Xcaliber Rapid Taper 105 Iron Shaft Review

For Belts they sell what's called a Linnen belt. It's perfect for doing hosels.

I can’t remember if I saw this or not in the thread, but how does this 105 shaft compare to the MMT 105?

I can’t remember if I saw this or not in the thread, but how does this 105 shaft compare to the MMT 105?
More launch here, similar spin, MMT plays more stout to flex. Much better feel here, also, more ball speed.

Rapid tapers arrived yesterday. Just wanted to add the new graphics make these shafts look VERY good. I am seriously impressed.

Reactions: J4U
More launch here, similar spin, MMT plays more stout to flex. Much better feel here, also, more ball speed.
Thank you Jman! It was what I was hoping to hear based on things I’ve read. I just wanted to ask someone decent who I know has actually hit them both. I like MMT ok, it just doesn’t have a lot of snap to it. Lacking in the feel department as far as what I was hoping to feel. I could use a little higher decent angle because of the lowish spin. Sounds like these would fit the bill. I’ll have to grab one to try.

Last edited:
Thank you Jman! It was what I was hoping to hear based on things I’ve read. I just wanted to ask someone decent who I know has actually hit them both. I like MMT ok, it just doesn’t have a lot of snap to it. Lacking in the feel department as far as what I was hoping to feel. I could use a little higher decent angle because of the lowish spin. Sounds like these would fit the bill. I’ll have to grab one to try.

I too was interested in these vs MMT 105. I haven’t hit them yet but looking at P790 and those are offered.

I’m a recoil guy. I do like these new graphics on the RT quite a bit. I haven’t had an exact like to like experience yet with RT but so far they seemed similar to feel and launch of my recoils. I couldn’t feel much difference. That said the RT shaft I was using was shorter than my recoils.

I picked up a few of the close outs in 95g regular flex. The chart said stiff flex are for 100 mph+ driver speeds and I am at 93-95. I have a couple of expirements to put them in. I picked up a 8-PW ZX7 and I will put at least one in my T100s probably the 7i to get some numbers compared to my ZX5s with Steelfiber.

Santa left me one of these for my 3 iron build! Can’t wait til it’s complete.

Thank you @Jman!
If it wasn’t for this review, I wouldn’t have even thought of XCaliber. Have this shaft in my 3 iron now and smoking it. Great shaft. Way more forgiving than my steel shaft and faster. Hitting it about 5 yards longer than my old 3 iron.

Last edited:
Thank you @Jman!
If it wasn’t for this review, I wouldn’t have been thought of XCaliber. Have this shaft in my 3 iron now and smoking it. Great shaft. Way more forgiving than my steel shaft and faster. Hitting it about 5 yards longer than my old 3 iron.
That’s fantastic!

I put the RT95 in a ZX7 PW to compare to the ZX5 PW with SF i95. I hit some in the simulator yesterday and I would say that I hit the ZX7 only a yard or two less than the ZX5 and it definitely felt smoother. The loft is 2* weaker on the 7 vs the 5.

I am going to hit my T100s 7i in the simulator on Sunday to get some baseline numbers then reshaft with a RT95. The T100s have Modus 120s flex softstepped in them. I am looking for something a bit lighter and I went with regular based on the website recommendations. I will be able to get some sim time next week for comparison.

I have a couple of sessions in the simulator now with the T100s with the RT95. The early results are promising.

Solid shots with the T100s and Modus 120 were 150 yards carry, 4750 spin and 70 feet of height.
Solid shots with the RT95 were 155 yards of carry, 5200 spin and 85 feet of height.

It was good enough for me to order more of the shafts and finish the set.

I also compared to my ZX5 7i with SFi95 and I carry that around 152 but only with 4250 of spin and 70ish of height. Total distance was probably similar but I like the more carry and less roll.

I also hit some knockdowns and didn’t have any issues controlling the trajectory.

At the suggestion of the folks at XCaliber I did build the 7i a 1/2 longer than the m120 setup. I have bounced back and forth over time between standard length and +1/2 and am comfortable with both.

I have the 5, 7 and 9i shafted with the RT now and the early results are very promising. I just got back from the simulator and I was consistently carrying the 7i in the 155+ range and a few closer to 160 when I tried to jump on them. The 9i was in the 145 range and I was carrying the 5i between 180 and 185 which was much longer than I was hitting it before.

The rest of my shafts are supposed to be here Friday night and I will be putting them in the rest of the heads and taking them to Florida Monday morning.

