Your Current Club Battle

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I know we as THPers endlessly ponder equipment, and many don't sit around with only 14 clubs available. So, let's hear what your current bag battle is!

Mine right now is the Cobra King LTD vs the Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 DBD. Ball speed is better with the DBD with a more lively sound, while the LTD takes the forgiveness battle with a really solid and slightly dialed back sound. I'll be back and forth between these two clubs all year, I bet.

Not much going on for me as the stash is low.
Putter battle between the M7 PR and the new scotty notchback.

And in the near future the F6 irons vs the c200s

Driver battle for me also. I've still got the debate between the Cobra LTD and Bridgestone JGR. At this point the Bridgestone is leading but I'll be comparing for awhile I think.

3 wood off the fairway is a no go (worm burner, topping) past 3-4 rounds, off a tee no problem.

Mine will be between my Odyssey White Hot XG #9. Vs. the Cure RX1 I recently picked used. I have been pretty good with the Odyssey, but the Cure putter has intrigued me and if I can be even more consistent on the greens it should really show on the scorecard.

That's pretty funny!

I am trying to figure out my driver situation. Everything else is set for now.
Hitting Callaway BB Mini 1.5, FlyZ, WS D200 and Bridgestone J815. They all have different strengths and weaknesses, I will keep trying to find the holy grail of drivers!

GBB vs Legacy Black drivers. Also having a shaft battle with a couple options for those heads.

The big question I have is, how many clubs out of the 5deep, Heavenwood, and 4 Hybrid I need in my bag. Right now, thinking just the Heavenwood.

Not that I need to eliminate clubs, having the Heavenwood in, and removing the other two leaves me at 12 clubs....... and its more of a simplicity thing right now I want to try for the early season.

Current battle is my Lajosi DD201 putter vs my Odyssey V-Line.
The writing is on the wall that the Lajosi will win due to distance control but the alignment ease of the V-Line on short putts is unmatched.

I'm not totally happy with my irons at the moment. Consistency is the problem. I know it's primarily due to not enough range time, but, I'm never-the-less experimenting with irons sets. Tomorrow I'm gaming a set that's five or six years old, just for kicks. But, really, I need to get back to working on the game more regularly. That's the key to consistency at any level.

Driver for me as well. I'm hitting the Knuth decently when I don't get a case of the rights, but the feel and sound just don't sit well with me. I kind of feel like a bum saying that, but it's true. Contemplating either picking up an X2Hot/XR in 13.5 or seeing if I can coax my brother into giving me back the X2Hot I let him have for his bag.

ETA - my 4i slot as well. Have an X2Hot hybo in there but not hitting it as well as I should be. Thinking about slotting in the Speedblade 4i and see how it goes.

Last edited:
For me it is the spot right behind the driver. Sometimes I have a 3w, sometimes a 2 iron, and sometimes a 19° hybrid.

I'm looking for a new fairway wood but haven't found one I want.

I have 2 right now. My driver battle is between my fly z and my m1. Feel better about the fly z but had a bad day with it Friday. Launch monitor battle with these 2 last week shows the fly z to be more consistent and better average distance but the m1 had some really long bombs for me.
Also really want to try the new Bridgestone driver in the worst way.

For my irons it is between my 545s and the cobra f6. I had an awesome day with the 545s on Friday and part of me wants to get a different shaft and play those all year. However every time I have the f6 irons it has completely blown me away distance wise. Need to get this one figured out soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it's currently the Bertha 1.5 Mini and my Snake Eyes Viper 3W (Cobra Baffler shaft). The Bertha is currently winning the battle and I've yet to make the adjustments up from 14° to 15° or 16° to see if it will clearly knock the 3W out of the bag.

Right now I have no club battles...sold off all my excess so that now I'm just going to try and get better with my swing and stop switching equipment!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Err I wish I could say that. Those are the two sets of irons I wish I had to put up against each other.

As for me it's more of a putter clash. CX1 vs RX2

No bag battles at the moment, but there is my current irons vs. everything else out there now. My current altitudes are losing due to the durability issues I have had with, and not really performance. However, the f6's may be a bit better in both performance and dispersion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

3/4 wood. Ltd vs f6. Love the feel and sound of the ltd and it worked great off the tee yesterday. F6 seems to have more forgiveness and the seems to jump off the face a little more but the feel and sound of the ltd was pretty addicting yesterday

Shafts in the irons are my only coming ponder. I love the Recoil 110s in my Apex Pro's, but I know Project LZ irons shafts are going to need to be hit.

After today, I have no ponders, no battles, I am content, unless there is magic club that can fix horrendous lies in a bunker

Unlike most on here, I'm not a big changer, been playing i20 irons since they came out. But after picking up a g25 4 wood a little over a year ago, I've been thinking (procrastinating) about picking up the irons as well. My thinking has been that if they were as easy to hit and forgiving as the 4 wood I would love them too.
Well, I wanted so long they are no longer in production, since 2 other g lines have come out, so when I cam across a set in a box store I figured if I was going to do it, it was now or never.
Only 2 range sessions so far, but I think they are here to stay. Wasn't sure I would pick up much forgiveness wise over the i20s, hence the procrastination, but so far they definitely feel more forgiving, across the face and with the ground. Distances seem to be right on track with i20's. The lofts are pretty much the same, which is why I wanted the g25s rather than the 30s on new Gs. Didn't want to mess up the top of my bag. They do look to fly a little higher, but think that should be a good thing. 7 iron is consistently in the 30 yard max height rang when I hit them at the store. Never had the i20s on the simulator, but for comparison, with the ie1s, I was at 25 yards max height with the same shaft. Lastly, I like the look of the larger offset. For some reason, I am much better at squaring up the club face at address with the bigger offset. Maybe it's because before the 20s, my previous set was isi's, which also have more offset. But you think I would have figured it out in 4 years and around 200 rounds.
Might just be in the honeymoon period, heck, I haven't even been on the course yet, but so far I'm liking them. So to answer the original question, I currently have a iron battle going on, but it may be a short one.

I hope the Hogans are so good they just knock my i25s out of my bag, otherwise there could be an iron battle in my future. That aside, the only thing that resembles a battle would be my 2135 vs Scotty Squareback...but even that is more like being married to a great wife (2135) while living in the same neighborhood as a super hot ex (Scotty).

I always seem to have a club battle going on. You know about my driver battle: LTD versus G30 LS Tec versus D200 versus other (I have something else on my mind - not sure if I'll bite on it or not). Also rotating putters a good bit, right now, though I'm confident it'll be either an Odyssey or a Bettinardi (with a Yes! as the dark horse). I had a fairway wood battle going on, but that's done for now.

I've got iron set battles. Srixon 945 (last year's gamers) vs yonex n1 mb vs honma tw727 vs pxg 0311t. No idea which will win out, current iron play is equally bad with all

Putters. I suck but blame my putters. Some day I will make amends, but for now it's a battle to see which one is unlucky enough to go in the bag.

Beyond putters, I have exactly 13 clubs, no more, no less. No other options.

Back