Ask THP: Personal Best Connundrum

You had two good nines, congrats. So many factors could have derailed the other half had you been able to play it out.

For what it's worth, the question was posed out of sheer curiosity. I'm not in any hurry to place a "65" ball on my mantle or frame a scorecard. No buzzkill for having an opinion (although "Ill buy you a drink is a hell of a lot better answer than "no" hahahaha!).

Ah, definitely didn't mean anything by that. I know you'll have another 65 soon enough!

Ummm no, that would not be accurate. A PB would be 18 holes in a row with only a stop at the turn at most.

unless there was weather that kept me from completing my round, I would view these as separate 9 hole rounds and not two full 18.

great scoring thought Dan!!

Ask THP: Personal Best Connundrum

I say no. It'd have to be in one complete round. Otherwise just two good 9s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on two great 9 hole scores!!
PB - Nope.

no way jose.....but i am looking forward to my next 18!

no and no. only way it's ok is if you have a delay of some kind. interestingly, tournaments can overlap days for weather or daylight, and I'm fine with that.

No to both scenarios. They would have to be 18 holes played same day.

I think they could be PB's for 9 holes but not 18. I think the whole round has to played at the time.

No and no.

Nope.... No personal best for 18 there.

The second one maybe. It's the same thing as when a tourney gets called for weather or darkness for the day.

I like the tournament concept.

For those who aren't bothering to post what or why in regards to their 'no' response, would you feel differently if it was a tournament and you were forced to separate 9s with days due to weather or darkness etc?

The answer for both questions is NO. Neither count because it was not a continuous 18. I have had scenario 2 happen and it was just 2 good 9 hole scores. I shot even on the front and did not have enough daylight to get a full 9 in. Went back the next day and played the back and shot 2 over. Would have been my best score ever but it was not a full 18 so it goes does down as just a good 9.

For those who aren't bothering to post what or why in regards to their 'no' response, would you feel differently if it was a tournament and you were forced to separate 9s with days due to weather or darkness etc?

Regarding why on my answer, I just think that there are too many variables from day to day for it to make a PB. It is also why I view it as a limiting factor in separate nines being used to calculate handicap.

Hope that helps.

JM

So for all no answers on scenario B, let me ask you this...

Johnny PGA Pro goes out and starts his tournament round on Thursday. Weather/Darkness suspends play and they resume Friday morning. Johnny ends up shooting a 59 for the round but because they're on different days he shouldn't be considered part of the 59 club? Or consider that his PB on tour?

Hmmm...

So for all no answers on scenario B, let me ask you this...

Johnny PGA Pro goes out and starts his tournament round on Thursday. Weather/Darkness suspends play and they resume Friday morning. Johnny ends up shooting a 59 for the round but because they're on different days he shouldn't be considered part of the 59 club? Or consider that his PB on tour?

Hmmm...
I'd say this is different since the stipulated round he was to play was 18 holes. In Dan's first scenario, they were two 9 hole rounds. Totally different.

You may have a point on the second scenario, but I would still believe that the first round was meant to be played as nine holes, not 18 suspended by darkness.

I'd say this is different since the stipulated round he was to play was 18 holes. In Dan's first scenario, they were two 9 hole rounds. Totally different.

You may have a point on the second scenario, but I would still believe that the first round was meant to be played as nine holes, not 18 suspended by darkness.

That's why I said for scenario B specifically.

A is a definite no for sure

That's why I said for scenario B specifically.

A is a definite no for sure
Gotcha, my bad.

I think i would still say no for us amateurs.

I couldn't do it because I know how easily a round gets away from you and how hard it is to get it back, if you are playing mediocre golf and only play a third of your round and come back the next day refreshed and back in sync and shoot lights out, that wouldn't count for me, I know myself better than that.

Yes because the tournament was called by officials.

Yes it might be splitting hairs but in my eyes it's completely different. You play through the round unless rules of the competition deem otherwise.

Semantics I suppose .

Nope. I would be thrilled to have a hot streak last longer than a couple of rounds though. I would celebrate that !!!

Yes because the tournament was called by officials.

Yes it might be splitting hairs but in my eyes it's completely different. You play through the round unless rules of the competition deem otherwise.

Semantics I suppose .

Agree with this

Back