The Official Rant of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say that a lot TH. I really do and you are dead right.
If you ever get a chance, go check out the thread MikeDean started about where we should have events.
See how many said KC. Then compare that to how many traveled to the event in their state (or close by).

Its not a knock on them. Its not a knock on anybody. It was a great event, with great people and we would do it with the same people again.

Another example would be the west coast. We were just there a month ago. And we will be there in a few weeks. And we will be there next Dec. I understand everybody wants an Invitational or low cost event in their area, but its just not feasible, because frankly and I will regret saying this, but I could drop an Invitational in ANY major market in the Pacific Time zone and it wouldnt even come close to selling out.

Again, not a knock on the west coast. Not a knock on anybody. Just that we have to go where the masses are and areas that are very spread out make it hard to put our necks on the line. Its not an unwillingness obviously based on our schedule, but the decisions and work that go into choosing a location is very different than what people believe.

I think this is true of the west coast - we're too spread out for one day events to really be feasible out here. That being said, I know that many west coasters like me are just a little bummed that our time zone lost the Championship, because it made traveling to an event easier for us (I couldn't make it because of the dates, but would have tried for sure if the dates worked). Not a knock at all on your choice of venue at PGA National, I understand the circumstances that went into that, and it's a freaking awesome resort, but I know it was real nice for a lot of us to have an event that was either driveable or a shorter flight, vs. the very long/pricy flights that we sometimes get stuck with coming to the east. Thusly, we're hoping for a stay and play on the West Coast to return sometime next year or the following!

Just reading the last few pages makes me feel a bit sad that I can't do more events in 2014. It is just a dumb timing thing for most of them. Ridiculously bad timing for a lot. Doesn't mean that I am not keeping the door open.

I wish I could do more.

I think this is true of the west coast - we're too spread out for one day events to really be feasible out here. That being said, I know that many west coasters like me are just a little bummed that our time zone lost the Championship, because it made traveling to an event easier for us (I couldn't make it because of the dates, but would have tried for sure if the dates worked). Not a knock at all on your choice of venue at PGA National, I understand the circumstances that went into that, and it's a freaking awesome resort, but I know it was real nice for a lot of us to have an event that was either driveable or a shorter flight, vs. the very long/pricy flights that we sometimes get stuck with coming to the east. Thusly, we're hoping for a stay and play on the West Coast to return sometime next year or the following!

FWIW, its something we took a long look at.
And I can also say it was never a thing to always have the Championship in one time zone.
Frankly the plan all along was to have the 2nd year at Doral, but with construction and costs, it was not feasible.

But to me getting on a plane is getting on a plane. Its still a day of travel. I would also venture to say that more from the EST were at the Championship than the PST. Again, not a knock on the people or area, just where the masses are. The good news is that we do still have an event on the West coast this coming year and did just have one last month there as well.

More people are in an area, there is no doubt we will have an event. But frankly we are not in a position to make certain guarantees and hope they fit schedules since out on the west coast no matter where we pick, most people will be flying.

I think I'm on the side of "we have x amount already that make for a kick ass 2014, let's roll with what we already have". If people are holding out of the big events because they're waiting for low cost events in their area, they're dead wrong. That's what get togethers are for. And let's be honest, these official THP events are honestly half the cost they should be when you look at all that is included

Greg,
I will ask you the honest question because you posted this. Why not #TheKing? Based on what you are signing up for (or planning to) and the fact that its in your home state. Im not going after you, just trying to understand the reasoning so we dont make the same "mistake" again.

I didn't think #TheKing was a non-skill-level-dependant event like the Invitationals. Then I started typing this reply and had all my reasons why I wasn't paying any attention to it. Then after that, I realized I was thinking of the Grandaddy, and that I'm a moron. With that being said, #ImWithChad.

I think #TheKing is just suffering for having the sign-ups at the same time everyone is thinking Morgan Cup. The Morgan Cup is a known quantity at this point, and is billed as the Ultimate Amateur Golf Event, and folks have been conditioned (right or wrong) to view it as the absolute best THP has to offer. I think back to this spring and early summer when #Grandaddy details were announced and contests being held...the interest was really high, and at least in my eyes, sign-ups reflected that. #Grandaddy had it's own stage (as far as entries go) during that time.

Sad thing is that #TheKing has some aspects that would fit some people SO much better than the Morgan Cup...such as fewer qualification requirements and less time commitment. #TheKing is going to be an absolutely incredible event in it's own right, and one I would really love to be a part of. I don't think people give enough credit to how rare it is that two folks at Harry and Chad's levels are willing to come spend a weekend with us average hacks.

