You vs TPC Sawgrass Island Hole

Probably 8 iron, go for the middle of the green, just like the island hole at CDA I hit it somewhere around pin high, and it rolls out, with no back bunker to stop it like at CDA, this one goes SPLASH!

8i and I would fully expect for it to softly land in the water to the right

Smooth 8 and say a preyer. Probably fan it into the water though.

Assuming no wind, I'd be hitting a choked down 7 iron and aiming for the middle of the green regardless of pin position. My ballstriking being what it is, I give myself about a 50/50 chance of a GIR.

I played a (not very accurate) replica from further back. I got a bad kick left into the water with a 7i. With a 9i or 8i in my hands I like my chances. Probably near 70%. With the live stream it’s anyone’s guess. I’d give myself a less than 25% chance to hit the green on a stream. Nerves would be a thing especially after giving myself a 70% GIR rate for the hole.

8 iron aiming at the middle of the green. Maybe a 7 or even a 6 depending on the wind. More than likely I am chunking into the water or shanking it onto the island to the right of the tee box though.

Pitching wedge or 9i. From the back tee, it's a much easier shot than from the side. I say that, because from the back tee, you're hitting straight at it. The blue and white, you're coming in from the side and now your alignment has to be really good or you're going to aim yourself at the right edge of the green by mistake.

I've been 6ft for birdie, and I've had a birdie chip from the front left side, where the ball caught the slope and hung out there on the right collar of the front left quadrant.

Go to your happy place, block out the water, pick your target, and just swing before your own mind gets in your way.

I can’t hit driver so that’s a problem :D
Nice easy 7 iron. Will take anywhere on the green. If I were to miss, it would most likely be left. A pull is my typical miss.

I mean, yeah... From my armchair golfing location presently, I am knocking a wedge stiff and kicking in my birdie, while the crowd cheers me from the interwebs.

Real life: I imagine I'd blast one over the green to the delight of the crowd, and then go all Fred Couples for a crowd pleasing three.

Taking 8 iron and shooting for the middle of the green and trying to 2 putt for par. I believe I could pull it off under normal circumstances. With the THP Live cameras rolling and the nerves that go along with that, I am taking the same club and aiming at the extreme right edge of the green and hoping I don't pull hook it too badly and end up somewhere on dry land.

Stock 8 iron.

9 iron and I am flag hunting which means I pull it hard left into the drink.

I'm grabbing my current 7i. Based on my last experience with the Mizuno JPX line I would grab my 6 iron. Both are my 155 club. Looks like the back is the widest part of the green. That **** would give me the highest probability to stay dry.

That doesn't give you a whole lot of room for bounce. The hole overview has it at 137 center, 158 at the absolute back center. Even that number I'm kinda shocked it's that much yardage. I would have thought that it was no more than 150 to the back edge. Your number is anywhere between 135-145 before you factor in wind etc.

Full PW at the middle of the green or a flighted 9i. I have no cares at where the pin is.

This is the way.

i think i'd go for the pin because why not. thinking 9i or 8i.

I have 2 island greens that are par 4s at my regular course so they don’t freak me out like they once did. If I’m 150 and in and on the fairway I’m pretty comfortable taking that shot. I’d use a 9 and I would make it more than miss. Maybe

I am hitting 9 iron and hitting it directly at the hole. I don’t think I will have more than 2-3 attempts to do it in my life so you have to try to make it.

If it was happening with how I’m striking the ball now? A good PW or a basic 9. It’ll be on the green for sure. 😊

Depends on wind, firmness of green, etc but probably 8-iron. I’d expect to hit the green but reality says I would have about a 50-60% chance.

I hit long and left at the island green at the conservatory course. I usually am about 60/40 on hitting island greens. The last true island green I played I stuck it to about 10 feet. 17 at sawgrass is a good distance for me, but if I was a betting man I’d have to bet I miss or go long.

Completely wind dependent. But, the expectation would be to hit the green and be inside of 35' with a pw-9i.

I am actually stockpiling balls to go for the record set by the amateur many moons ago.

Knockdown PW or 9i and feel pretty good about hitting and holding the green. I don't think I'd be crazy aggressive if the pin is heart an edge though.

Watching it last night it was just blowing my mind that some of us will get to play it later this year. Just unreal.

7-iron into the water, a loud "**** this ****!", then a drop on the green, with a 3-putt for my double.

All depends on the wind. But I think I’m grabbing a pitching wedge soft 145 to the middle.

Back