenty of media outlets with my phone/iPod/computer. I guess that's why I stick to PC gaming. I really don't gain much going with a console nowadays.

I am the same way. I look at this as a gaming system. Sony focused on gaming and will patch in media stuff. That is 100% why I made the switch from MS to Sony.

I owned a 360 from June 2006 to July 2013. Switched over ot PS3 in July. Not once did I say - man, I am missing features that were available on the 360!

The only thing I missed was the controller, but now having held the Dualshock4 in hand, I can say that I have no such concerns for the PS4.

You must not play online then... because to say you didnt miss XBL compared to PSN would be crazy IMO. They werent even remotely close.

I really hope PS4 improves the online, but until I read reviews after it is out I will be extremely skeptical.

Have no idea and I won't be getting one.

I used to get video game systems for Christmas. I would play those things all day on Christmas Day, then about an hour or two the next day and then maybe a few times over the week, and then I would get bored and it would just collect dust.

The one exception is when Halo came out when I was in college and we would play each other... OMG, I can't begin to calculate the hours spent playing that thing... shameful really.

You must not play online then... because to say you didnt miss XBL compared to PSN would be crazy IMO. They werent even remotely close.

I really hope PS4 improves the online, but until I read reviews after it is out I will be extremely skeptical.

The XBL interface is much cleaner than the PSN interface, I agree with that. No party chat on PS3 sucked as well. However, the act of playing online has not been any different. No trouble finding games. No connection issues. (knock on wood).

Have no idea and I won't be getting one.

I used to get video game systems for Christmas. I would play those things all day on Christmas Day, then about an hour or two the next day and then maybe a few times over the week, and then I would get bored and it would just collect dust.

The one exception is when Halo came out when I was in college and we would play each other... OMG, I can't begin to calculate the hours spent playing that thing... shameful really.
better get one then. Halo 5 is coming! haha

MAIN reason I didn't pre-order. Proof will have to be in the pudding, but I refuse to use the former gen consoles as a benchmark for expectations. Most unbiased reviews I've read suggest the same thing.

The XBL interface is much cleaner than the PSN interface, I agree with that. No party chat on PS3 sucked as well. However, the act of playing online has not been any different. No trouble finding games. No connection issues. (knock on wood).

The delay in Call of Duty online was immense. Relied heavily on lag compensation and best connection... it was brutal in comparison, and without party chat made it painful to game with friends. These are things I expect to be resolved by the different console build and addition of Party chat to PS4.

Once you have a home that is connected, making that even easier is downright impressive. Having media options and the ability to get content the way you want it, when you want it and from more sources is a pretty awesome thing to control.

With a laptop being right by the gaming console, I don't really see or feel the need to have that much integration. I get the value for some folks, it's just not there for me.

Having read thru this thread, I agree with this. If I am buying a gaming console I want it to be about the games. I have plenty of media outlets with my phone/iPod/computer. I guess that's why I stick to PC gaming. I really don't gain much going with a console nowadays.

Exactly. For some consumers (like me), it's still all about controller based gaming. Whether these systems are implementing improved media XYZ or not has little impact on my purchasing decision.

MAIN reason I didn't pre-order. Proof will have to be in the pudding, but I refuse to use the former gen consoles as a benchmark for expectations. Most unbiased reviews I've read suggest the same thing.

The delay in Call of Duty online was immense. Relied heavily on lag compensation and best connection... it was brutal in comparison, and without party chat made it painful to game with friends. These are things I expect to be resolved by the different console build and addition of Party chat to PS4.

Previous COD games had individual players host the games. For COD Ghosts, there will be dedicated servers. That should pretty much eliminate any lag.

Previous COD games had individual players host the games. For COD Ghosts, there will be dedicated servers. That should pretty much eliminate any lag.

I look forward to reading those comparisons. If they can resolve that, it'd be a huge step forward.

I just hate there is so much "should be, hopefully, they said" with a lot of the key things I care about. I am happy that the controller is better, I am very happy.

Thats good to know

I'll be getting ghosts tonight, dedicated servers and the extinction mode sold me on it. Pretty excited actually

With a laptop being right by the gaming console, I don't really see or feel the need to have that much integration. I get the value for some folks, it's just not there for me.

Every person will have different needs. The future of content is through these devices. You see Smart TVs, media streamers, Chrome Cast and hundreds more and its all because the future is coming quickly. If all things are equal on tech specs, and they appear to be, there is no reason (other than cost of course) to choose the stripped down machine features wise.

I think this goes back to me being new to this thing and had no idea fanboys existed for a console. To hear things like Sony has better graphics, but they swear they are getting this feature soon is no different than saying Xbox has every forward thinking feature now and the graphics card immediately says that they will be the same.

I have no dog in the fight because I am not a gamer, but from the outside looking in, I now see what people said about the fanboy thing and I guess it just does not make sense to me. Its similar to golf equipment I guess. People need validation for what they spend their hard earned money on. I get it.

Back