PGA Tour Requires Pros to Add New Events to Their Schedules

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
According to the Golf Channel, a new rule requiring each player to compete in an event he had not previously played in the last four years has been approved by the PGA Tour Policy Board and will be implemented for the 2016-17 season. The penalties for not meeting the new requirement will be stiff: a fine that could exceed $20,000 and the threat of suspension.

I think it will help the events that haven't been able to put out the best of fields. The fine doesn't seem large enough, but the suspension could be a deterrent.

Hello Bryon Nelson and Colonial now! LOL.

This seems like a good rule. Helps the tournaments and probably even the players.

I think it will help the events that haven't been able to put out the best of fields. The fine doesn't seem large enough, but the suspension could be a deterrent.

Yeah the fine seems silly. For the struggling guy that would of course be a huge sum, but I think this is aimed at the guys who bring in the crowds, and 20K is nothing to them. They will probably lose more than that by going to a lower paying tourney instead of a high profile one.

Yeah the fine seems silly. For the struggling guy that would of course be a huge sum, but I think this is aimed at the guys who bring in the crowds, and 20K is nothing to them. They will probably lose more than that by going to a lower paying tourney instead of a high profile one.

Agree completely. This is only aimed at the top 50 players essentially, who are all plenty well off. The threat of suspension is the big kicker though if they actually enforce that.

I like the idea though. Broadens the competition on these smaller events and makes more tournaments relevant. Plus, based on how it reads, it's only 1 tournament a year that has to be different.

How about instead of a fine they dock FedEx Cup points then the guys who this is targeted at would have actual motivation to play new events.

The Phoenix WM Open will see new players - I mean, who wouldn't want to be heckled on a par three in a football stadium?

The Phoenix WM Open will see new players - I mean, who wouldn't want to be heckled on a par three in a football stadium?

You are forgetting they get heckling on 17 now also with the stadium seating being added. I feel for the guys who don't try and drive the green it will be ruthless.

How about instead of a fine they dock FedEx Cup points then the guys who this is targeted at would have actual motivation to play new events.

That's an excellent idea!

Now that's pretty cool.

This could help the Shriner's Open in the month of October. Always seems the big names skip this tournament.

Agree completely. This is only aimed at the top 50 players essentially, who are all plenty well off. The threat of suspension is the big kicker though if they actually enforce that.

I like the idea though. Broadens the competition on these smaller events and makes more tournaments relevant. Plus, based on how it reads, it's only 1 tournament a year that has to be different.

the suspension part is what I saw as potential sticking point for those guys but I don't see the tour suspended it's bigger names for not following this rule. Fupresti's suggestion of docking fedex points is a better solution and more easily enforcible

I wonder if there is some sort of exemption for the events that are opposite the WGC events and the open.

I really like the rule. Lets see if they enforce it or not

I wonder if there is some sort of exemption for the events that are opposite the WGC events and the open.

They just have to play a new event so there are plenty of options. The secondary events opposite WGC events will still get screwed. Maybe if they offered full FedEx cup points for them they could at least get some guys in the 50-100 range.

The big names blow $20K on a hole playing skins, they wont care about that little of a fine

The big names blow $20K on a hole playing skins, they wont care about that little of a fine

Well with a POSSIBLE suspension I'm sure they will comply.

They just have to play a new event so there are plenty of options. The secondary events opposite WGC events will still get screwed. Maybe if they offered full FedEx cup points for them they could at least get some guys in the 50-100 range.

OK I misunderstood the rule to mean that they were going to be required to play every event every 4 years.

I agree that the fine is nowhere near enough. The guys who can't afford it are already playing in any event they can, and the guys this is aimed at will probably laugh at that number.

Focus on the big old suspension as the primary point of concern. Sweet delicious suspensions!!!

The threat of suspensions and actual suspensions are 2 different things, Id be curious to see how that is handled

The threat of suspensions and actual suspensions are 2 different things, Id be curious to see how that is handled

Wouldn't they have to have a specific suspension policy in place vs a case by case scenario in order to keep it consistent and fair?

I like it but I don't think it will have the same affect as TW signing up for an event. They should get more gate, but not what they are looking for.

They would NEVER suspend the ones that are most effected by this new rule. Not going to happen one way or another.

That being said, how hard would it be for the top guys to comply. Probably not hard in the least? If they are for the game, they will comply.

Back