Is your game ready or does it need help?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
Week in and week out, we all play golf. Some of us more than other because of climate and area. But it's safe to say 95% of the members on THP have golf on their mind 24/7. We are either thinking about our last round or the next one coming up. I think we can all agree on this.

What I want to know is, is your game ready at a moments notice? Do you stay on top of it year around? Or do need a kick in the pants to try to improve. I know a few guys that take steps to improve their game every year and it has paid dividends. They do so because they are driven to play the best they can. I know other guys that just work on their games when they get called for an event or a special golf trip. Which are you?

If you have been on the forum for the past three years you know that THP has engaged Callaway golf in #thegrandaddy and lost the MATCH every year. What they gained as men can't be measured but that is not what this thread is about. We have a chance to go back to SoCal in December and try again. Will the lucky guys that get tapped to play wait for their names to called to get better? Or are all of you that want in, working on that game right now? Do you have your eyes on personal improvement with #thegrandaddy taped to your mental mirror as you hone your skills. Or are you good with last weeks round but will get better if your name is called?

Me, personally, I'm ready today! And I'll be ready tomorrow and the next..........

I'm trying to take my game from less than casual to slightly avid.I hit balls daily in my net to work on what the pro has taught me.As of this moment im no where near ready to break in the 90's or better.But I'm keeping a good attitude

I feel like i was ready when i got there and i would be ready if asked to play golf in a match today. My swing is simple and mentally I've done a good job at learning to take things one shot at a time on a course. So to answer your question, yes i feel my game is and will be ready if called on

I'm always ready. I can swing once every 1-2 weeks and stay prepared for the next round of golf. I'm not a range guy so that likely helps my mental take on this.

I believe I am ready to go anytime called. I play and practice as much as possible whether I am preparing for a specific event or not. Golf is my passion so I treat it as such every chance I get.

My game's always being worked on. Winters are time for swing changes and lessons - summers are time for tweaks and playing golf. At the same time, at an 11-ish handicap, there's always work to be done. Srixon's campaign put it well - there's always better.

My game can always use a little help. But where I differ now from a couple years ago is I view golf more as a challenge and an avenue to self improvement rather than a vehicle to kill four hours while drinking a beer or two.

Then I wouldn't have even considered playing before spring. Now I'm hoping to have at least ten rounds and that much more practice in by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though I can only golf around 8-9 months of the year I am always working on my game. There are ebbs and flows for sure but one thing I am always doing is working. Trust me when I get called for an event that is not when my prep starts

My game has been relatively the same for a long time without much practice. I used to play all the time before marriage and kids, but it was always just to play because I loved it. Being a part of THP and being more involved the last few years the competition aspect has brought me back to wanting to practice and play even more. I think it has showed in my game everywhere except putting, I am still an awful putter on most days, but I'm working on it this year. Doing things like sim rounds in the winter and hitting up the local store to get some swings is better than nothing. While a lesson may help me over the winter, I've heard so many stories about getting worse before getting better, I'm scared to death of even trying it.

So to answer your question is my game ready a moments notice? Yes I'm ready now! But it wont stop me from trying to get better.

Nope.
It's handicapped and while I love the game and practicing it, a year long grind with hoping I might get into something is not for me.

It's seasonal for many I think FK.

Overall I'm ready but there are areas I will continue to work on for sure.

I'll let you know after the sim round on Sunday. I haven't looked or touch a club since September. Normally my game is in decent shape after the offseason though.

Here in Rochester I obviously have to deal with snow, but even in the winter I keep up the practice through a simulator. I try to keep my game in check all year and swinging on a weekly basis has kept my rhythm and fundamentals at a pretty good consistency. I'm not working on my game hoping to use it in an event, I am working on my game so I can improve every round I play.

I stay on top of my game year round bc I have personal goals I want to reach. If I'm lucky enough to be picked for a THP event, of course I'll kick it up a notch because my team deserves the best I have to offer. To me that's human nature to pick it up when selected for a team or event.

I am game ready and where im at right now with my game I feel pretty confident I can give anyone put in front of me a great match. Of course I could be better, but I rarely let myself slack off regardless if I'm in an event or not.

Haven't hit a ball and seen the flight since before Thanksgiving. So hard to say my game us ready when I don't have any, so it doesn't need help either.

I'm not surprised Freddie is ready. Me, I'll be honest, I need a kick in the pants. I need to find more time and motivation for commitment.

I am always ready, I practice regardless if an event is coming up or not. I am trying to get better of course.

I'm not surprised Freddie is ready. Me, I'll be honest, I need a kick in the pants. I need to find more time and motivation for commitment.

Im with you. I go through spots like this one.
Although think of REgional Rivalry and maybe that gives you the kick needed.

always need help. It's a matter of it I am going to get it or not.

Mentally ready...yes
Golf Game ready....no

But it will be, in due time

I may not always be taking lessons or working on some kind of swing improvement but I do everything in my power and budget to keep my game in "game shape" all year round. A golfer like me always has room to gain consistency with all 14 clubs in the bag. If something goes haywire in my swing I typically give myself one week off, then one week of solid practice to get back where I want to be.

I try to keep ready year round. Hit the range at least once a week, and now am more focused on what I want to accomplish when I get there. Also play weekly as long as there isn't snow on the ground. That said, I know that I need to add in some more down time, as I'm getting older & golf isn't the easiest game on my body.

I am not on the course every week like some people, but I do still try to find the time to hit balls at the range just to keep the swing going when I am not playing. During the winter it can be tougher to get out there, but give me half an hour on the range and I am good to go regardless of how long it has been since I last swung a club

Mentally I don't have any issues, I know my typical miss when it turns up and what I need to do to either fix it or deal with it during the round, and a bad day on the golf course is better than a good day in the office so it won't stop me enjoying myself out there

Yes, there are things I want to work on, but my game travels fairly well in its current state so I have no issues with turning up on the first tee ready to rock and roll

I'm ready whenever. Over the last year I have worked on my game so that it can be ready to go whenever and plan to continue to do the same this year as I have a few things I want to improve more.

Great question captain, with the cold conditions that occur in the winter around here, there are some times where my game does slide off because I'm not out working on it, I'm trying to find some alternatives to stay sharp during that time frame, but the rest of the year I don't think my game takes any large leaps forward or back, just smalls ones with some tweaking necessary here or there.

But I have experience some slumps in the last couple years, especially when it relates to one specific aspect of your game, for me, my tee game. I've gone through a couple stints where I just couldn't hit a ball off the tee, the rest of my game seemed ok, but every time I stepped up, put a tee in the ground, put the ball on the tee, grabbed a club (No matter what club it was!), set it behind the ball and I had no idea what was going to happen, I equated it to some kind of driver yips. It's something I may always battle, but at least I've found some confidence in the last 6 or so months that have allowed me to move on from it and try and put it behind me!

Back