• 3 or more

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

Michigan Slice

This Guy Cant dance...
Reaction score
Handicap
Simple.
Do you play in a golf league? If so, how many?
Do you prefer a particular format over another?
What is the best/worst thing about league play?

Myself, Last year I played in one league. This year considering playing in 3.
The league last year was a handicapped team league with an "a" and a "b" golfer.

This year, I will be playing in that same league (Fri night), and this year I am considering playing in another team league.(Wednesday night), and a league where there are no teams but is also handicapped. (Tuesday night).
For me, the best thing about league play is of course getting out to play,and making friends, Ive also improved my game each year/ the worst is sometimes Friday night games hustling back to my sons high school football games,

I dont play in a league. Its just becaue I work nights and simply have never found a league that fits into my schedule. If I worked days, Id play in a league because it would be a lot of fun and it would be a great way to get out, be social and maybe make some new friends.

Never have, but have thought about it the last few years. However I really want to work on my game this year more than ever before, so Im probably better off using that time away to practice

Subbed once when I was at my old club. Never really was interested in doing it full time.

I'd really like to play in a league some day. This season probably won't work for me as far as my schedule is concerned, though.

I may do it this year. I called to sign up a week or two ago and was put off by the fact that the signup basically pays for GHIN and I just signed up for the THP handicap service and they won't let me use it.

I dont. I simply could not commit to any specific time on a reguaarl basis.

I play in an individual league. Play 7 matches over 4 months.

Going to join my home course this year as well as the mens league, just seems like fun and would be good for me.

I play in a men's group but not a league.

In 2012 and 2013 I played in two leagues. One was individual and one was two-man teams, both individual handicapped match play for points (hole-by-hole and total).

This year I plan on playing in only one. Two per week was too demanding on my work, softball, and golf practice schedule.

What I liked? It forced me to get out there twice a week and smack the ball around. The guys are mostly awesome and I have as much fun hanging out after the round than during.

What I don't like? Cost. One is $350 for the year, and the other is $475 for the year. And if I have to go out of town, no make ups. That's a lot of coin for a commitment I might have no control over keeping.

I haven't played in one for a few years, but plan to this year. Assuming I can find a partner that is.

I chose 1, because I have played in 1 the last 2 years. But this year I am probably not going to do it. My work status is likely changing sometime this golf season and when that happens I won't be able to maintain the commitment to a time slot for a league.

It's going to be interesting to see how this affects my golf time. My wife has said I should maintain playing once a week. But if I cannot get on the course on weekday later afternoons, I can't see how I'll manage that. Weekends are too full in this family.

One league for me. Handicapped Match play, handicaps are established for each 9 holes on the first two weeks.

I enjoy it, it gives me a bit of competition and a release during the week. I usually try to get there an hour or two early and play the opposite 9 we are playing before, so I turn it into an 18 hole day.

I play in a skins game they play 3 time a week. The group is called The Loose Impediments. Red

I really wish I could play in the local league at my course, but do to my schedule I can't. They have it every Wed. night and I can't be there EVERY Wed. It's a great format and everything plays because it's handicap based. Maybe someday.

I sometimes sub. Usually when it's sub night, when they get extra points for having a sub show up.

I wish I could but I can't commit to playing at a certain time due to my work schedule.

I guess this would be considered a league, but every Tuesday, during the summer hours, we have a group get together for a four-man scramble competition on 9 holes. Small money stakes ($7 per person), but it is a lot of fun. Usually have crowds from 20-36 people and then have a big dinner at the end of the season. All players have an A, B, C, or D rating and teams are paired based on that.

I usually play in a couple depending on how many people are interested, one is much more organized, but is at night and 9 holes, the other is on Saturday mornings but is a full round. Both are enjoyable.

Yep. I play on an indoor league in the winter and a Monday night league.

It's a different setup in that everyone has handicaps and it's basically matchplay. You get points for low total and winning the most holes. It's a lot of fun and i get to golf at least once a week.

I participate in a league that started out being run for retirees from AT&T but now welcomes anyone who wants to join. It's mostly men but there are a few women as well.

Format is 9-hole team match play once a week (Monday or Thursday) and runs from early April through mid-August. They maintain a handicap for you (not official) and use a somewhat complex scoring system which takes into account both the total strokes, your league handicap and the match play hole-by-hole results. There are weekly prizes for closest to the pin too. It's run very well.

http://www.connecticuttelso.com/golf-leagues---2014-information.html

I've met a lot of great people playing in this league and it's helped motivate me to keep working on my game. This year my wife signed up for their beginners league!

The only downside is that I just wish I had more time to participate.

Ken

I'm joining my first league this year, it is a stableford league so that should be interesting. I ran the men's league when I worked on course and it was always a point of conversation, so I am looking forward to playing in one. The biggest arguments I ever had were dealing with handicaps in the league.

Hopefully getting to play in my first league this year. Playing with a friend who hits a much longer ball than I, and the course is the longest in the area. Will be very very challenging for me.

Just waiting on the call back, to make sure we have a spot.

Unfortunately my home course doesn't offer leagues....I have tried talking to the owner and staff....but no such luck.

Back