TaylorMade RocketBladez - Review Thread

That's my feeling it sounds different but I don't dislike it. I know you say the sound is feel but I don't know how to equate that in these irons. I like the feel but I don't necessarily like the sound. I don't know if any of this even makes sense haha

TapaTalk from the iPhone
It makes sense to me dude. No worries.

I've clawed to try and find something that really stands out as glaring to me about these and just haven't yet. But at the same time I feel like something is missing for me personally. I'm insane.

The sound isn't particularly offensive to me, so I don't really pay it any mind at this point, but I definitely get it.

I like the sound it is good feed back for me to know i got it flush

It makes sense to me dude. No worries.

I've clawed to try and find something that really stands out as glaring to me about these and just haven't yet. But at the same time I feel like something is missing for me personally. I'm insane.

I think previously you were hitting irons that you loved so much that its hard for you to want to stray from them. I assume youll go back to the i20s after testing, and there is nothing wrong with that

I agree with you guys, the sound while right at first was a bit different than what I've been playing for most of my life I can't say I minded it at all. In fact I have come to like that sound of a solidly struck shot with these, that slightly higher pitch sound I get when I hit one on the screws is addicting because I know I have hit it flush. Nothing feels like a flushed iron shot...these irons or any for that matter.

I think previously you were hitting irons that you loved so much that its hard for you to want to stray from them. I assume youll go back to the i20s after testing, and there is nothing wrong with that
I honestly don't know at this point. I prefer the scoring irons in the i20's, I'll admit that, but the 5i/6i in the Bladez are just plain stupid for me. I mean stupid long and easy.

I agree with you guys, the sound while right at first was a bit different than what I've been playing for most of my life I can't say I minded it at all. In fact I have come to like that sound of a solidly struck shot with these, that slightly higher pitch sound I get when I hit one on the screws is addicting because I know I have hit it flush. Nothing feels like a flushed iron shot...these irons or any for that matter.

This kind of talk makes me want to go hit golf balls.

I honestly don't know at this point. I prefer the scoring irons in the i20's, I'll admit that, but the 5i/6i in the Bladez are just plain stupid for me. I mean stupid long and easy.

I agree with the 5/6 iron. They are not only long, but they fly so freaking high. I am confident I can hold greens fairly easily with these things

I actually quite like the sound in the longer irons (when struck properly) and even the shorter irons sound different in some way (as I mentioned in my last post). I've grown to really like the sound of these vs. past Irons I've played.

For the testers (and others who have these irons) what is one thing that you would change to improve your irons after testing them for a little while now??

My answer would be the cavity in the back, why not fill that with polymer as well to prevent dirt from collecting in there? It's a pain to clean out as it is so narrow.

I know dude. I'll sit here at work and think about it and just get consumed with the thought of hitting golf balls.

I'll play my after school round for you two today then. 49* and only 5mph winds. It'll be on.

I actually quite like the sound in the longer irons (when struck properly) and even the shorter irons sound different in some way (as I mentioned in my last post). I've grown to really like the sound of these vs. past Irons I've played.

For the testers (and others who have these irons) what is one thing that you would change to improve your irons after testing them for a little while now??

My answer would be the cavity in the back, why not fill that with polymer as well to prevent dirt from collecting in there? It's a pain to clean out as it is so narrow.

Nothing much really. Maybe some aesthetic changes, but they do what they are supposed to do quite well.

I know dude. I'll sit here at work and think about it and just get consumed with the thought of hitting golf balls.

I've gone to sleep the last few nights hitting golf balls in my head lol. We're sick.

I'll play my after school round for you two today then. 49* and only 5mph winds. It'll be on.

I finally found the greatness that is the heated driving range. Been there for 2 days straight and probably will today after work and before class as well

Jman - hit em well!

Good question dude. I'd love to work these babies over with a lower launching shaft like a C-Taper or something. Well either that or I'd fix my iron swing to stop hitting the ball so bloody high. That's the issue more so than the shaft or the iron to be honest. It's on my list EARLY this year, check up with the pro to get trajectory down!

YES!!! Temps are coming up slowly but surely, still some snow on the ground though. There's an end in sight at least!!

