dhjkelly

BOO
Reaction score
Handicap
the big question here is whats your driving range routine????

i always start by doing a nice gentle warm up with my PW not actually hitting, then moving onto hitting about 5 balls. i have a few different routines i like to do.

first one would be to work on anything i'm struggling with, hitting 5-10 balls trying to see where i'm going wrong.

my favorite routine is 9 holes. you play a par 3, 4, 5 from a course you usually play. par 3 hit a mid iron to a target, if its good move onto the par 4 if its bad hit a wedge to a target about 40-50 yards. par 4 hit your drive and if it good then hit a short iron and if its a poor drive then hit a long iron or wood. same idea for the par 5 and repeat the same routine 3 times to make 9 holes. i find this keeps me in the right mind frame for when i'm on course.

next one is to play "up down left right" with my wedges. pick a target then try to go "up" straight over the target. "down" just in front of the target. "left" "right" is either side of the target. 2 balls used at each.

lastly is the putting green where i play "2 putt par" basically trying to 2 putt from anywhere on the green.

I am probably a bit obsessed with my range sessions :bulgy-eyes:

If and when I go to the range, I normally start with wedges and work my way through the bag with maybe 15/20 shots with each club.

the big question here is whats your driving range routine????

i always start by doing a nice gentle warm up with my PW not actually hitting, then moving onto hitting about 5 balls. i have a few different routines i like to do.

first one would be to work on anything i'm struggling with, hitting 5-10 balls trying to see where i'm going wrong.

my favorite routine is 9 holes. you play a par 3, 4, 5 from a course you usually play. par 3 hit a mid iron to a target, if its good move onto the par 4 if its bad hit a wedge to a target about 40-50 yards. par 4 hit your drive and if it good then hit a short iron and if its a poor drive then hit a long iron or wood. same idea for the par 5 and repeat the same routine 3 times to make 9 holes. i find this keeps me in the right mind frame for when i'm on course.

next one is to play "up down left right" with my wedges. pick a target then try to go "up" straight over the target. "down" just in front of the target. "left" "right" is either side of the target. 2 balls used at each.

lastly is the putting green where i play "2 putt par" basically trying to 2 putt from anywhere on the green.

I am probably a bit obsessed with my range sessions :bulgy-eyes:

I have the same par 3, 4, and 5 routine. It translates to the course very well for me.

For my range routine I like to take a gap wedge or so and hit about half shots with it and hit towards a target to get a feel for the distance. Then I move up through my irons. I really like the routine of trying to hit a draw then a fade with each club and going through your line up of clubs. May help you see how you are swinging that day and what your tendency will be.

For me its just to loosen up my muscles, I should spend more time stretching and chipping/putting then hitting full shots.

First thing I do is about a one minute stretching routine. Just enough to get any stiffness out (that's what she said*). Next, I hit anywhere from 6-12 balls with a 7 iron. I'm not aiming, I'm not swinging hard, I'm just loosening up some more. From there, its all pre-shot routine and solid practice. I start each shot with my pre-shot routine, and each shot is to a different target. Irons I hit vary based on how I've been hitting any particular range of irons. Recently, I'm spending a little more time on long irons because I've developed a fade with them.

Full Iron shots make up about 40% of the bucket. Then, 30% of the bucket is spend on nothing but pitch shots with my PW and 56* wedge. 10% is spend on driver, unless I'm having issues with the driver, then it's more. Finally, the last dozen or so balls is spent on 'simulated' Par 7. What's that mean? It means I have to hit a good driver shot, then a good long iron, then a good mid iron (usually 7 iron), a good wedge, and then a good pitch. If I don't hit a good shot, I try again with that club. If I run out of balls, then I have to go and get another bucket. If I finish with balls remaining, I hit the last remaining shots as pitch shots.

Then I goto the practice green, spend about 50% green side chipping, 50% putting. I do a lot of long distance lag putting trying to make everything in two putts. I always end with my 'around the world drill.' 3 balls in line, about 15", 30", and 45" out. Make all 3 in a row, then line them up elsewhere around the cup. I have to make 10 in a row before I can leave, and usually I go for more than that.

*Note, I have no idea why I wrote that in. It just came out. That's what she said! Oh man, I did it again!

