How do you play when feel has left your game?

More on the thick winter gloves. I generally wear them for the front nine and go back to normal on the back (assuming it has warmed up a little). All winter I've averaged 4 strokes higher on the front than on the back.

I play pretty bad. If I lose feel/touch it means my play around the greens suffer, and that's where my game is the best. So if that's gone then my score will most likely be higher than normal.

I like wearing the Foot Joy rain gloves when it is cold out. Two gloves until it warms up enough for just one.

I played a round a few weeks ago when the wind chill was in the teens. I was wearing winter gloves and my hands were still numb for a good bit of the round. I just accepted the fact that I wasn't going to be playing my normal game and rolled with it. The worst part to me of playing in the cold is feeling restricted on my backswing. I take shorter swings with my irons but fairway woods and driver it doesn't work as well

You do get used to it living up north, but I have had a problem with my hands getting cold. This was the first year of using the Bridgestone Barricold gloves and they help immensley. Before that I had to constantly blow into my hands. I do find that I start to rush through a round at times just to get out of the cold so at times I have to force myself to really slow down.

Don't think I had much feel anyways. Living in Buffalo my whole life I'm used to it and being a little cold might actually help me not overthink.

If it's not too windy, I'll walk the round. Easy way to keep warm is to stay active.

I don't like playing when it's cold... but I think cold is a relative term. Having lived my whole life in New Jersey before moving to the Charlotte area... cold to me is below 35 degrees. I can play just fine when it's 40-45 degrees in a compression shirt under my polo and some hand warmers in my pockets. I see others who grew up down here wearing a ski cap, a thermal undershirt, a polo, a vest and a jacket... and then wearing the cold weather gloves. They look like Randy, the little brother from 'A Christmas Story'.

I have a decided advantage when the weather is a little cooler down here because it doesn't bother me. My typical 'cold-weather' game is about 4 strokes worse than when it's warmer... but, I tend to just swing a little easier to ensure better contact. There is nothing worse than the sting of a thin 4 iron!

A couple of guys I regularly play with wear the heated jacket (vest) and like it. I don't think I'd like it. I wear a good silk base layer (like skliers), then a long sleeve mock, a loose long sleeve polo, sleeveless sweater vest, and wind breaker on top and my body is fine. It's the hands that are usually the problem. I hate the thick winter gloves and lose the feel of the club.

I was hoping the new Bridgestone winter gloves were lighter weight than the Foot joy ones I currently wear.

They are a little thinner than the FJ gloves but in my experience (and afwcardinals), they were still too thick to play with both.

I still think the best solution is just buying a normal RH glove and just covering both hands with those.

When talking about feel keeping the golf ball soft is key. We don't have anywhere near the cold you guys do stateside but in winter I keep my golf balls in a bag indoors where it's warm. I think the rubber core stays soft and doesn't "jar" the hands as much on impact.

May not make much of a difference where some of you guys are playing but this worked for me in north Florida.

I don't play nearly as well when it's cold. I lose all touch around the greens, and I find myself playing more shots that will run out because it's easier to predict.

I usually won't try flop shots or anything requiring spin/touch unless I absolutely have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You get used to it. You realize feel is a luxury and adjust.

I don't play much in the cold anymore but when I did I would like to run a little bit to get warmed up. Sometimes all it would take was a quick jog around the parking lot before the round. I'd also take a dozen or two practice swings during the round if I felt myself getting tight. I'd do this while waiting for others to hit, a good distance away from the other players of course.

A shot of tequila and a little hope usually helps, that and not caring how you play since it is out of season anyways.

crappy!

Winter golf gloves, keep and extra ball warm if possible and Fireball.

I guess that Im just used to playing in the cold because I dont really notice a difference in feel in the cold. Ive played in temps as cold as the high 20s and it still wasnt a big deal. I do notice that the ball doesnt have the same pop to it in the cold but even then, its not a big difference.

Putting sucks when you can't feel but the greens suck in winter so it doesn't matter much

I always walk when it is cold. Will only play down to about 35 degrees and wind less than 10mph. I use and oversized mitten for both hands that I can slip on and off easy between shots. Lots of layered clothing but not restrictive and a good windbreaker jacket.

Going through this now. Some holes are really good and others the lack of feel and need to stay warm just kill me. The hardest thing for me with the cold and feel is my chipping. Was feeling good about how it was going but past few times out in the cold it has been a mystery.

I guess its just something I have gotten used to. My hands are always cold so I am used to that. When I lose feel I just have to focus more and think about the shot a bit more. Keep the thought in my mind through the swing.

Some of the best rounds I've played have been when I was freezing my bits off. I'm not sure what it is, but I seem to play better when I'm cold.

Diabetes and age mean no cold weather play for me. My hands is the first thing to get cold, I hate to play with cold hands. I'll wait until spring.

I play like crap lol. I'm good as long as I have feeling in my hands. If I lose feeling in my hands forget it. Usually just club up on every swing and hope for the best. Chipping and putting are what I struggle the most with when it gets real cold.

Back