new workout...and added 60yds off the tee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno man, this sounds a little far fetched to me. I know that during the off-season (I play high school football) I actually lose a little distance from my workouts because I sacrifice a little flexibility for more power. And the thought of someone who is 5'6" consistently hitting it that far is dificult for me to grasp. I am short too, and if I absolutely tear at the ball I can really only get it out to 270-280, though 240-260 is more my comfort zone.

Gonna guess the forearm workout was just that.. A forearm workout. A couple come to mind. 1 is easy, just take a dumbbell and either do wrist curls where you just flex your wrist up or down. That winds up being a two-fold workout since you work the wrist and forearm. Another is just take a dumbbell and put both hands on the grip. Now spin it in your hands.

Lastly, you could do what Paul Casey did when he was young (insert innuendo here). Take a pipe, cylinder, whatever. Tie a rope in the middle of it, then hang a weight from it. Rotate the pipe until the weight is at the top, then unreel it just the same.

+1. I have done all of these workouts when I was in HS for baseball. I think these workouts are a fantastic idea for the golfer. WTG on the constructive post BTW.

Distance is more about flexibility and timing. Gaining strength in the legs and core will gain more distance than in the arms. Strong forearms do more to help you control the ball.

Sorry but I gotta call you on that one. We all know that distance is the results of legs and core strength. 4 weeks of working out your arms/forearms when you are already an experienced lifter with not add 17-20mph SS. Also, you already workout so it's not like your arms had atrophied and this workout brought new life to them. Since when do we swing with arms and forearms...if you do, you're not hitting 350 yards. LOL you're claiming DJ distance and he's one of the longest players on tour (with his height and long extremeties, whereas you're 5'6" and in your 40's).

Ever notice that TW's distance has gone to hell the more muscular he becomes?

Sorry but I gotta call you on that one. We all know that distance is the results of legs and core strength. 4 weeks of working out your arms/forearms when you are already an experienced lifter with not add 17-20mph SS. Also, you already workout so it's not like your arms had atrophied and this workout brought new life to them. Since when do we swing with arms and forearms...if you do, you're not hitting 350 yards. LOL you're claiming DJ distance and he's one of the longest players on tour (with his height and long extremeties, whereas you're 5'6" and in your 40's).

Bolded for awesomeness.

Not sure how I feel about this to be honest.. Seems sketchy hehe. If you consistently drive 300+ that puts you in very very rare company

Keeping all things the same, extra strength in the wrists and forearms would help one maintain one's wristcock longer before physics takes over and you can't hold it any longer. Tiger's problems aren't so much muscular, but just compensations in the swing. He's not a short hitter, despite what 2 measured holes a round might suggest at times.

there's no need to "call me out", i'm every bit as skeptical that a simple arm/forearm workout could add that kind of distance either. i'm simply putting my sudden increase in distance up for discussion so that i might gain some insight. 300yd drives are not new to me but it's not something i've been able to do consistently in many years, so this thread is not meant to be about my overall distance but about the gains. in that light, i'm not going to try to justify to the skeptics what i'm capable of off the tee.

bullfrog brought up hitting the sweet spot and i think that's a valid point. i absolutely believe that my new workout has not only increased strength but increased coordination...allowing me to connect in the sweet spot much more consistently. i also believe, as mward alluded to, that the added forearm strength allows me to lag the club a bit longer. this makes sense because even my slight off center hits are also going further. he's also correct on the basic workout routine. it's no secret...there really aren't many things you can do for forearms.

btw curt slice, yep...same chiromikey! what's your screen name over there?

The Belbs should look into this. He hits it 320, yet forearms like Paris Hilton. Imagine The Belbs at 380 off the tee.

Kevin

there's no need to "call me out", i'm every bit as skeptical that a simple arm/forearm workout could add that kind of distance either. i'm simply putting my sudden increase in distance up for discussion so that i might gain some insight. 300yd drives are not new to me but it's not something i've been able to do consistently in many years, so this thread is not meant to be about my overall distance but about the gains. in that light, i'm not going to try to justify to the skeptics what i'm capable of off the tee.

bullfrog brought up hitting the sweet spot and i think that's a valid point. i absolutely believe that my new workout has not only increased strength but increased coordination...allowing me to connect in the sweet spot much more consistently. i also believe, as mward alluded to, that the added forearm strength allows me to lag the club a bit longer. this makes sense because even my slight off center hits are also going further. he's also correct on the basic workout routine. it's no secret...there really aren't many things you can do for forearms.

I remember an interview with Stewart Cink years ago where he explained an event that helped him increase distance and accuracy. He was supposed to have a long rain delay, so he decided to hit the gym for a streneous work out. Under the timing of the rain delay, he would have had plenty of time to recoop. Unfortunately, the rain delay ended way early, leaving only roughly 15 mintues between the end of his workout and his tee time. He said that he had one of his best days on tour. He was hitting the ball further and straighter. I believe he suggested it was due to him "being looser" that allowed him to (1) lenghten his swing and (2) time the release much better, which in turn, allowed him to make contact with the ball at the apex of his swing speed. Of course, I don't think he was talking an increase in 60 yards, but perhaps this has to do with the added distance??? Are you working out prior to playing?

