The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every range session has been great since my new additions. Next season looks bright already!! The only problem now is guessing how far each club is going. This cold weather you lose quite a bit of yardage. That being said even now I have gained around 1 club difference.

It was warm enough for the range to be open today. I hit a large bucket and like the progress I'm seeing. I just focused on a straight back take away, getting both arms extended with my right elbow over left, club straight up in the air. From there I'm working on getting the club behind me and parallel to the target.

I really liked what I was seeing and was hitting some very nice shots. Of course, it wasn't all perfect. It's gonna take a while before I groove this because I've been so flat and laid off for so long.

Lessons will continue, which will happen regardless of progress for the next year.

Taps away

I love it when the weather is a little off because all the fair weather guys stay home. I had the place to myself today.

On the putting green I did lag drills, a drill to help make sure I get it to the hole and a scoring game.

On the chipping/putting green I played my "up and down" game, hitting chips with one ball from assorted locations to assorted holes and putting out, with the goal of never taking more the 3 to hole out.

At the short game area I worked on Pelz (yikes, I've got work to do here).

Then I walked out to the 18th fairway and hit approach shots, as a means of dialing in iron distances . This was the highlight of the session. I placed a ball at 10 yard increments from @ 100 to 170 and only missing the green once, which is very good for me.

Last edited:
Practiced and tested for an 90 minutes today.

Probably should have stopped at an hour, but I was feeling pretty good. Seeing some little improvements already from earlier in the week. Baby steps though. I'm in no big hurry.

Just hit into a net for a half hour with a 6 iron. Every shot I bit felt great. But..... nets can be deceiving

Just got back from practicing driver on the range, and putting. Putting is getting better, and I'm getting my confidence back!

Gotten warmer that I am comfortable getting out to the garage to work on things again. Really nice having the mat to hit off of. Spending time working on what we've been covering on my lessons and trying to keep my weight right and balanced through my swing. I've also got a bad habit of getting a little wristy with my takeaway and I've been spending a lot of time just working my takeaway slowly, repeatedly trying to get that out of my system.

All said I feel really good about the progress I'm making. When I take my time and don't rush my swing I'm hitting well. When I rush things is when I tend to get my wrist action on the takeaway and/or just get totally out of sync and balance. It's a work in progress, but it's coming a long.

Worked on alignment, impact zone, chipping, pitching, and hinge & holds. Hit about 240 balls, felt great. Pitching is coming along since I fixed my ball address.

I spent maybe 30-45 minutes on the putting green. I was enduring my normal flaw of leaving the ball short. Then I remembered the thread about running your finger down the shaft and had the realization that I was unconsciously doing just that with my left index finger. That and one other adjustment later I started striking the ball noticeably better, much firmer in the center of the face. Baby steps.

I was lucky enough to get in range time, and putting. Nobody at my course, so it made it fun.

Came upon a free hour and practiced.

Where I want to be in my backswing remains a little elusive. I feel really laid off even though I'm not and have a hard time getting there. There is a drill I've been doing that gets me right in position and I can hit some really clean shots with it, but transitioning to the full swing isn't as seamless as I'd like.

It's basically a three step drill that pieces out all the things that need to happen - 1) hinge 2) rotate forearm 3) turn shoulders. Somewhere when I'm actually swinging (without the drill), I'm not getting one of those things (or more) right. At the same time, I'm trying to stay fluid, but really that can be sorted out later. It is very easy to hit the ball from that position. Just need to get there without looking like I'm a robot.

The good news is that I am coming down into the ball pretty well from there. I think it's a matter of not being all slid outside my right foot. Much less effort involved and the face squares up really nicely.

Anyway, the goal isn't to be where I want in a week. Hoping the MC keeps me motivated to deal with the slow and steady plan while it's cold out. I'm finally getting a little more practice time in now that baby #2 is getting older. Should only get better as time goes on I hope.

Hawk, I mean this, your work ethic on all this motivates the hell out of me buddy.

I played with a lot of good golfers in California. Instant motivation lol.

Came upon a free hour and practiced.

Where I want to be in my backswing remains a little elusive. I feel really laid off even though I'm not and have a hard time getting there. There is a drill I've been doing that gets me right in position and I can hit some really clean shots with it, but transitioning to the full swing isn't as seamless as I'd like.

