WGC-Dell Match Play Thread (Spoilers)

See for that I get it, but that is for exhibition golf to me.
And goes back to my theory of the tour doing a terrible job of creating stars.

But doesn't winning take care of making stars?

The way I see it we have plenty of young stars. Whether the PGA helped foster that, I don't know. Rickie, Spieth, Day, Rory, Dustin just to name a few. Golf is in a good place

Outside of the current tour stars, who else is worthy. I would think good play would take care of the star status as well as personality.
See for that I get it, but that is for exhibition golf to me.
And goes back to my theory of the tour doing a terrible job of creating stars.

But doesn't winning take care of making stars?

Nope. Marketing does.
Jimmy Walker - Not a Star
Johnny Football - A Star

Remember all of the talk about Rickie Fowler and not winning. He was considered a star. Heck until the end of last year, you could say the same thing about Jason Day. Before his end of the year run, I think he had 4 PGA Tour wins total (then got 5 last year and a major). The tour has great young talent right now, and could have really used this event to be something special.

They are the ones that put it out as March madness with brackets and such. Its just not however. THe appeal of March Madness are the chances that come with it, mixed with rooting interest. This has the chance to be that, to a lesser extent because of the interest, but instead of embracing the Gonzaga, they feared it.

Nope. Marketing does.
Jimmy Walker - Not a Star
Johnny Football - A Star

Remember all of the talk about Rickie Fowler and not winning. He was considered a star. Heck until the end of last year, you could say the same thing about Jason Day. Before his end of the year run, I think he had 4 PGA Tour wins total (then got 5 last year and a major). The tour has great young talent right now, and could have really used this event to be something special.

They are the ones that put it out as March madness with brackets and such. Its just not however. THe appeal of March Madness are the chances that come with it, mixed with rooting interest. This has the chance to be that, to a lesser extent because of the interest, but instead of embracing the Gonzaga, they feared it.

Johnny Manziels stardom came in large part due to his personality and his college success. He developed a cult following for his actions on and off the field in College Station, but winning definitely played a part. The NFL certainly didn't make him a star, he was before he got there.

Johnny Manziels stardom came in large part due to his personality and his college success. He developed a cult following for his actions on and off the field in College Station, but winning definitely played a part. The NFL certainly didn't make him a star, he was before he got there.

Marketing himself made him a star. Then the school did the rest for him.
Just one example of many. Jordan Spieth was a star before he started winning on tour. See his UA deal and then marketing him through the roof.
Rickie Fowler was the same way.

Just as the example of Jimmy Walker shows that just winning does not make one a star.

Still cant see why on earth a tour is marketing an event as March Madness with brackets when that is not the case, or why they wont embrace the underdog. This is the one event a year where embracing the underdog when they win, can actually turn them into stars, because you still get to constantly show highlights of the superstars they beat.

Im not saying people cant like this way of the tournament. Just that I think it is a horrible move, that is no different than eliminating the cut line.

Marketing himself made him a star. Then the school did the rest for him.
Just one example of many. Jordan Spieth was a star before he started winning on tour. See his UA deal and then marketing him through the roof.
Rickie Fowler was the same way.

Just as the example of Jimmy Walker shows that just winning does not make one a star.

Still cant see why on earth a tour is marketing an event as March Madness with brackets when that is not the case, or why they wont embrace the underdog. This is the one event a year where embracing the underdog when they win, actually turns them into stars, because you still get to constantly show highlights of the superstars they beat.

Im not saying people cant like this way of the tournament. Just that I think it is a horrible move, that is no different than eliminating the cut line.

Jordan Spieth also won the US Am twice which only a couple other people have done. I'm not saying winning is the only thing, but it certainly matters. Jimmy Walker seems about as interesting as paint drying, I think that's why he isn't a "star."

Jordan Spieth also won the US Am twice which only a couple other people have done. I'm not saying winning is the only thing, but it certainly matters. Jimmy Walker seems about as interesting as paint drying, I think that's why he isn't a "star."

Hahha. Watching paint drying is awesome.
But outside of die hards and locals, nobody knows who wins the US Am.

Don't forget a NCAA Championship!!!! #HookEm

Agree with Walker, he's a good story actually but would rather watch tennis than him in contention.

I keep waiting for someone to hit a great shot.

JS win two US ams?

They must mean the Junior Am, because he hasn't even won one of the "regular" ones.

Yes I'm aware of that but thought maybe I missed something. I think it was junior AMs

I guess this kind of proves my point? I kid I kid.

Now I have it go back and read what you wrote.

Yes I'm aware of that but thought maybe I missed something. I think it was junior AMs

Yes Junior AMs. Second person ever to win it more than once, other guys name is Tiger Woods

Yes Junior AMs. Second person ever to win it more than once, other guys name is Tiger Woods

Honest question TH. Do you think outside of Texas guys or true golf die hards people know who wins the Junior Am? Im asking genuinely because I honestly dont know, but I honestly couldnt tell you who won any of them, and I work in golf. I asked a guy at a club company just now, and he got 1 of the 2 Tiger Woods years right only.

Yeah tiger had 3 juniors and 3 AMs as well and junior worlds.

Haven't been able to watch anything live yet. How's the course look?

Honest question TH. Do you think outside of Texas guys or true golf die hards people know who wins the Junior Am? Im asking genuinely because I honestly dont know, but I honestly couldnt tell you who won any of them, and I work in golf. I asked a guy at a club company just now, and he got 1 of the 2 Tiger Woods years right only.

No I don't think a lot could. I followed him since he is an alum of my high school and a UT guy, but I think all the success he had as an amateur and at Texas built up his status before he ever set foot on a PGA course as a professional. Remember, he played multiple events as an amateur where he gained some notoriety. I'm not disagreeing that marketing plays a part, but I think winning has and always will be the way most people get into the spotlight

No I don't think a lot could. I followed him since he is an alum of my high school and a UT guy, but I think all the success he had as an amateur and at Texas built up his status before he ever set foot on a PGA course as a professional. Remember, he played multiple events as an amateur where he gained some notoriety. I'm not disagreeing that marketing plays a part, but I think winning has and always will be the way most people get into the spotlight

I see it the exact opposite.
Winning validates the marketing.
Winning can also create a star from nowhere (see Dufner and Bradley), but the difference is, neither of those guys have much marketing, so unless they keep winning, nobody thinks about them.

Where as Fowler was huge, Jason Day was huge. It reminds me so well of the Great White Hype and how well marketing can work.

I see it the exact opposite.
Winning validates the marketing.
Winning can also create a star from nowhere (see Dufner and Bradley), but the difference is, neither of those guys have much marketing, so unless they keep winning, nobody thinks about them.

Where as Fowler was huge, Jason Day was huge. It reminds me so well of the Great White Hype and how well marketing can work.

There's a completely unrelated, but kind of related, great read on sneaker marketing on ESPN today: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15047018/how-nike-lost-stephen-curry-armour

I think the article discusses some of the same issues. You can have marketing without substance, and substance without marketing, but when you actually have both BOOM!

Was that a cure putter Knox had?

Back