What would you rather be able to do in golf.

What would you rather be able to do in golf.

• Hit driver over 300 yards

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Hit over 50% GIR

Votes: 60 64.5%
  • Hit over 50% Fairways

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get up and down over 50%

Votes: 29 31.2%

• Total voters
50% GIR. Unless I was the edge of a crazy green from 50+ feet every time, I would like my chances at lots of 1 and 2 putts. which would mean 9 birdies or pars. Just wonder what I would do on those other 9 holes? Lol. My old tendency and devil on my one shoulder is to say blow up and score the same, but my Bob Rotella angel on my other shoulder says it is time to go low.

See above. Im not trying to impress, but do the others already.

Yeah, I saw yours before I posted mine. I think you're an exception to the rule as most people don't have their game in the shape that you do.

I went with up and down over 50%. A was not even a consideration. I already hit 50% fairways on most days. I almost went with 50% GIR, but I already get around 30-35%, so I'm not far off that. However, my scramble percentage is MUCH lower than 50%, so that would save me a boatload of strokes.

Ill take the GIR's thank you.

B all day!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GIR for sure

50% GIR without a doubt.

B or D....I went with D though as that is probably what would help my game the most. I've had days where I hit at least half the greens, but never seem to get up and down quite as often. Hitting the ball 300 yards would be fun, but if I didn't convert, it seems like a waste.

B all day long. C is implied for me getting to B I think. Runner up is D for me.

I'm with you on this one. I already hit half of my GIR, so if I could hit my driver that far I would likely be able to greatly increase the percentage of everything else.

A would improve GIR usually, and since the game moved to POWER in the past decade, hitting fairways is a lost art, unless you are a short hitter, the bombers are barely over 50% now and back in the day, most pros hit way more fairways.

As your GIR goes up, and as your distance off the tee increases, your proximity to the hole goes down usually, so 300+ is the way to go low today with long courses. You must have decent GIR which over 66% is very good, over 50% is low for a decent player.

So most decent players should be well over 50% GIR right now, and they may be close to 50% in UP/Down, but being 300+ even in light rough is how you GO LOW, so to a high handicapper 50% GIR sounds great, to a low handicapper 50% GIR is low, but 300+ driver is huge advantage to GO LOW.

To get near sratch you need over 50% GIR. To get near the tour, you got to be close to 300 yards today, sure a few hit it a little less, but the big boys now fly it 300 yards most of the time in the air with 120mph swing speeds.

When you are that close to the hole, everything else gets easy, GIR will since you have short irons or wedges all day.

If you hit a driver 300+ yards you hit a wedge 150. So driver wedge all day on 450+ yard par 4's, that's the game you have if you can bomb it off the tee.

Most players 300+ yards as long if it's imbounds can hit well over 50% of the greens that close to greens off the tee.

A person that hits it 225 yards hits a wedge 100 if they're lucky usually. So distance off tee means distance in all clubs and learning to control a 300+ yard shot is easier IMO than learning to go from 225 yards to 300+ yards.

D. Up & down 50%

Yeah, I saw yours before I posted mine. I think you're an exception to the rule as most people don't have their game in the shape that you do.

JB is a total feel player and has a great short game. When we would play together I would out drive him from the ladies tees, not a huge deal but it was still fun to see my ball further. But then he would crush me with his short game. Watch him do a flop shot, it's fun!

I would have rather hit greens every time out.

B.....over 50% GIR's....easy.

GIR all the way, that way I've got more than 50% of my putts for birdie!

Most definitely GIRs

I picked A. That whole drive for show part.

What would help me the most? GIR's

GIR, it's simply the most important thing in golf. You can't have a lot of bogeys if you hit the greens... unless you putt like me :)

GIR without a doubt!! That mean I'm putting for birdie at least half of the time with a 2 putt for par. With over 300 yard drives, it takes driver out of the bag on a lot of holes anyway due to the length, fairways are nice, but they help with the GIR stat, and up and down means you aren't hitting the green in the first place. Now your chipping for birdie instead of putting. Looks like statistics are in agreement as well. Good poll though.

GIRs for me. Personally, I think it's an indication of best command of your game. If my game stepped up to where even 50 % of the time I could pick the right club for the lie and conditions and make a smooth swing to drop the ball on the green, I think it would go a long way toward increasing the confidence in my rest of my game.

GIR all day every day. My driving distance isn't my issue and I am confident getting up and down from a lot of places and lies.

I think if you ask a person with a higher handicap, a 7 or more, they say GIR.

If you ask a lower handicap person, if they do not bomb it already, they probably do the rest now, over 50% GIR, hit most of fairways and can scramble that is why they are a low HC.

You ask a scratch who hits it 270 if he will take over 30 yards more, sure, he'll be 3 clubs closer on all shots into greens.

A lower HC is over 50%+ GIR. (under a 7 or so).

To miss around 50% of the greens, you need to scramble to have a decent HC index.

Length, especially the 300+ yard type of lenght is something a scratch golfer looking to get to a plus 5 wants.

GIR is a solid answer though, but it's a low GIR for a low HC index.

Anyone in low single digits already has a GIR over 50%, they want 65% or better.

300 Yard drivers, very very few people have that in the bag, your swing speed is close to 120MPH to have that.

Tour average is 115 or so.

So while a bomber might be wild, a bomber that keeps it in play will have a decent GIR even if he can't hit fairways, since once you are 300+ off the tee you are wedges all day into greens. Even a wedge from rough to the green is still a wedge.

Proximity to the hole and GIR gets better the closer you are to the hole off the tee, that's a fact.

But GIR over 50% is a sound choice.

I chose 50% scrambling because I feel like thats the best way to maintain a good round. Bogeys are momentum killers and I would love to be much better at saving par when I miss a green.

I already have "D", am close from green side on "C", and "A" is never going to happen at my age. But "B" is within my grasp, and would help my game greatly.

Back