Nike Vapor Fly Driver & Vapor Fly Pro Preview

I love the Volt in the Nike drivers, but I've never really enjoyed the sound and performance over my other options. Love new equipment though! Can't wait to see the final product.

Interested to see the full tech story on this one. The pro version was a solid club in last years lineup. I'm suprised they added "fly" to the name considering Cobra used that last year. I hope they change the grip choice for this years clubs because the past few years has been awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing about adding "Fly" to the name. When I read it I automatically think about Cobra.

I'd give this a shot if it looked like the black and white pics... The volt is too distracting, even on the bottom.

Will be interesting to see what improvements they've made over this years Vapor. I like the Fly name, falls in line with a few other nike products (FlyKnit shoes, Vapor Fly gloves, ect). From what I hear, they're moving away from volt and into "photo blue" color schemes.

Tiger plays it. Rory plays it. #BuyNike

At least their strategy isn't "Suzann Pettersen plays it". That wouldn't work well right now. It is too bad that more people didn't give them a look this year, as I really liked the whole line.

As a current Vapor Pro player, this definitely intrigues me. Don't like the look at first blush as much as this year's line...but, who knows, that could change. Initially I didn't like the Vapor looks and now I love them.

Whether they can improve on the Vapor line is the real question, cause it was solid throughout.

Will be interesting to see what improvements they've made over this years Vapor. I like the Fly name, falls in line with a few other nike products (FlyKnit shoes, Vapor Fly gloves, ect). From what I hear, they're moving away from volt and into "photo blue" color schemes.

We were told at the Oven last year there was a chance Volt was a one year color scheme, I'm curious to see if that holds true.

fill out that hole, get rid of the volt, and I might try it

I'm no engineer or mathematician or even a college grad, but the cavity, where it is located, seems to be where some companies (Ping, Cobra, etc) are putting weights to make the club longer and/or more forgiving. Wonder if this is hampering the ability to pull that CG down/back at all with nothing there. I'd like to be enlightened on that by anyone that cares to do so.

I sure hope Volt color sticks around!

I was just thinking of the Vapor line this morning. Didn't think we would see a new release though.

I'm no engineer or mathematician or even a college grad, but the cavity, where it is located, seems to be where some companies (Ping, Cobra, etc) are putting weights to make the club longer and/or more forgiving. Wonder if this is hampering the ability to pull that CG down/back at all with nothing there. I'd like to be enlightened on that by anyone that cares to do so.

Happy to help. Marketing efforts show CG moving back and front by several inches. The truth is its just not the case. Just about every driver is pretty hollow in spots and this is no different. They have taken the grams away by removing part of the sole. Some have questioned on whether doing that will not help in keeping CG as low as it can be (not forward or back, low vs high), others say it doesnt matter and its simply aesthetics.

Back to your question, moving CG forward and back is a matter of milimeters, rather than centimeters and in just about every case I have seen, nothing would be that far back that creating this "cavity" would harm that aspect. Hope this helps.

Happy to help. Marketing efforts show CG moving back and front by several inches. The truth is its just not the case. Just about every driver is pretty hollow in spots and this is no different. They have taken the grams away by removing part of the sole. Some have questioned on whether doing that will not help in keeping CG as low as it can be (not forward or back, low vs high), others say it doesnt matter and its simply aesthetics.

Back to your question, moving CG forward and back is a matter of milimeters, rather than centimeters and in just about every case I have seen, nothing would be that far back that creating this "cavity" would harm that aspect. Hope this helps.

Thanks JB, I appreciate the insight. It definitely helps with my understanding of it and always want accurate information out there.

Last edited:

Great info, I didn't realize that either.

I find the current line really ugly. I won't even pick one up due to the colors. Nike must have Michelle Wie's hair dresser designing these things.

I find the current line really ugly. I won't even pick one up due to the colors. Nike must have Michelle Wie's hair dresser designing these things.

I didn't like it initially, but it grew on me rapidly. The Volt and black pops really nicely. And you don't see it at address, it's actually quite a clean look in that regard.

I dont think it's too bad

IMO it's weird to see bright blue and not think of Cobra but that's just me. I realize that just a year or so ago their drivers were red. I'd have preferred more of a white or silver with the volt.

IMO it's weird to see bright blue and not think of Cobra but that's just me. I realize that just a year or so ago their drivers were red.

Yeah I mean it's obviously a different direction but overall I dont think it looks bad.

Back