The Trouble with Juiced up Simulators

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Spent some time at the local Golf Galaxy tonight. Decided to hit the former AP2 iron after seeing the 2016 release on THP today and saw some silly roll numbers. When I realized the numbers could get goofy I opted to start taking major cuts at the Ping i3 7 iron, and managed to get it past 200 yards a bunch of times. I also hit tight little fades (my shot shape is a draw) and watched AMart hit draws (his shot shape will ALWAYS be a fade).

f813a9b9b3d51440b730e184b48557c1.jpg

I just don't understand why these companies insist on making casual golfers ignorant towards their capabilities by cheating these monitors with high altitude, wind, and concrete ground (At least I assume that to be the case).

I often wonder to myself why so many think they are longer than they are, and this is a prime sample of why.

I only know this because of my time on Flightscope and Foresight HMT. There are different settings for greens and fairways. I also know that shot boost in the Foresight simulator is silly. It gave me a 340 carry. Something like that.

I just assumed they were Texas distances :)

Yeah this drives me crazy and 99% of the golfers going into these places to hit clubs know no better at all

This is the exact reason why I bring in a couple of clubs from my bag so I can get a comparison.

You mean I don't really hit my 7i 214?

One of my buddies that owns a proshop/driving range, told me to always take 1 or 2 of my clubs with me to compare with on the simulator at Dicks sporting goods.

Jack

This cost me a taylormade tour burner at dicks sporting goods several years back. Straight bombs on the monitor, everywhere but in the fairway on the course. I hit a demo XR pro 7 iron there a few weeks ago and was getting 15 yards of roll added on every shot.

Dan hit a fade???

Its pretty crazy that not only was it juiced up but it couldn't even get ball flight and shot shape correct.

Yeah, I especially enjoy the 11 yards of roll with a descent angle of 42. The last time my 7 iron bounced like that, it hit a sprinkler head beside the green.

Yeah, I especially enjoy the 11 yards of roll with a descent angle of 42. The last time my 7 iron bounced like that, it hit a sprinkler head beside the green.

must have hit the cart path

I honestly feel like I never get a juiced monitor..... more to the fact I get a monitor that is the exact opposite.... a de-juicing.

I would love to get on a monitor and have it just be crazy juiced, just for the entertainment factor itself. I can see where it could be an issue, perhaps influencing a club purchase when it really shouldn't be warranted.

I just assumed they were Texas distances :)

Yeah this drives me crazy and 99% of the golfers going into these places to hit clubs know no better at all
Well, a few times at Golfsmith I did hit some 3/4 Gap wedges over 195 yards. Think the height was about 70 yards. One of the simulators had a habit of starting at a boost of 200% unless someone checked it when they turned it on in the morning. Or it could just because it is in Texas.

I honestly feel like I never get a juiced monitor..... more to the fact I get a monitor that is the exact opposite.... a de-juicing.

I would love to get on a monitor and have it just be crazy juiced, just for the entertainment factor itself. I can see where it could be an issue, perhaps influencing a club purchase when it really shouldn't be warranted.

It can be pretty fun to try and get the number as high as you possibly can, even though you know they're not real.

Time for Club Clash!

I've always brought my club in as a baseline to their monitors. If they say I carry my driver 310 carry, and then the new club 319 carry, I know we have something to work with and then go from there.

It sucks the consumers have to even do this kinda stuff but that's what the big box stores have sometimes resorted to. Also of note: don't do business with those places!

Those monitors are not true simulators. You need to set the computer for the club you're using. I had one at the PGA tour store set to driver and had a wedge releasing 15-20 yards. It calculates and guesses some stats.

You have to waggle up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right and then swing. :wink:

The DSG closest to me has the exact opposite problem. Last time I went in there every drive was 160-170 no matter what, even when my twin 9 year olds teed up 3 woods it still showed the same yardage.

That's why I always get clubs fit at a range where I can see ball flight/distance and if there's a monitor in use, there's a frame of reference.

You have to waggle up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right and then swing. :wink:

You're awesome.

The DSG closest to me has the exact opposite problem. Last time I went in there every drive was 160-170 no matter what, even when my twin 9 year olds teed up 3 woods it still showed the same yardage.

Don't hate on their talent. :act-up:

You gotta be careful of those monitors b/c the other day when I went to Golfsmith to hit the Cobra FlyZ+ driver, the guy working there showed me how some knuckleheads boost up the monitor and hitting drives well over 300 yds w/ their jacked up swings. I think too watch what golf balls you guys are hitting in these simulators. I'm not sure what golf balls I was hitting when hitting the FlyZ+ driver, but I was hitting some drives that had me saying.....HOLY SH*T!! Maybe I should go buy some of those Srixons I was hitting into the net as well......ha

That's why I always get clubs fit at a range where I can see ball flight/distance and if there's a monitor in use, there's a frame of reference.

It's the absolute best way to get reasonable feedback, I agree.

It's just a shame there isn't any sort of balancing done on these machines to make sure people aren't being fooled.

I did this about a month ago. Problem is I'm having problems tracking white balls in bright daylight so I only saw maybe 10% of the balls I hit. :banghead:

I once had a store sim say I was hitting a six iron 240 yards.

It's funny you mentioned shot shape. I hit right to left typically, but last time I tried one of these everything was the other way. I thought it might have been the low tee height forcing me to change my driver swing a little to make better contact, but now I wonder if it could have just been wrong.

Either way I don't like to buy a new club without being able to hit it outside and see the ballflight first.

Those monitors are not true simulators. You need to set the computer for the club you're using. I had one at the PGA tour store set to driver and had a wedge releasing 15-20 yards. It calculates and guesses some stats.
You must've skulled it, haha.

Back