TaylorMade M2 Driver Preview

Was able to put another 18 on this driver today. All I can say is I'm excited to hit it every chance I get. Can't remember the last time I've felt consistent distance and forgiveness in a driver. Each shot I feel more confident then the last. Honestly intended to hit the xR16 today but I didn't see a reason to. I'm going to give it to my daughter and swap in the shaft she has in last years XR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to putting this through its paces. I loved the SLDR when I was hitting the ball well so I'm hoping to see some improvements.

Very excited and thankful to have the chance to review this. I can't wait for it to come. I have a cool opportunity this weekend to make it even cooler of an experience! Will write about it when the time comes.

Looking forward to putting this through its paces. I loved the SLDR when I was hitting the ball well so I'm hoping to see some improvements.
Fupbombs

Does anyone know if Taylormade intends to update their fitting carts with the no-upcharge shaft options?

Does anyone know if Taylormade intends to update their fitting carts with the no-upcharge shaft options?

The dealer by me had what looked like 20-30 different shafts to try. Then again they don't carry much inventory as they focus on fittings and custom orders. Much more options than the big box stores had shaft wise.

I visited the Taylormade Performance Center at TPC Sawgrass this weekend.

I already own an M1 10.5* shafted with a Fuji Six Stiff. I really like the feel of the M1, and the distance is good. But sometimes it looks like the ball isn't staying in the air long enough. Since I fitted myself, I want to verify the specs and data to get the most out of the driver.

Spent two hours hitting the M1 and M2 Drivers. Here are my general impressions:

• M1 & M2 Drivers produce very similar data on the trackman with the same loft and shafts. Note: M1 with CG Weight all the way back.
  • Advantage goes to the M2 on mishits. 2-3mph higher ball speed on mishits. This is helpful if your mishits are only slightly offline, you still retain better distance. Note: if you jack it 30yds offline, this won't help...;-).
  • M2 also felt just a little more "solid" or dense on strikes.
My current M1 Driver results were good enough I doubt I will change for now. M2 is a great stick though.
If you are purchasing for the first time, I would buy the M2 unless you really need to fine tune the spin. Fitter told me that the M1 CG Weight provided up to .75* launch and up to 300 rpm spin change if needed.

LB

Another good driving day yesterday, just 2 bad ones that were crappy swings. Hit some bombs for this guy and I'm finding myself with guys who generally outhit me or in some cases slightly in front of them. Played a hole yesterday that I've played over 100 times that is generally driver, 6 iron and yesterday it was driver, PW and the wind was non existent. That is not an every shot experience but when you catch one it goes.

Good stuff!

This one intrigues me a lot, can't get it out of my head, which is strange.

This is one I'm hoping to get some time with in April at club clash. The m1 was solid and saw some good results, a little added forgiveness/ball speed retention on mishits is a good thing for me.

Good stuff!

This one intrigues me a lot, can't get it out of my head, which is strange.

I'd say it's because it's the first driver from TM in a long while that seems to be directed towards forgiveness and not targeted at lowest spin possible. Probably have to go back to the R9 Supertri for that, which I know you adored.

I'd say it's because it's the first driver from TM in a long while that seems to be directed towards forgiveness and not targeted at lowest spin possible. Probably have to go back to the R9 Supertri for that, which I know you adored.

It seems that quite a few tour guys are on this wagon as well. Glad to see the tour guys diversify as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a chance to spend some time with one of these yesterday on an outdoor range and loved it. More to come but I can't wait for mine to show up! This is going to be a fun club based on what I saw yesterday!

Played another round with the M2 today.

It it was pretty windy so not the best conditions to figure out average distance like I did last time.

Still loving the forgiveness of this thing.

Sadly, after another round, I still hated the black tie m4 shaft I ordered with it. 2 rounds in a row of not liking it, and I returned the m2 to the store right after my round. Having a new one sent out with the rogue silver 60.

Played another round with the M2 today.

It it was pretty windy so not the best conditions to figure out average distance like I did last time.

Still loving the forgiveness of this thing.