I do the opposite of most I guess. I putt for a while then hit a few pitch shots before heading to the range. There I start with the three iron about 70 percent, then full and hit maybe 10-12 balls with the three. The timing and tempo have to be good to hit a three and that carries over to the rest of the clubs. After the tempo feels good, I will hit a middle iron a few balls, maybe 5 then a short iron 2 or 3 balls. Then a one or two balls with the five wood and about six with the driver for a total of all clubs maybe 20-25 balls. Sometimes I skip the range altogether, just putt and pitch a few then head to the first tee. Hey, when you get into your sixties you won't want to waste too many on the range either. I spend a lot more time putting than on the range before playing.

I stretch a little to get loose and then hit a few balls with my 51º wedge. I then go to my 8 iron and then 6 iron and then 4. I hit a few hybrid shots and then round it out with 3w and driver shots. After that run through the bag, I will work on whatever I am having trouble with at the moment. If everything is smooth sailing, I will work on hitting cuts and draws with my irons, hybrid and 3 wood.

Chipping green is different. I always ALWAYS hit out of the sand even if it is just 10 balls. I am very much a feel player when it comes to short game and I don't use distances inside of 60 yards. I practice chip and run/bump and run shots with my GW and 9 iron, lofting the ball up and letting it land soft with my 60º, hitting a spot on the green and letting it roll to the pin with my 55º and I also practice the open the face all the way flop (it comes in very handy when you really need it if you can pull it off and you can if you practice it).

Putting is mainly reading the greens (I play almost exclusively on Bermuda, so reading grain is essential), getting speed right, and most importantly getting my posture/stroke right.

I do all this while listening to music on my iPhone.

So far, and I'm just starting out, I get set up at the range and do some limbering stretches. Then i start with PW, 12 shots with half swings. Then I try to do 10 balls each for every club in my bag, starting again with the PW. Its fun until I get to my 5i and then I really start struggling. I hack away with my 5i and 4i until im ready for some driver action. Hack away there a bit then return to my PW or GW to remember what good contact feels like. I like the 3,4,5 par idea. I'll start incorporating that once I'm decent.

I guess it depends on if I am hitting the range before a round or if it is a standalone range session.

Before a round - I typically hit about 35 balls total. I start with a wedge and work my way up from there. I typically end on hitting driver, trying to picture the first hole and hit it in the fairway. This usually gives me confidence on the first tee which can carry over to the rest of the round. I then hit the practice green to get in some putts and chips. Mostly working on the speed of the green, not necessarily the line. I typically don't hit the sand right before a round but that will probably change.

Standalone session - I typically hit anywhere from 70-100 balls depending on the day, sometimes more but not too often. Again, I start with a wedge and work my way up through the bag. Unless I am working on something specific, I do a little different Par 3, 4, 5 than others have posted. I get out a scorecard and play the course so to speak. I count my shots and just assume I two putt everything, I record my score and compare to other range sessions. It's not entirely accurate but it is a fun way to practice instead of just beating balls. Then I go to the practice green and work on chipping and putting.

Fun to hear other people's routines and I may have to borrow some ideas.

I guess it depends on if I am hitting the range before a round or if it is a standalone range session.

Before a round - I typically hit about 35 balls total. I start with a wedge and work my way up from there. I typically end on hitting driver, trying to picture the first hole and hit it in the fairway. This usually gives me confidence on the first tee which can carry over to the rest of the round. I then hit the practice green to get in some putts and chips. Mostly working on the speed of the green, not necessarily the line. I typically don't hit the sand right before a round but that will probably change.

Standalone session - I typically hit anywhere from 70-100 balls depending on the day, sometimes more but not too often. Again, I start with a wedge and work my way up through the bag. Unless I am working on something specific, I do a little different Par 3, 4, 5 than others have posted. I get out a scorecard and play the course so to speak. I count my shots and just assume I two putt everything, I record my score and compare to other range sessions. It's not entirely accurate but it is a fun way to practice instead of just beating balls. Then I go to the practice green and work on chipping and putting.

Fun to hear other people's routines and I may have to borrow some ideas.

ya i was kinda hoping this thread would help people get a few new ideas for the range

Back