TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

Ditto.

I don't mind the price of clubs being higher if the stock shaft is a name brand $250 shaft. What bugs me is if what fits me right is the $100 shaft, I don't get the club for $150 off. If making fancy shafts stock helps sell clubs, then great. But some variable pricing would be nice. Like if you buy a computer from Dell--you tell them you don't need all that hard drive space from the stock configuration, you get a discount. You need a faster processor, you pay more. Let's do the same thing for clubs.

They do that.. They offer tons of upcharge shaft options. Every OEM does it.

Not arguing with you but how hard is it to throw in a quick one liner about how shifting the rear sliding weight gave them optimal launch for more carry?

I don't need the white paper or whatever in a commercial but at least throw people a freaking bone.

Why would a video based on reactions of their tour players getting the new product in hand discuss technology. Its just a marketing commercial.

have I missed the price? Assuming $449+?

They do that.. They offer tons of upcharge shaft options. Every OEM does it.

Bingo.
20 years ago the top line driver cost $449 (see Bubble Burner price launch) and now its $499.

So most may not care about this but I'm going to throw it out there anyway.

How far can TM go with the M series? I mean when you say M series to me, I immediately think BMW. If they named the next driver the M2, does BMW have a case against them in some way? Or do the M BMW drivers buy the new club just to match their car?

I know that sounds silly to most but I honestly think like that. An M3 driver better be BMW blue and refined as hell...

Bingo.
20 years ago the top line driver cost $449 (see Bubble Burner price launch) and now its $499.

Maybe this is a topic for another thread but what caused prices to drop off a few years ago. I remember buying the Ping G20 brand new for $299 and wanting to cry that I spent that much.

So most may not care about this but I'm going to throw it out there anyway.

How far can TM go with the M series? I mean when you say M series to me, I immediately think BMW. If they named the next driver the M2, does BMW have a case against them in some way? Or do the M BMW drivers buy the new club just to match their car?

I know that sounds silly to most but I honestly think like that. An M3 driver better be BMW blue and refined as hell...

TaylorMade created the M1 years and years ago. Going back to their roots with the naming process. The M Series of the BMW line started with the M1 back in the late 70s.

Maybe this is a topic for another thread but what caused prices to drop off a few years ago. I remember buying the Ping G20 brand new for $299 and wanting to cry that I spent that much.

It is for another thread, but a lot of reasons. Cheaper components were a part of it, less moveable parts, etc. Like anything, costs have gone up, but the funny thing is the costs have gone up to where they were 20+ years ago. The margins on hard goods are not exactly very large (as you can get from asking just about any store).

TaylorMade created the M1 years and years ago. Going back to their roots with the naming process. The M Series of the BMW line started with the M1 back in the late 70s.

I know my point will be missed as text has no tone and my writing skills aren't as great as some but it just makes me wonder is all.

Bingo.

Crazy to think about - that's something like $750 in today's dollars.

It is for another thread, but a lot of reasons. Cheaper components were a part of it, less moveable parts, etc. Like anything, costs have gone up, but the funny thing is the costs have gone up to where they were 20+ years ago.

Yeah thats the part that I cant wrap my mind around. I remember the Bubble was in the $400+ range.

have I missed the price? Assuming $449+?

I just did a live text chat via the TM website and asked about pricing and pre-order and was told they dont know yet.

I just did a live text chat via the TM website and asked about pricing and pre-order and was told they dont know yet.

Here is the chat. Not sure how you dont know these things when launching a product.

TM_zpsqc2lxop7.png

Frankly the entire "no charge shaft options" bothers me anyway. They raise the price to cover the most expensive option, and then offer you all the other options at "no charge". Ping most recently with their ie irons... Change the MAP to $999 from $799, but wait, no charge shaft upgrades! Charge $499 for a driver you charged $399 or $449 a year ago, but look, choose your shaft! Clearly it's working based on some of the excitement on the forums. But I for one, will not subsidize the price with a shaft that works for me but is stock, for everyone else that needs a more exotic offering.

If they don't offer a base model at that 399 or 429 pricepoint like R15, I couldn't agree more with you. Also, as a consumer who has numerous shafts I'd prefer to play over the stock shafts provided, I would LOVE to see these companies introduce a pricepoint for head and adapter only. I recognize I fall under a relatively small percentage of golfers who would pursue something like that, but I would absolutely love it.

If they don't offer a base model at that 399 or 429 pricepoint like R15, I couldn't agree more with you. Also, as a consumer who has numerous shafts I'd prefer to play over the stock shafts provided, I would LOVE to see these companies introduce a pricepoint for head and adapter only. I recognize I fall under a relatively small percentage of golfers who would pursue something like that, but I would absolutely love it.

I think you will see that in the future. I remember Callaway tried that in the past. I think it comes back as people get more and more loyal to aftermarket shafts.

I think you will see that in the future. I remember Callaway tried that in the past. I think it comes back as people get more and more loyal to aftermarket shafts.

That would be great to see.

Yes sir they did. Nickent's next release was to be that way too. It has failed every time it was done that way, but the future will offer that. I dont understand some of the other sides though. To give you an example, TaylorMade used to do this exact thing. TP line had the shafts and regular line had one option. People complained that the regular option was a joke. So they change that and offer all the shafts to everybody and that is wrong too.

I agree 100% Dan. Luckily I keep seemingly buying Callaway drivers so the shafts plug right in, but I would prefer a head only option myself.

Yes sir they did. Nickent's next release was to be that way too. It has failed every time it was done that way, but the future will offer that. I dont understand some of the other sides though. To give you an example, TaylorMade used to do this exact thing. TP line had the shafts and regular line had one option. People complained that the regular option was a joke. So they change that and offer all the shafts to everybody and that is wrong too.

People will always find something to complain about.

I suppose that's what you get when you market a tour'ish head to more than 3% of the golf consumer.... And I am looking all the way back to R9 TP on that one.

I prefer this approach - take the Aeroburner. I would LOVE to play that with the White Tie that comes stock with the TP, but the only way to do that is to move to a fade-biased head, which is a no-go for me. Though I actually liked the stock shaft in the standard setup as well. Granted, they did only use shafts to differentiate the TP line previously, and people clamored about that. Understand you can't please everyone, but it seems TM gets the worst of it.

Looks quite promising!
Can't wait for the THP reviews where we'll get some real feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back