Another thing #TheKing has that could deter someone from signing up is the factor of the unknown. There's no video coverage of last years #TheKing (yes I know there wasn't one, just making my point), there's no former participants to share how life changing it has been. All of this is examples of the unknown which some people don't like. To me, it's extremely exciting. But to others, they may view it differently

Guess it's also another THP Catch-22...we all ask for all the events to be planned and announced in advance so that we can plan better. To accomodate that, sign-ups overlap which reduce excitement, and during a time of year where large parts of the country are no longer able to play, so some seasonally active THPers are less active than normal.

There is no right answer...but we do appreciate you all constantly trying to find one anyway.

Another thing #TheKing has that could deter someone from signing up is the factor of the unknown. There's no video coverage of last years #TheKing (yes I know there wasn't one, just making my point), there's no former participants to share how life changing it has been. All of this is examples of the unknown which some people don't like. To me, it's extremely exciting. But to others, they may view it differently

The unknown did not stop someone from jumping into THP Championship, SeeMore event, Ultimate Club Testings and countless others.

The unknown did not stop someone from jumping into THP Championship, SeeMore event, Ultimate Club Testings and countless others.

Your right. It was just a guess. Hey I have no explanation as to why the response isn't what was expected. I'm actually shocked. #TheKing is coming threads were so unique. Almost caused me to get in a car accident at 7:00pm when the first video was released lol

I think it just needs to be said over and over about #TheKing... That it was supposed to replace the Morgan Cup! That should tell people that it's more than worth trying for...I would feel so honored to be in that event.

I also feel sad that JB is considering dropping an event or two that was in mind...I feel so pumped just to be in the SeeMore event, plus I know I'll be signing up for the OC Invitational. A big 3rd event (The King, The Morgan Cup, or Bridgestone Championship) is my goal for 2014.

I really like THP. I really like a lot of the people here. I like the escape it offers me.

It is making things much easier for me right now.

I believe that people have been "trained" to say "its not about the equipment" for some reason as it pertains to the MC. I know that some for years preached that, but the truth is it is very much about the equipment. And it should be. Life long friends and all that jazz, its bullsh!t. What you get is an amazing journey that is unlike just about anything related to golf, a weekend of playing some competitive golf and a whole lot of gear.

Im not going to hide behind it and think its some moral compass that separates it from other events. Its the freaking gear. Just like its the gear that makes Ultimate Club Testing fill up faster than an Invitational. The best part is...THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. If we did not like golf gear and shiny new things, we are in the wrong business, and you guys are in the wrong place. I know some "preached" in the past, but they were wrong. Just like the whole phrase "rep my sponsor". Never knew where that came from, buts its not accurate either. Whats accurate is a wonderful ride, a fantastic weekend and a whole bunch of great stuff.

If the gear didnt matter, all the people that cant travel to all the other events, would not be able to travel to the MC either. Amazing how that date works for just about everybody, but no other event date does. And I will say it again, there is nothing wrong with that.

Anybody that spends any second in real life will tell you that I love that people adore this event that we put on. Its freaking awesome. And FWIW, the idea that this conversation is happening should explain more about her and I than just about anything else.

FWIW, its something we took a long look at.
And I can also say it was never a thing to always have the Championship in one time zone.
Frankly the plan all along was to have the 2nd year at Doral, but with construction and costs, it was not feasible.

But to me getting on a plane is getting on a plane. Its still a day of travel. I would also venture to say that more from the EST were at the Championship than the PST. Again, not a knock on the people or area, just where the masses are. The good news is that we do still have an event on the West coast this coming year and did just have one last month there as well.

More people are in an area, there is no doubt we will have an event. But frankly we are not in a position to make certain guarantees and hope they fit schedules since out on the west coast no matter where we pick, most people will be flying.

Understandable. Just trying to clarify us Westerners' viewpoints. Never thought that it was a given to have the Champs in the PST, just that it was nice. I would have been there 100% if I had still been in Salt Lake City - that would have been a very easy drive right down I-15 to Vegas. Bummer that our showing wasn't as strong as I thought too - although I think it might be fair to to include all the MST folks, cause if I remember correctly there were some CO folks in attendance.

And yeah, a plane is a plane, for sure. Intimately familiar with that due to having to fly cross country to visit family.

