Yonex EZONE Hybrid - Forum Testing Review

OK THPers.. Here is another mini-review piece for my "specialty shot" section.

This specialty shot is the very wet rough shot.

Mini-Update

This Specialty Shot: A-.

I was curious as to how the YONEX would perform in the circumstances where there was a significant amount of rain on the course, and my ball comes to rest in a significant amount of rough. Although I did not measure precisely the length of rough, my guess would be approximately 3-5 inches of rough. The grass was incredibly wet, and I believe it was a bluegrass. I played the shot under two conditions, (1) the rough growing in the direction of the hole and (2) the grass growing away from the hole.

Admittedly, upon first inspection of the length and wetness of the grass, I had very low expectations. I wanted to try the easier shot first (the grass growing towards the hole) in order to "ease" into the situation.

I was honestly surprised with the results. I took 12 shots from this position: 4 on top of the grass, 4 in the middle, and 4 buried. The shots from the top of the grass went incredibly well. I was expecting the wetness of the ball and grass to significantly reduce the amount of potential shot shape. I saw no such issues. The ball came out quick, and fairly similar to a fairway shot, albeit with a slightly lower trajectory.

The shots from the middle and "buried" lies also were pretty favorable. I was able to easily go "down" and get the ball. The club head slid through the wet grass pretty well, and it didn't turn over nearly as much as I was expecting. I had actually aimed significantly right of the target for a "turned-over" club face. I had to dial that back in based upon the club's better than expected performance. I was pleased with the YONEX's performance in this situation.

Then came the situation where the grass was growing in the opposite direction. I was very timid when it came to this shot, though I was encouraged slightly based upon the previous performance.

I did the same 12 shots: 4 on top, 4 in the middle, and 4 buried. The 4 on top turned out pretty well. Though, as one might expect, I lost the ability to move the ball around as much. This is likely due to a few strands of grass getting between the club face and the ball. But I got great distance and about the same trajectory as the other lie.

The next 8 balls (in the middle and buried, in west grass growing against you) were very difficult shots. Yes, the club face did tend to turn over. And yes, the wetness and length of grass did impact the shot. I must say, however, that it exceeded my expectations. I still was able to easily "go down" and get the ball and the clubhead slid relatively OK through the thick, wet grass. I just adjusted my aiming and was able to get the ball back near the green everytime. Much lower trajectory, but I was fine with that.

All-in-all, I was pleased with the performance.

Till next time...

OK THPers.. Here is another mini-review piece for my "specialty shot" section.

This specialty shot is the very wet rough shot.

Mini-Update

This Specialty Shot: A-.

I was curious as to how the YONEX would perform in the circumstances where there was a significant amount of rain on the course, and my ball comes to rest in a significant amount of rough. Although I did not measure precisely the length of rough, my guess would be approximately 3-5 inches of rough. The grass was incredibly wet, and I believe it was a bluegrass. I played the shot under two conditions, (1) the rough growing in the direction of the hole and (2) the grass growing away from the hole.

Admittedly, upon first inspection of the length and wetness of the grass, I had very low expectations. I wanted to try the easier shot first (the grass growing towards the hole) in order to "ease" into the situation.

I was honestly surprised with the results. I took 12 shots from this position: 4 on top of the grass, 4 in the middle, and 4 buried. The shots from the top of the grass went incredibly well. I was expecting the wetness of the ball and grass to significantly reduce the amount of potential shot shape. I saw no such issues. The ball came out quick, and fairly similar to a fairway shot, albeit with a slightly lower trajectory.

The shots from the middle and "buried" lies also were pretty favorable. I was able to easily go "down" and get the ball. The club head slid through the wet grass pretty well, and it didn't turn over nearly as much as I was expecting. I had actually aimed significantly right of the target for a "turned-over" club face. I had to dial that back in based upon the club's better than expected performance. I was pleased with the YONEX's performance in this situation.

Then came the situation where the grass was growing in the opposite direction. I was very timid when it came to this shot, though I was encouraged slightly based upon the previous performance.

I did the same 12 shots: 4 on top, 4 in the middle, and 4 buried. The 4 on top turned out pretty well. Though, as one might expect, I lost the ability to move the ball around as much. This is likely due to a few strands of grass getting between the club face and the ball. But I got great distance and about the same trajectory as the other lie.

