Question about Rust

RonInThornton

LEFTIES UNITE!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
28 GHIN
So, I was talking to one of my buddy's last night and mentioned that I was going to spend some time this weekend cleaning the rust off my Cleveland 60*

He went freakin nuts, insisting that the rust had to stay on. When I asked him why he said "Cause that's the way they are suppose to be".

Now even as a kid I was never the type to just go along with the "Because I said so" kind of answers, so can someone here explain to me why I am suppose to leave rust on my wedge?

Thanks

So, I was talking to one of my buddy's last night and mentioned that I was going to spend some time this weekend cleaning the rust off my Cleveland 60*

He went freakin nuts, insisting that the rust had to stay on. When I asked him why he said "Cause that's the way they are suppose to be".

Now even as a kid I was never the type to just go along with the "Because I said so" kind of answers, so can someone here explain to me why I am suppose to leave rust on my wedge?

Thanks

if its the oil can finish it will rust or raw finish, which i like, cuts down on glare and i also think it makes the wedge play just a little softer, some say it will make it spin more but dont believe that, its a myth lol

Raw finishes and finishes that are designed to age and rust are a part of the game. For years it was thought that rust would add more spin to the ball because it increased surface roughness, much like milled faces do in some ways. In theory that seems to make sense, however both Bob Vokey and Roger Cleveland both said on launch monitors it is strictly not the case because rust in general is both not hard enough to make a difference and that the surface area does not change enough.

I think it comes back to some people still believe that to be the case (I dont have an opinion one way or the other) and others just like the way it looks.

If you are having to clean rust off a club, chances are it will come back. So if for some reason you don't like it or it feels different, just give it some time, it should come back.

Raw finishes and finishes that are designed to age and rust are a part of the game. For years it was thought that rust would add more spin to the ball because it increased surface roughness, much like milled faces do in some ways. In theory that seems to make sense, however both Bob Vokey and Roger Cleveland both said on launch monitors it is strictly not the case because rust in general is both not hard enough to make a difference and that the surface area does not change enough.

I think it comes back to some people still believe that to be the case (I dont have an opinion one way or the other) and others just like the way it looks.

Thanks JB, that makes sense and suits my temperment way better than "Because that's the way it is" :good:

If you really want it off here is a easy way, soak the head in Coke for a couple hours and it should be gone, if not soak it a little longer, just dont get the ferrul down in the coke. I am talking about Coca Cola you drink

If you really want it off here is a easy way, soak the head in Coke for a couple hours and it should be gone, if not soak it a little longer, just dont get the ferrul down in the coke. I am talking about Coca Cola you drink

Thanks 10 yard. Since I'm not planning on being in Bogata when cleaning it I figured you meant the kind you drink :D

Oh man, what am I supposed to do with this bucket of Coke now. Oh, I figured it out. (See profile pic of 10YardDraw). :laughing:

I really hope my wedges don't rust. The look just doesn't fly for me.
Can you seal those wedges so they don't rust?
I like the looks of oil can, but I wouldn't buy one just because of the rust.

Thanks

Some people think that the rust gives more spin, but thats a myth. The rust is there because the face is rusting away and if the face is rusting away, the grooves are rusting away as well.

I really hope my wedges don't rust. The look just doesn't fly for me.
Can you seal those wedges so they don't rust?
I like the looks of oil can, but I wouldn't buy one just because of the rust.

Buy chrome wedges next time. The chrome finish acts as a protective coating. Other than that, unless you are REALLY anal about drying your wedges after every shot you will have to accept rusty wedges.
You could maybe get a clearcoat finish put on them, but Im sure that would probably wear off after you hit a few balls or a few bunker shots with them.
The whole point of a raw/oilcan finish is that they rust over time and have a weathered look to them. Some people like it, I personally dont.

Always wondered the same thing myself about rust on wedges. I always figured it was to make them look "experienced".

Some people think that the rust gives more spin, but thats a myth. The rust is there because the face is rusting away and if the face is rusting away, the grooves are rusting away as well.

not true at all, the grooves are not rusting away, they rust because of what they are made out of, the face/grooves doesnt rust away

Buy chrome wedges next time. The chrome finish acts as a protective coating. Other than that, unless you are REALLY anal about drying your wedges after every shot you will have to accept rusty wedges.
You could maybe get a clearcoat finish put on them, but Im sure that would probably wear off after you hit a few balls or a few bunker shots with them.
The whole point of a raw/oilcan finish is that they rust over time and have a weathered look to them. Some people like it, I personally dont.

Mine should be "white chrome" finished, but they don't look like the Chrome ones on the website.

I love rusty wedges. No particular reason why. They just look mean to me and all business

I love rusty wedges. No particular reason why. They just look mean to me and all business

i like them too, it really helps cut out all the glare. I was hitting my Jaws yesterday which is chrome (since they didnt have the black in stock when i bought it) and the sun was hitting it perfect and i couldnt even hardly see the face it was shining so bright, i never had that prob with my rusted up Nike VR Forged wedge.

yeah the rust won't hurt you wedge, most people think it looks cool. don't waste much effort getting the rust off if you are set on doing that. like the others above said just let the head soak in coca cola.

not true at all, the grooves are not rusting away, they rust because of what they are made out of, the face/grooves doesnt rust away
Ummm....what? If the face/grooves dont rust away, where do you think the rust comes from?
http://sirshanksalot.com/golf-news-...umors/1556-everything-about-rust-a-golf-clubs
In terms of disadvantages, rust will eat away at your clubs and more importantly their grooves. Since grooves play the biggest part in imparting spin, over time a rusted wedge will spin less.

Mine should be "white chrome" finished, but they don't look like the Chrome ones on the website.
Thats similar to the finish that my MP T-10 wedge has. Its got a plated finish but its not really shiny. Previously I had Mizuno MP-T and MP-R wedges with the more shiny chrome finish and the glare never bothered me.
Then again, I worked for years as a welder so that probably shouldnt be surprising. LOL

I had some old wilson wedges that were chrome and had a glare in my eye once and I knew I wouldn't get them again. Since then I have had Cleveland RTG (no finish) and now Mizuno MP T10s with the black satin (will tarnish/rust a little bit) and I just like the look of a dark face. It really frames the ball well.

All I've ever had is chrome wedges, and they never rusted. Now, I have two vintage, black finish wedges, and they are beginning to rust. I wiped them off pretty well after my round, but I guess it wasn't enough. It turns out that I hate the way the rust looks. I'm more worried about the wedge itself. One person says it isn't a problem, another says it eats away at your wedges. If it eats away, I need to completely prevent this from happening! Does anyone else have any input on this. Can I leave the rust there, and not worry too much about preventing it, or does it need to come off? Thanks for any help.

Love the look of my oil can vokey wedge now it's rusted, looks great

All I've ever had is chrome wedges, and they never rusted. Now, I have two vintage, black finish wedges, and they are beginning to rust. I wiped them off pretty well after my round, but I guess it wasn't enough. It turns out that I hate the way the rust looks. I'm more worried about the wedge itself. One person says it isn't a problem, another says it eats away at your wedges. If it eats away, I need to completely prevent this from happening! Does anyone else have any input on this. Can I leave the rust there, and not worry too much about preventing it, or does it need to come off? Thanks for any help.
If you want to stop any more rust rub it down with some WD-40. It'll take some of what's started off and protect what is wiped down from further rust.

Back