Sadly, after another round, I still hated the black tie m4 shaft I ordered with it. 2 rounds in a row of not liking it, and I returned the m2 to the store right after my round. Having a new one sent out with the rogue silver 60.

What were the problems you were seeing with the black tie?

What were the problems you were seeing with the black tie?

Was very whippy for my swing. Felt like half the time my club face was open at Impact when I really went after it. The guy at the pro shop said the new black tie is way whippier than the previous model.

Also while it was the same weight as my other shafts, it feels pretty counterbalanced to be used in heavier driver heads. But the m2 is a light head and just didn't feel like I could track the club head in my swing the way I wanted.

And, honestly, I didn't like the looks of it either, which while not a big deal, didn't give it any points either.

I was hitting this again and it continues to tease me. I was ringing everything off the heelside today but ball speeds were hardly affected and the spin stayed between 2000 and 2400. Dispersion is probably my favorite thing here and even my mishits are still flying and ending up roughly where I want them to.
A concern I have is that I imagine I'd want to cut 1.5" or so off to bring it down to 44" but there's not really a good way to bring the SW back up without using lead tape. I guess I could take a shaft in the 80g range and then cut it down but that's getting a little finicky. I should probably just put the big boy pants on and get used to playing 45"+ again.

As an aside I quite enjoyed the Kuro Kage TiNi shaft today.

Has anyone hit this with the Tensei yet? That's the combo that strikes my curiosity.

Was very whippy for my swing. Felt like half the time my club face was open at Impact when I really went after it. The guy at the pro shop said the new black tie is way whippier than the previous model.

Also while it was the same weight as my other shafts, it feels pretty counterbalanced to be used in heavier driver heads. But the m2 is a light head and just didn't feel like I could track the club head in my swing the way I wanted.

And, honestly, I didn't like the looks of it either, which while not a big deal, didn't give it any points either.

Man, I have heard the Black Tie described as a lot of things, but "whippy" I have not heard before.

A concern I have is that I imagine I'd want to cut 1.5" or so off to bring it down to 44" but there's not really a good way to bring the SW back up without using lead tape. I guess I could take a shaft in the 80g range and then cut it down but that's getting a little finicky. I should probably just put the big boy pants on and get used to playing 45"+ again..

If the M2's sole weight is anything like the RBZ's all you need is a security torx bit and apply a little heat to soften the lock tite bond on the threads and it will come right out.

You can then measure out cotton balls or yarn and stuff that it the head or wait for some heavier weights to pop up online.

I had an RBZ 3w once and added 6g of cotton to the head so I could play it 41" instead of 43". Worked like a charm.

Man, I have heard the Black Tie described as a lot of things, but "whippy" I have not heard before.

I thought it was just me until the guy at Roger Dunn said the same thing. If I had a smoother tempo I probably would have loved it.

Sent from this Tapatalk app thingy

I thought it was just me until the guy at Roger Dunn said the same thing. If I had a smoother tempo I probably would have loved it.

This is the Matrix Black Tie shaft right? Low launch, low spin, been compared by many to be rebar and in testing shows some of the lowest numbers available in graphite?

Maybe they gave you the wrong shaft? Or it was an error?

Yah whippy if not something I've ever heard anyone say about the black tie.

Was just talking to Canadan about this. It's one of the worst feeling shafts ever but gives me amazing numbers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I would check that black tie. I have a feeling something is off there. I have a pretty darn fast swing and aggressive transition and the black tie is one of the harshest stiffest shafts I have ever touched.
This coming from someone that likes the stiff stiff profiles

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This is the Matrix Black Tie shaft right? Low launch, low spin, been compared by many to be rebar and in testing shows some of the lowest numbers available in graphite?

Yep. Matrix Black Tie 60m4.

The guy at the store when I returned it yesterday games the black tie himself, the previous black tie m3. His exact words to me were "it's a night and day different shaft with the same name." Now, I've never swung the m3 so can't comment on it myself, but I've swung many stout low spin / low launch shafts (as that's my preference for my swing), and this felt lighter and softer than all of them.

Back