It's basically a three step drill that pieces out all the things that need to happen - 1) hinge 2) rotate forearm 3) turn shoulders. Somewhere when I'm actually swinging (without the drill), I'm not getting one of those things (or more) right. At the same time, I'm trying to stay fluid, but really that can be sorted out later. It is very easy to hit the ball from that position. Just need to get there without looking like I'm a robot.

The good news is that I am coming down into the ball pretty well from there. I think it's a matter of not being all slid outside my right foot. Much less effort involved and the face squares up really nicely.

Anyway, the goal isn't to be where I want in a week. Hoping the MC keeps me motivated to deal with the slow and steady plan while it's cold out. I'm finally getting a little more practice time in now that baby #2 is getting older. Should only get better as time goes on I hope.

My man is doing work, defeating the opponents before their team is formed!

I played with a lot of good golfers in California. Instant motivation lol.

Yes we did! Fun to witness too. You're no slouch either

Breaking put the Birdie Ball tomorrow evening..starting to get some motivation for the '14 season.

Just finished up some birdieball putting action.

I will rule the greens in 2014!

No practice range time for me, just a little practice session in the garage to reinforce the grip and posture.

I hit the range this afternoon since it's the holiday lull and the weather was pretty nice.

My swing feels really good right now. Tempo, alignment, everything just feels good. I can still get a little long in my backswing, but for the most part it's just picking a target and pulling the trigger. I need to figure out how to keep this trend going.

I also worked on hitting different clubs to the same target. I was hitting my 58*, 54* and 50* to the same flag about 85 yards away. I used to be pretty good at hitting a low, spinning pitch with my 54*, but I let that shot get away from me. I forgot how much fun it is to take different trajectories with different wedges into the same target.

Putting was solid. I'm just continuing to work on the same fundamentals (primarily in reading the green) and keeping a relaxed putting stroke to get the ball on the line. I'm pretty happy where I am with that right now.

My goal for 2014 is to expand my game around the green and really refine it. I didn't get a chance to do much chipping today, but the plan is to devote one day a week (or at least every couple weeks) solely to chipping, pitching and the sand game. If I'm going to bring my scores down further, I really need to tighten that area up a lot.

Did some work this afternoon on release, also keeping shoulders level with irons (I'm a dipper).

Did a drill my instructor gave me with a plastic coat hangar to work on swing plane.

Will putt a bit tonight.

God, I can't wait to golf!!!

I got some putting in before work. I went to the range after work. I stopped to putt some more after hitting balls. The ball striking was actually pretty decent, kind of happy with that. I got some good work in with the Pelz swings, saw the first signs of progress in a while on getting the distances down. The putting is a work in progress, mostly looking to reinforce preshot routine and grip. When I focus on those things lag putting isn't as bad. Baby steps, but overall good stuff.

Im dying to get back to the practice.... 4 more days an the stitches will be out of my finger.....not sure how soon after that I will be ready to give it a go....but it's killing me to walk by the bag day after day

I put in an hour today in the backyard working on my irons. I couldn't find my swing and was shorting and push slicing everything. I finally realized I wasn't really turning, so focused on a real wide turn and getting my hands real high at the top. I started seeing a lot of good shots after that. I'm still struggling with wrist hinge and casting, but it's definitely something that's coming around.

Equipment wise, I think it's time to go through a fitting. I'd like to get some feedback on what shafts, weight, flex, etc. are ideal for me, as my swing went through considerable changes since my last fitting and recently I've gone thorough some cursory online shaft fittings, which is oputting me with stuff I wouldn't have even considered last year. If anything, it will be educational.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 Morgan Cup preparation thread

2014 Morgan Cup preparation thread

There are a number of MC threads around, and I wanted to make a central place for all of us to talk about how we're getting ready for the MC, and for the rest of the forum to easily follow along or ask questions. This could be anything from what you plan on doing, to when you actually start working on golf, to booking flights, to working out to get your body in shape.

I've started doing a few things since I found out I was picked. I've looked at Bridgestone's website about 1000 times, started looking at custom shaft options, and think I've decided on the grips I'd like if available: Golf Pride NDMC Black and red. I've read the THP reviews on the entire J40 line, and am starting to think about bag makeup.

On the actual golf side of things, I've spent a few hours already working on my putting in my basement. I'm working on the basics of putting and trying not to get too attached to a specific putter (my SeeMores) because I'm guessing I won't be gaming one of them in Myrtle.

What are the rest of you already doing or planning on doing to prepare for the 2014 MC?

Any questions at this point from anyone to those already selected to participate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back