The next 8 balls (in the middle and buried, in west grass growing against you) were very difficult shots. Yes, the club face did tend to turn over. And yes, the wetness and length of grass did impact the shot. I must say, however, that it exceeded my expectations. I still was able to easily "go down" and get the ball and the clubhead slid relatively OK through the thick, wet grass. I just adjusted my aiming and was able to get the ball back near the green everytime. Much lower trajectory, but I was fine with that.

All-in-all, I was pleased with the performance.

Till next time...

Dude you did an amazing job on your reviews!! Keep up the great work, I really look forward to you testing again!!! Rep added.

Dude you did an amazing job on your reviews!! Keep up the great work, I really look forward to you testing again!!! Rep added.

Thanks, Bullfrog. You have been doing incredible work as well. That last review I did (the wet rough test) was in response to Tadashi, who requested that I hit it out of wet bent or bluegrass. It was a pretty fun test, and I was able to take my time with the YONEX on that test because no one else was begging to play in the rain that day!

OK fellow YONEX testers... How do you hit your typical shot with the EZONE? Are you a sweeper with it? A trapper? Do you change based upon the lie?

Would love to know how these flow with their irons. Loving the recent reviews Interlooper.

OK fellow YONEX testers... How do you hit your typical shot with the EZONE? Are you a sweeper with it? A trapper? Do you change based upon the lie?

I switch depending on the lie. If I'm in the fairway I sweep it more like a fairway wood. If in the rough I hit down on it like an iron. With a steeper swing into the grass it cuts thru better. I think that is what you meant by trapping.

Amphibians can Tapatalk.

I make a descending blow on the ball but I don't take divots. I guess I'm a sweeper of the ball. Same swing from the tee, fairway and rough.

What is everyone preferred shot shape? I mean your got to shot.

Kongfrontation

Would love to know how these flow with their irons. Loving the recent reviews Interlooper.

I'm with you griff, this is such a solid club. I have often wondered how their irons play? I would think they are right on par.

Kongfrontation

I have had this special club for a few months now and the wear and tear has been minimal. It looks as good to today as the day it arrived. Just a few scratches in the sole but nothing else I can see or bring up.

I switch depending on the lie. If I'm in the fairway I sweep it more like a fairway wood. If in the rough I hit down on it like an iron. With a steeper swing into the grass it cuts thru better. I think that is what you meant by trapping.

Amphibians can Tapatalk.

I make a descending blow on the ball but I don't take divots. I guess I'm a sweeper of the ball. Same swing from the tee, fairway and rough.

What is everyone preferred shot shape? I mean your got to shot.

Kongfrontation

Thanks for the info, fellas. I try to trap it slightly, taking only a very slight divot. I will, however, come down much harder on it in the rough.

I have had this special club for a few months now and the wear and tear has been minimal. It looks as good to today as the day it arrived. Just a few scratches in the sole but nothing else I can see or bring up.

Fantastic, man! Good video and great testament to the quality of the YONEX EZONE!

Great reviews and video. Haven't any yonex clubs yet. But thinking I should now.

iOS using Tapatalk

Great reviews and video. Haven't any yonex clubs yet. But thinking I should now.

iOS using Tapatalk

Yeah, man. If you get the chance, I definitely recommend hitting the club. I have been fairly impressed with it's performance.

Yeah, man. If you get the chance, I definitely recommend hitting the club. I have been fairly impressed with it's performance.

I agree with you. I have let others playing with me & majority Like. I few couldnt hit it to save their lives but the ones that did crushed the shot. I just wish I could use it more during my round. Ive been working on hitting off Tee, Its getting better! :alien2:

Nice video Tadashi. I like that YES bag of yours too!

September 23, 2011
1030am
Shinglecreek driving range
Hot and humid slight breeze

I was at the range to do a little testing and needed to put some more mileage on the EZONE aka The dragon.
The minute I take the club out of the bag I feel the same thing coursing through my golf persona, CONFIDENCE!! I setup and start swinging and the ball does what it's designed to do off of a square club face.
I wanted to continue you my work on hitting low shots with the club without too much variation in my swing. I hit 20 balls in attempt to achieve some low bullets. The only thing I changed in my swing was the impact zone. Instead of staying down and through on all my shots I stood a little taller at impact. If my timing is off it actually become a thin shot and a few of those were hit. For the most part I hit 75% of my shots on the screws and got this low penetrating ball flight. You often hear guys say, it was like a bullet or it was in a frozen rope. Well these were no different. These are great wind balls I was hitting.
For good measure I hit a couple high fades and draws. Mission accomplished, the versatility of the Yonex is second to none. That also holds true for the consistency! It like have a couple extra clubs in the bag which should give you a legal leg up on the competition.

