All-Time Go-To Club No Longer in Bag

TheWoo

Reaction score
Handicap
0.3 GHIN
If you think back through your entire career, what club is no longer in your bag that you'd take back in a second if you could?

For me, there's not even a hesitation: my Ping Zing sand wedge. I could hit that thing for ANY shot inside 115. I had no idea how good it was. Pitches, run-out chips, biting chips, flops, bunker, full shots, high shots, knock downs. None of it mattered.

That club won me some high school golf tourneys. I wish I'd realized how good it was when I sold it with the entire set...

Shanked with my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

my milled teardrop putter, circa 1997. I was money with that thing lol

My Adams Idea Pro Hybrid. I traded it in to get a new hybrid... didn't work out too well.

I had a Taylor Made Raylor for a while that I used instead of a 3 wood. It had rails on the bottom to help it slide through rough (similar to a Cleveland Mashie these days) and its already heavy head was attached to a near driver length steel shaft. The swingweight was ridiculous but when I flushed it, it was filthy long, and low. Not nearly as universally awesome as your Ping wedge but I did love that Raylor.

probably my old driver (before i started getting above 105mph SS). i could just rip that thing a mile dead straight.. it just got to the point where even when i tried to swing suuuuper smoooooth it just whipped way too much.. but i'm liking the new one, and once i can get used to the extra weight, i'm sure i'll be doing just the same, if not better..

I had a Taylor Made Raylor for a while that I used instead of a 3 wood. It had rails on the bottom to help it slide through rough (similar to a Cleveland Mashie these days) and its already heavy head was attached to a near driver length steel shaft. The swingweight was ridiculous but when I flushed it, it was filthy long, and low. Not nearly as universally awesome as your Ping wedge but I did love that Raylor.

I have a TaylorMade Retro Raylor 5 wood, it took me a while to hit it, but, my goodness, when you hit it right, it just goes, and goes!
It does have a small head, I guess that is one reason it is harder to hit. I got it on Ebay for 35 bucks.

None....the weapons in my bag are the finest in all the land, sea and air !

Oh wait....there was that mystery 4 wood I had 15 years ago that I could just kill.
It was the last of the true "woods" that I had and was really heavy.
I could hit that thing a mile if needed or feather a shot in to the green if I wanted.
Dang thing split on me one day while hitting to a 200+ yard par 3.
It was a no name brand, so I can't remember it.....but I do miss it.

Big Bertha War Bird 10*. I could murder that thing off the fairway or the tee.

My old Infinity 7 wood with a steel shaft. Just couldn't miss with that club and hit it long.

07 Burner Driver....was long and straight

2005 TaylorMade Rescue Mid 3h. It's not in the bag right now, but it is sitting next to it.

Ping zing 8i. Money for me from 150 and in. Loved how I felt over the ball with his club.

Ben Hogan 5w, could hit that club a mile and arrow straight, was my pre-rescue club rescue club, now replaced with the equally awesome but more versatile Mashie M2

#3, #5 & #6 TaylorMade Rescue hybrids. I'm loving the Adams I have now in calmer weather, but against any wind at all or out of the deeper rough the rescues were just unbeatable.

My 2 iron. Stopped using a 2 iron about 10 years ago. I could hit that 245 yards accurately. Lately been using my 4 iron more than the hybrid. Hitting the 4i 200 - 210. Thinking about bringing the 2i back to the range for kicks.

I had a Taylormade Rescue with a Aldila NV shaft that was my go to club, broke it earlier this year and haven't found a replacement yet!!!

When I first started out....
Wilson 1200LT 4 iron, circa 1993. I could do nothing but hit this thing right down the middle. I hit it so much, after a while, it had a slight bend in the shaft down by the hosel.

The other was an old T-Line by PGA putter that was money. It got snatched from me for some reason.

Last edited:
I had a Bob Mann driver with a stiff shaft that I just killed. Yep, Bob Mann. I snapped the shaft at a golf school in Florida, and was never able to find a shaft that worked. I also had the 3W, 5W and 7W. I used that 7W for years!!!! The 3 and 5 made their way out of the bag after a few years.

My old Hogan 3w that I used a lot in the 80's, and lately I've been missing the Tity 905s/graf blue that I traded in last year.

Big Bertha Heavenwood (7W) that thing was unreal...was the most reliable long club i've ever owned...was the club that sank my second shot on my albatross!!

Back