How do you play when feel has left your game?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
So with the cold weather happening all over the US, I'm wondering how people play without feel. I played last weekend and played well the first 3 holes in each side. Then I lost all my feel in my hands. Rubbed them together, held my hand heater and kept them in my pockets.

Not only did I lose my feel but all my little routines were adjusted to stay warm. It was frustrating to say the least. And this is one reason I don't play when it's cold. The game is about feel as much as its about swing.

So how do you play with lack of feel?

You get used to it living in the north. However I agree with you pre shot routines change along with everything else. It becomes more about rushing to complete the round.
The feel is definitely not there.

I guess we're used to it up north here.

A good pair of performance gloves helps keep the digits from getting to cold.

But then as you say, you tend to use that feel or connection with the club. So yeah it becomes more about getting outl then working on too many mechanics or swing thoughts.

For me winter golf is about a chance to get out unexpectedly and just enjoy it.

But I rarely play of its below 40 to 45.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I swing harder haha. Living in the northeast and dealing with playing in snow that's pretty much all I can do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cold weather gloves hand warmers and the warm pouch help but it still has a big affect on the game.

It has a huge impact on your game. Your all bundled up and definitely don't have the range of motion you usually have. Plus like you said your hands are cold and you a concentrating on that. But, in the end, its better to be playing golf in bad conditions that not playing golf.

I dress to be as warm as possible without restricting movement. I try to stay active between shots to keep the warmth.

If i cant feel my hands at all i probably shouldn't be playing...thats not fun.
Sunday it was cold for the first 6 holes then warmed up. Juat kept gloves on as much as possible and i was fine

Generally don't play very well and my hands are generally most impacted by the cold. The older I have gotten my hands seem impacted by cold the most. I use cart gloves and the hand heaters to try and keep them warm. The layering isn't bad, I think it helps to keep from over swinging. But it is something I deal with so I can get out and play.

Im going to buy the new Bridgestone winter gloves and a pouch like the NFL quarterbacks use. Maybe a heated vest...ugh
Cold weather gloves hand warmers and the warm pouch help but it still has a big affect on the game.

Walking the course helps stay a little warmer because of the increased activity but it is certainly still more difficult to maintain feel in the colder temps.

I just get used to making a lot of swings during cold rounds. I need to stay loose and keep the feel of a swing going at all times. Too quickly can i lock up and then be screwed for the rest of the round

I try to keep things really simple. Shorter swing to try and ensure solid contact and just focus harder than normal.

You dress real warm and just put up with it. I would rather play golf with no feel than not be able to play at all. It is frustrating though, as someone who has to get up and down quite often to score, feel is such a big part of the game for me.

Its not easy, but its part of playing up here in the north. I just try to stick to usual routines and honestly if I'm playing when its below 50 its probably just for fun and I'm not worried about playing well.

Im going to buy the new Bridgestone winter gloves and a pouch like the NFL quarterbacks use. Maybe a heated vest...ugh

I would avoid the gloves, just a tad too thick to use both when playing IMO. Better off going with the pouch and hand warmers.

I play really bad with lack of feel.

I put the big ol' mittens on the Clicgear handle, keep my hands in my pockets as much as possible, and basically just do the same things I do on the job site all winter. I am constantly moving/wiggling/flexing my fingers to keep the blood flow going through my hands. The golf is generally harder and the scores are worse but golf without feel is simply just worse golf.

i love those gloves, allow me to have some feeling of the club inkling others I have worn. Heated vest maybe a little overkill for FL cold. I usually just wear UA cold gear shirt, golf polo and the a UA storm 1/4 zip or the jacket that came out this past winter.

My short game really suffers from cold hands, so I try to limit it by using cold weather gloves combined with hand warmers in winter mitts.

We did a review of a heated jacket on THP a few years back. I wonder if that ever took off?!

A couple of guys I regularly play with wear the heated jacket (vest) and like it. I don't think I'd like it. I wear a good silk base layer (like skliers), then a long sleeve mock, a loose long sleeve polo, sleeveless sweater vest, and wind breaker on top and my body is fine. It's the hands that are usually the problem. I hate the thick winter gloves and lose the feel of the club.

I would avoid the gloves, just a tad too thick to use both when playing IMO. Better off going with the pouch and hand warmers.
I was hoping the new Bridgestone winter gloves were lighter weight than the Foot joy ones I currently wear.

Good to know, thank you

I bought the Callaway thermal gloves - they are the best winter glove I have used yet - even better than the Mizuno's I used in the past. Thin, great grip, but still warm. Not going to say the same feel as not wearing a glove, but much less feel restriction

I hater playing in layers, but I like playing better than not playing, so I just suck it up. Winter hat, UA base shirt, sweater or 1/4 zip shirt, maybe my UA base thermal underwear if it's that cold.

Back