Does putting have to much of a influence on your score?

jiiim

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
NONE
I've often thought that putting has had to much to do with the final score...For most putting represents more than 35/40% of their score.....Now I know it's importance is a great equalizer...But I've seen so many that have great games and just can't putt to save their lives...what if the putt didn't count for one stroke?

Huge impact. I'd say it would have a bigger impact than any other single part of my game. I can make up an off day on the tee or not hitting as many green if the putter is on.

I could easily be 7 - 8 strokes per round better eliminating three putts. Some days I only have 3 or 4 three putts and I have broken 80 on a few of those occasions this year.

massive, probably more than any other club. 2 rounds ago i shot 85 with 38 putts, 5 of which were 3-putts. eliminate every one of those, and i shoot 80. make just a couple other putts inside 10' - heck, even inside 6' - and i'm breaking 80. in golf, there are two things that make me want to beat my head against a wall: missing a green from inside 100 yards, but even more than that being terrified over a putt. literally dreading the putt. fairway position a, very acceptable approach shot onto the green in position b or b-, 3-putt. it's so frustrating.

Huge impact. I hit a ton of fairways & GIR yesterday and had 4 three putts inside of 17/20 feet. PO'd me so bad, today I drove two hours, got a new fitting, hit new putters for four hours and came home with a new putter.

I don't think it has too much influence on your score. It is a part of the game that must be executed properly to score well and should count the same as any other strike of the golf ball.

I've always fallen into the Dufner/Hogan philosophy that putting sucks. I don't enjoy it, and would like golf better if it didn't count for a huge part of the score. But it does, so I will continue to try to be less terrible at it.

I'm one over for two rounds on two separate courses .. All due to great putting really

13 putts 2 days ago 11 today . Just missing in good spots where I'm always up hill . A big factor in the game and a great equalizer

Putting - the only club I KNOW will be hit 30+ times in a round. Of course it makes a difference - putting 31 times v 36 times means a great deal - especially the closer to par one scores.

Putting is the great equalizer. A great putter can make up for lackluster ball striking

Its absolutely one of, if not the biggest factor for me breaking 80 right now. Everything else besides chipping is pretty good or decent enough but I lose so many damn strokes by or in the greens

Putting - the only club I KNOW will be hit 30+ times in a round. Of course it makes a difference - putting 31 times v 36 times means a great deal - especially the closer to par one scores.

I agree. My poor putting has cost me lots of strokes recently, while every other clubs is working.

Putting is the great equalizer. A great putter can make up for lackluster ball striking

So true.

and ruin an otherwise solid day of ball striking
Yes, I had a day like that a few weeks back. Hit it great and putted like an idiot

I think it was in Harvey Penick's Little Red Book, someone came to him for help with his putting, after chatting Harvey started walking to the practice range & the guy said the putting green is this way, Harvey replied w/ your putting is fine, you don't hit it close enough to the hole, so when ever i putt bad, I think maybe i should try to hit it closer to the hole.

I could be under 5 if I putted well. Still working on it.

It is pretty rare that I have more than 3 or 4 stroke variance in the total number of putting strokes per round. While I understand what everone is saying, that's a max of about 4% difference assuming a score of 85. That doesn't feel quite so important as I would have expected.

It is pretty rare that I have more than 3 or 4 stroke variance in the total number of putting strokes per round. While I understand what everone is saying, that's a max of about 4% difference assuming a score of 85. That doesn't feel quite so important as I would have expected.
True - but change 85 to 78. Then the four strokes makes a >5% difference, which (over time) becomes significant.

Putting is THE main influence on my score. I can miss fairways and GiR's all day, but if my putting is on, my scoring stays the same.

If putting goes haywire, the 5's and 6's, and 7's start popping up on my card, and total score gets ridiculous!

Putting definitely has an effect on my score - if that goes down the tubes, big numbers appear...

Putting absolutely has an impact. I don't know about you guys but the way I perform on the putting green before the round starts has a big impact on me during the round.

Putting pretty much dictates my score. If I have a good day putting, I'm going to put up a decent score. If I have a bad day putting, it's going to be an ugly score.

Of course it is a big part, as it should be.

The development of my game has progressed I. A way that I'm just now getting concerned with putting. I've improved quite a bit tee to green this year, but I am a terrible putter. It hasn't bothered me much before. I have always been much more concerned with striking the ball well (because that's the fun part). Now I've gotten to where my bad putting is taking some of the fun out of watching a well struck iron stick on the green in regulation, because I know I'm still gonna have a heck of a time making par if it's outside 10 feet or so.

I essentially can't make a putt of more than about four feet. You don't get many birdies that way.

When Ben Hogan complained about his putting his wife told him to hit it closer.

In some cases what we perceive as bad putting is really bad ballstriking.

Back