Ask THP: Personal Best Connundrum

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I thought this would be a fun one to bring to the forum. I'll pose two questions and I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. This popped into my head as scenario one occurred for me tonight. A 33 to match my 32 from last week for a combined 65.

Scenario one: You shoot a great score on the front 9 of a golf course on a random Wednesday. Returning the following week and playing the opposite 9, you shoot another great score. Combined, they amount to your personal best. Keeping in mind you've golfed in between, just not on this course, do you perceive this as a personal best for 18 holes and celebrate?

Scenario two: You shoot a great score on one 9 of a golf course only to be limited by sun (evening 9). Returning the following day, you shoot another great score on the other 9. Combined, they amount to your personal best. Do you consider this a personal best for 18?

Errrr no, I would not consider either scenario as a PB. Now if there was rain and you had to complete the round in the second scenario because of that I would say yes.

No they do not equate to a PB. Holding it together for 9 is much different than 18. Although I do find it very appropriate to celebrate some seriously good golf!

Nope a personal best needs to be played at one outing.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Nope. Congrats on two good 9's.

haha, tough crowd tonight!

Errrr no, I would not consider either scenario as a PB. Now if there was rain and you had to complete the round in the second scenario because of that I would say yes.

Interesting that you'd say an element like rain could accommodate but not the sun setting. Both unavailable -- Yet only one you could technically play through with.

No and No.

Nope...

Nope. Because many a time it's hard to hold out and continue a great score after a great opening 9. Nerves creeping in knowing you could set a PB, fatigue...lots of factors come into play. So no, your PB needs to be set in one round IMO.

This is something that frustrated me in my quest to break 80 haha.

No to both for me, to me it has to be the same day and the same complete round. But, it's just how I look at it.

I hate to be a buzzkill, but I wouldn't count either of them. I will buy you a drink to celebrate though!

Just a bunch of good nine's, and a massive drop to the handicap.

I say no. Not a personal best...for 9 holes maybe, but not combined. Playing the next day, you're rested and ready to go.

haha, tough crowd tonight!

Interesting that you'd say an element like rain could accommodate but not the sun setting. Both unavailable -- Yet only one you could technically play through with.

I think if someone goes out late in the afternoon with the intent of playing 9 when they know the sun will get them it should only be a 9 hole round. If someone gets caught after 9 holes by rain and then because of the delay the round is not completed until the next day that would be a complete round had they intended to play 18 that day. That is what I am thinking.

Nope. Because many a time it's hard to hold out and continue a great score after a great opening 9. Nerves creeping in knowing you could set a PB, fatigue...lots of factors come into play. So no, your PB needs to be set in one round IMO.

This is something that frustrated me in my quest to break 80 haha.

Fatigue is a great reasoning.

I hate to be a buzzkill, but I wouldn't count either of them. I will buy you a drink to celebrate though!

For what it's worth, the question was posed out of sheer curiosity. I'm not in any hurry to place a "65" ball on my mantle or frame a scorecard. No buzzkill for having an opinion (although "Ill buy you a drink is a hell of a lot better answer than "no" hahahaha!).

Agree with many here, would not consider either scenario a PB. I've had some great 9's that have met their death on the either side of the turn more often then I care to remember. My worst this year was a 33 (-3) followed by a 44 (+8), yay me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senario A. No I wouldn't.

Senario B. Yes. Simply because if a game gets called for light the players pick up where they were from the day before.

Scenario 1 I'd say definitely not. But now scenario 2 I'd be inclined to say yes. The PGA tour (or any other tournament or outing) wouldn't take a course record or PB 58/59/60/etc... away from a player that teed off late (for whatever reason), only completed 9 holes and then finished his round the next day, right? I don't see any real difference (well minus the millions of dollars at stake), but you still had to sleep on what you'd done and then go back out and play after taking a long break and try to keep those good vibes going.

Not if both nines are not completed consecutively on the same day. If say there was rain that broke up the continuous 18 and you had to sit for say 2 hours after 10 before resuming, I would say that is a PB if you went back out after the thunderstorms and finished off the 18 in the same day.

No to both. I also think this is somewhat of a flaw in the handicap system, but it's a debatable point.

JM

I don't think either is a personal best. agree with others that to many factors can play a role in the last few holes that could make or break the round.

Celebrate a couple of best nines, but nope on the 18 personal best on either front. Great golf to be proud of regardless.

No on scenario A for sure.

Scrap brought up a great point about B though. The pros can have play suspended for a myriad of reasons and not finish the current 18 hole round. They come out the following morning and finish the remaining holes. That's all considered one round.

So I'll say maybe on scenario B. However, if I had a 67 or 68 as my current PB and that was done all in one go, I'd count the 67/68 before the 65...make sense?

I wouldn't consider either a personal best combined. But PB separate 9's yes.

Back