I didn’t get 9i numbers but here is a representative 7i and 5i number:

92FD46B5-63DA-42E1-A2C6-2729FFA2567F.jpeg6F1CA0E7-411B-4514-B7F1-F934237AE92F.jpeg

I think the numbers are pretty solid and I am hitting the 7i definitely higher and with more spin.

Last edited:
The full set of Titleists have been reshafted (T200 5i, T100s 6-AW). I have hit them all in the simulator now and like the performance so far. I am definitely getting more launch and spin than either the Modus 120s (softstepped) or the SF i95 shafted ZX5s. I head to FL tomorrow morning and have three rounds lined up. I will give a full review toward the end of the week.

I got 2 and a half rounds in with the T100s with RT95 regular in last week in Florida. I think they are going to be quite good. I hit some good and bad shots but the bad ones were more due to my swing that is in transition than the shafts. I am getting a higher flight and about 5 more yards with the new shafts vs the old ones. I am also able to control the flight of the ball hitting knockdowns as easily with the RT95 as I could with steel or the Steelfiber shafts I have. In my final round I shot 76 including stuffing a couple of irons for birdies from 150 and 160 yards.

Below is some data from the Trackman yesterday for the 6 and 7 iron.

6365C994-6A1E-499B-96FF-E2D6B748EF04.png

For my swingspeed which was a bit slow yesterday I am getting good trajectory and spin. In the real world I think the ball rolls out a bit less.

That’s fantastic!
So if the 3 iron shaft works so well, should I have any concerns of sticking these things in all my iron shafts?

So if the 3 iron shaft works so well, should I have any concerns of sticking these things in all my iron shafts?
I played them in multiple utilities as well. No concerns there.

I did my irons and after a recent fitting at Club Champion it looks like they are staying in the bag. The fitter didn’t even feel like there was much reason to look at anything else. I picked up distance and height with the shafts without giving up accuracy. On the course in Florida I had one of my better rounds of the past 12 months and hit a number of very good iron shots including hard swings hit high and some knockdowns that flighted in the window I wanted and were very accurate.

It has me thinking about reshafting my ZX5s even though I am hitting the T100s really well. I kind of want to do a head to head comparison. I may do the 6 or 7i for comparison.

Give them a try I think you will like them.

I played them in multiple utilities as well. No concerns there.
I did my irons and after a recent fitting at Club Champion it looks like they are staying in the bag. The fitter didn’t even feel like there was much reason to look at anything else. I picked up distance and height with the shafts without giving up accuracy. On the course in Florida I had one of my better rounds of the past 12 months and hit a number of very good iron shots including hard swings hit high and some knockdowns that flighted in the window I wanted and were very accurate.

It has me thinking about reshafting my ZX5s even though I am hitting the T100s really well. I kind of want to do a head to head comparison. I may do the 6 or 7i for comparison.

Give them a try I think you will like them.

Ok. It worked so well in my 3 iron so thought I might just give it a go in my 4-PW. Thanks for the feedback.

To anyone I have worked with in the past via the Xcaliber website.. I have left the company.
I will still offer Xcaliber shafts in any builds I do, but.. I'M DONE, working for Robin. Or I should say, working for free. It has been a wildly rewarding task bringing the Rapid Tapers to market. That part I don't regret. And I'll leave it at that.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

To anyone I have worked with in the past via the Xcaliber website.. I have left the company.
I will still offer Xcaliber shafts in any builds I do, but.. I'M DONE, working for Robin. Or I should say, working for free. It has been a wildly rewarding task bringing the Rapid Tapers to market. That part I don't regret. And I'll leave it at that.

Sorry to hear this but no one should work for free!

Good luck with what you choose to do. Everyone should be compensated for what they do. I am very happy with my RTs and can’t wait for spring so I can get them outside.

Ok, dumb question here. But I don’t see RT iron shafts, just wedge shafts. Am I missing something? I would love to try these in my PXG 0311T Gen 4 irons or maybe even a different head. I have several sets to choose from, and this is so interesting to me.

I just don’t see anything for irons. I see the 115 wedge, and I play 125g now. Would love to drop some weight and see what these could do.

Any help that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Ok, dumb question here. But I don’t see RT iron shafts, just wedge shafts. Am I missing something? I would love to try these in my PXG 0311T Gen 4 irons or maybe even a different head. I have several sets to choose from, and this is so interesting to me.

I just don’t see anything for irons. I see the 115 wedge, and I play 125g now. Would love to drop some weight and see what these could do.

Any help that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Reactions: J4U
Back