Ok I've had a bit more time to bond with these now so I can give a bit of 'early days' feedback.

Firstly, a bit about me. I've only been playing since May last year. I've been having a lot of lessons with Mizuno MX-19s, second hand clubs from my cousin's shop. I'm 6'3" tall and the clubs were a bit small for me. I therefore got fitted for the Rocketbladez once I had developed a consistent and solid enough swing. I was also fitted with a stiff shaft unlike the regular flex Mizunos. I've joined a local golf club, handed in my handicap cards and been given a handicap of 16. One of my cards was my best round of 87 with the others being 91 and 97. I tend to score low 90s so that handicap might be slightly on the low side.

As a result of learning with shorter clubs, I've therefore had a bit of adjustment to get used to with the Rocketbladez with more length and adjusted lie angle. My last two visits to the range have been particularly enjoyable apart from Monday when my Ping G20 driver shaft snapped during my swing, the second driver I've had it happen with in my short golfing career! :-(

I've always been most consistent 7-PW and struggled greatly with anything longer. With the Rocketbladez however, I'm hitting longer irons a long way and very consistently. The sound of the pop with the slotted irons is so addictive. I could sense people nearby were wondering what I was hitting with but I couldn't get enough of it, especially when you look up and see the ball soaring through the air dead straight time after time.

I love the look of the clubs as well, however my opinion of this is certainly less valid than more experienced players as these are only the second set I've hit.

So far I've only used them twice on the course and both occasions have been prior to me having a 'breakthrough' with them this week. The first of these rounds was poor in a competition and I shouldn't have used them as I had barely had any practice. The second was a mixed bag. What is worthy of mention though is that I tied my best score of 87 on a very frosty and bouncy course. I put this down to me getting much more distance compared to my old Mizunos. This isn't that surprising though as they were around 4-5 years old. The Rocketbladez are at least 1.5 to 2 clubs longer though so I'm hitting more shots with clubs I am more comfortable with. I can't wait to give them a good go on a nice dry course now. However, with the snow forecast in Cheshire, England this weekend and the inevitable rain that will follow, I think I'll have to wait patiently!

Overall I couldn't be happier with the clubs and I can only see my opinion of them improving as I get more and more used to them. Happy to answer any questions that you feel a beginner like me will be able to answer.

Great post and I'm glad to hear you're finding success with the irons. Appreciate the feedback!

Great writeup and welcome to the forum, Hinchyoooo! I'm glad you enjoy the clubs...playing to a 16 after 8 months at this game is very impressive. Well done. I look forward to reading more about your thoughts as you continue to play the Bladez.

Great writeup and welcome to the forum, Hinchyoooo! I'm glad you enjoy the clubs...playing to a 16 after 8 months at this game is very impressive. Well done. I look forward to reading more about your thoughts as you continue to play the Bladez.

Thank you. I've been putting the hours in to learn the game properly and have just been completely absorbed by it since I started. Annoyed at myself for not having taken the game up earlier in life!

Really good post with some great info.

Good info Hinchyooo and welcome to the forum! Glad to hear you are enjoying your new Rocketbladez, and sorry to hear about your driver snapping! Might want to get fitted for that next! Best of luck
Cheers!

Great post and welcome to the forum. How would you compare the ball flight of the rocketbladez and your old mizzys? Higher? More/less ballooning? Dispersion?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

@ Stevie - what is your swing speed?

I used to be around 110-112, but now I'm round 105-107. I'm 6'3, so I don't really have to try to generate speed, rather I have focused on staying under control. The drop in speed is from what I label as a 'controlled swing' where I feel like I'm letting off a bit...basically the 80-90% swing. It tends to lead to a slight fade, but it's controllable and consistent.

Good question dude. I'd love to work these babies over with a lower launching shaft like a C-Taper or something. Well either that or I'd fix my iron swing to stop hitting the ball so bloody high. That's the issue more so than the shaft or the iron to be honest. It's on my list EARLY this year, check up with the pro to get trajectory down!

It seems with these low launch is a relative term i put x100 on my irons and they still launch extremly high

Back