Kongfrontation

September 23, 2011
1030am
Shinglecreek driving range
Hot and humid slight breeze

I was at the range to do a little testing and needed to put some more mileage on the EZONE aka The dragon.
The minute I take the club out of the bag I feel the same thing coursing through my golf persona, CONFIDENCE!! I setup and start swinging and the ball does what it's designed to do off of a square club face.
I wanted to continue you my work on hitting low shots with the club without too much variation in my swing. I hit 20 balls in attempt to achieve some low bullets. The only thing I changed in my swing was the impact zone. Instead of staying down and through on all my shots I stood a little taller at impact. If my timing is off it actually become a thin shot and a few of those were hit. For the most part I hit 75% of my shots on the screws and got this low penetrating ball flight. You often hear guys say, it was like a bullet or it was in a frozen rope. Well these were no different. These are great wind balls I was hitting.
For good measure I hit a couple high fades and draws. Mission accomplished, the versatility of the Yonex is second to none. That also holds true for the consistency! It like have a couple extra clubs in the bag which should give you a legal leg up on the competition.

Kongfrontation

I am like you, Tadashi. I want clubs that give me confidence, and confidence only comes when the club performs. The YONEX EZONE certainly gives me good confidence on the tee and fairway.

Today, I hit about 35 balls with it at the range. I had a severe wind from behind. I focused solely on hitting really high fades that can ride the wind. After about 5 or so balls, I started getting really comfortable with the shot. It starts off a bit low and keeps climbing and climbing to it's apex. Once it hits the apex, the cut spin on the ball eases up a bit and falls quite nicely. I was really enjoying this shot,

I call that a falling off the table fade...Not a ton of movement and then just falls to the right of your target...I know the feeling! I'm glad we are having some good feedback from this club.

I am like you, Tadashi. I want clubs that give me confidence, and confidence only comes when the club performs. The YONEX EZONE certainly gives me good confidence on the tee and fairway.

Today, I hit about 35 balls with it at the range. I had a severe wind from behind. I focused solely on hitting really high fades that can ride the wind. After about 5 or so balls, I started getting really comfortable with the shot. It starts off a bit low and keeps climbing and climbing to it's apex. Once it hits the apex, the cut spin on the ball eases up a bit and falls quite nicely. I was really enjoying this shot,

Nice write up interlooper and tad! Once the rain quits I want to get back on the range and get this baby going again. I need to get better at some punch shots with it. When I punch it I stand up straight straight like you guys were talking about.

As far as keeping it low, I have a hard time hitting any club low. So I like that you guys gave some tips on how you swing it. And achieve it. I will give it a shot and let you know as soon as I can exit the ark!

Amphibians can Tapatalk.

Sorry I'm late to the party, been crazy busy. Anyway, I hit most, if not all, shots off the turf with a trap swing. I tried to sweep it for a while and it just didn't work for me. By trapping the ball, I feel I get the ball to land softer which is what I want out of this club. From the tee I will sweep the ball. I tried trapping, but it didn't work off of a tee for me.

This testing has been completed. Thank you all for your hard work and reviews. We appreciate the feedback.

Thank you THP and Yonex for the oppurtunity to test, play and record our thoughts on the EZONE hybrid. I hope the information given was helpful to those that read through the thread. Thanks again!!!

Kongfrontation

Great job guys! I just happened to catch up on the thread last night. This was by far my favorite hybrid at last years Outing.

Great job on reviewing this club. I am in the market for a new hybrid and the reviews and feedback have made me consider this one. Before the testing I doubt I would have even considered picking up this hybrid.

Thanks Yonex and THP for letting me be apart of testing. It was a great experience. Yonex you have a great product! I'm sure a lot of golfers would benefit from having your equipment in their golf bag. I know I have!! And guys just cuz JB says this is over, doesn't mean to stop asking questions if you have them. I will be happy to answer any of them the best that I can. Thanks again THP and Yonex. It was a blast!

Amphibians can Tapatalk.

Nice job all the way through guys, made believers of a lot of folks here. Can't wait to hit these myself.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Back