I just did a forearm workout. I can't swing a golf club. I need a smoke and a nap.

...Are you working out prior to playing?

no, my workouts are in the evenings after work and never on weekends while my golf takes place on weekends and ussually one morning during the week. i typically workout each body part twice per week hitting upper and lower arms on different days.

I haven't been on there in a few years and for the life of me I can't remember my screen name.. I had the record for the quickest fastest N/A clk55 I was friends with blackbenzz I did alot of work to his car that helped him set his F/I record I'll try to remember my screen name over there... Good to see you here and welcome to THP!

I haven't been on there in a few years and for the life of me I can't remember my screen name.. I had the record for the quickest fastest N/A clk55 I was friends with blackbenzz I did alot of work to his car that helped him set his F/I record I'll try to remember my screen name over there... Good to see you here and welcome to THP!
thanks for the warm welcome! mbworld (like most forums eventually do) has been inundated with riff raff! i miss a lot of the og's and ahmad is definitely one of them. please say hello to him for me if you still see him!

btw, just dropped a new motor in the e55 and will keep it tuned down to about 500whp for reliability...

I havent, but it might be because I dont have to work out cause Im naturally built like a greek god.

But congrats to you for the big bombs off the tee

haha dude that made me LOL

That's crazy distance gain. From one workout? I have to say I'm a bit skeptical.

me too Damaikis, have never heard of such a thing

Not trying to flame you but when you pick apart the thread it seems sketchy.

1. I can believe that if a skinny teenager started lifting weight, he might add 60 yards to his driver over the course of a summer. But we're talking about a full grown fully developed man...over the course of 4 weeks. I assure you not much muscle was grown over a whole 4 weeks.

2. You actually claimed that working out your arms and forearms has increased your coordination. Seriously? Coordination has nothing to do with physical strength so much as practice and repetition, to which you said you haven't hit the range at all.

3. Claiming that you added 60 yards of distance due to lag thanks to increased forearm strength. The OP mentioned NO extra practice or range time or anything other than normal playing. Increasing lag time to result in distance is a learned skill. You don't increase your lag time by lifting weights.

I'm not saying that you didn't increase your distance, I'm merely suggesting that you didn't increase your distance by ~23% (on average) and sometimes by 85 yards because of 4 weeks of working out.

Unless you are swinging just with your arms and no body turn I don't really think that arm strength is a big factor, more likely you are doing something else, maybe some stretching or something, that is causing a bigger turn and more distance. Or it may have just firmed up your grip some giving you cleaner contact on every hit.

ok...what in the world are you talking about? how did i pick apart the thread and what's sketchy about me looking for answers?

1. i have a decent foundation and knowledge about what works for my body so i'm quite certain a 4 week routine will benefit me more than a complete novice.

2. coordination has quite a bit to do with the process of working out as well as strength. the workout routine stimulates proprioceptive input while strength can give me much better control over the club during the swing.

3. i have learned how to create lag and having more forearm strength to return the club to square later in the down swing can definitely increase lag.

again, i'm looking for answers as much as anyone here. as of yet, i simply have no other way to explain my increase in distance.

Not trying to flame you but when you pick apart the thread it seems sketchy.

1. I can believe that if a skinny teenager started lifting weight, he might add 60 yards to his driver over the course of a summer. But we're talking about a full grown fully developed man...over the course of 4 weeks. I assure you not much muscle was grown over a whole 4 weeks.

2. You actually claimed that working out your arms and forearms has increased your coordination. Seriously? Coordination has nothing to do with physical strength so much as practice and repetition, to which you said you haven't hit the range at all.

3. Claiming that you added 60 yards of distance due to lag thanks to increased forearm strength. The OP mentioned NO extra practice or range time or anything other than normal playing. Increasing lag time to result in distance is a learned skill. You don't increase your lag time by lifting weights.

I'm not saying that you didn't increase your distance, I'm merely suggesting that you didn't increase your distance by ~23% (on average) and sometimes by 85 yards because of 4 weeks of working out.

Unless you are swinging just with your arms and no body turn I don't really think that arm strength is a big factor, more likely you are doing something else, maybe some stretching or something, that is causing a bigger turn and more distance. Or it may have just firmed up your grip some giving you cleaner contact on every hit.
idk, but i have noticed that my grip feels more stable. very good insight, thank you!

Distance comes from your core body strength more than arm strength. Thats what I work on primarily. Also do Golf - Body - Fitness. Flexibilty combined with core body strength = increased accuracy and distance.

It's the end of the season and I am hitting my driver and irons longer and more accurate than ever. I will be working on my core and flex all winter.

Chers

I work at a gym and have been a personal trainer for 6 years, if anyone ever has any questions about working out feel free to ask. I have done some sport specific training, and while adding some muscle CAN improve distance, I am still a firm believer in how proper stretching and working on your core muscles can improve the golf swing more than arm strength. Pilates and Yoga are great programs for golfers, they both help improve flexibility and coil in the golf swing. Working the core helps strengthen and stabilize the hips and lower body during the swing. Again, not trying to disprove that arm strength can add distance, but gains like that probably are not all coming from arm strength.

I believe that you believe everything you are saying is 100% true. No one is calling you a liar.

Can you describe how these distances are being measured?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back