P.S. - want to make it clear that I'm not bellyaching here. You guys knock it out of the park with the events, and I can't wait to kick my participation off in April at Championsgate!!

Understandable. Just trying to clarify us Westerners' viewpoints. Never thought that it was a given to have the Champs in the PST, just that it was nice. I would have been there 100% if I had still been in Salt Lake City - that would have been a very easy drive right down I-15 to Vegas. Bummer that our showing wasn't as strong as I thought too - although I think it might be fair to to include all the MST folks, cause if I remember correctly there were some CO folks in attendance.

And yeah, a plane is a plane, for sure. Intimately familiar with that due to having to fly cross country to visit family.

P.S. - want to make it clear that I'm not bellyaching here. You guys knock it out of the park with the events, and I can't wait to kick my participation off in April at Championsgate!!

Oh no dude. Not at all. I love this conversation. I am all for bellyaching if someone wants to. Its what this thread is for. Its easy for me to answer after having done all of this planning and tell people exactly why things are the way they are.

I believe that people have been "trained" to say "its not about the equipment" for some reason as it pertains to the MC. I know that some for years preached that, but the truth is it is very much about the equipment. And it should be. Life long friends and all that jazz, its bullsh!t. What you get is an amazing journey that is unlike just about anything related to golf, a weekend of playing some competitive golf and a whole lot of gear.

Im not going to hide behind it and think its some moral compass that separates it from other events. Its the freaking gear. Just like its the gear that makes Ultimate Club Testing fill up faster than an Invitational. The best part is...THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. If we did not like golf gear and shiny new things, we are in the wrong business, and you guys are in the wrong place. I know some "preached" in the past, but they were wrong. Just like the whole phrase "rep my sponsor". Never knew where that came from, buts its not accurate either. Whats accurate is a wonderful ride, a fantastic weekend and a whole bunch of great stuff.

If the gear didnt matter, all the people that cant travel to all the other events, would not be able to travel to the MC either. Amazing how that date works for just about everybody, but no other event date does. And I will say it again, there is nothing wrong with that.

Anybody that spends any second in real life will tell you that I love that people adore this event that we put on. Its freaking awesome. And FWIW, the idea that this conversation is happening should explain more about her and I than just about anything else.

You said this really really well.

I certainly understand the draw of the MC but there are limited spots. As JB has said many times why not double your chances to get in a premier event by entering contests for both.

I can't figure out why interests seems lower for #theking. So much has already been announced and knowing Callaway and how they do things it's really going to be done well.

Is it timing? Are golfers in cold weather regions afraid their game won't be in shape? Is it too close to spring break / Easter? Everyone wants in the MC?

I think there will be many guys wishing they had tried to enter after the event comes and goes. Don't be one of them, get your entry in!

I am not going to get into a ton of detail about that on the board. But it just happens to be an easier time of year for me to schedule around. Work is quiet. No holidays to worry about (July 4th didn't stop me last year).

I need to bow out on this. A lot of emotion is starting to flow (not all bad - just emotion). If anybody has a specific question, ask. You know where to find me.

I skimmed, when do we go back to Branson?

I am not going to get into a ton of detail about that on the board. But it just happens to be an easier time of year for me to schedule around. Work is quiet. No holidays to worry about (July 4th didn't stop me last year).

I need to bow out on this. A lot of emotion is starting to flow (not all bad - just emotion). If anybody has a specific question, ask. You know where to find me.

Huh? Why on earth would this be emotional? Its THP events. People come, people dont and in the end some make some great friends and have a great time. Others dont. There is absolutely NO reason why someone should have to explain why they can or cannot make an event. Frankly it doesnt matter. I was curious about a select event so asked a few. Nothing really to it other than that.

Nor should anybody have to give a reason as to why they are choosing one event over another. I have been here for 5 years, I know why people do. Just the fact that there is interest in the events is all that matters to me. Some of the best weekends I have had with THPers were at non-sold out events. Thats cool too.

The whole reason for the conversation is it appears people are PC or feel the need to validate decisions. Its just not the case. I was simply putting out there that I hate leaving an event on the table because it would be really freaking cool.

I skimmed, when do we go back to Branson?

I'm actually going to try and plan an unofficial trip for next year. Not typing a thread on my phone, but sounds like there may be some interest in going back. More to come tonight.

I'm actually going to try and plan an unofficial trip for next year. Not typing a thread on my phone, but sounds like there may be some interest in going back. More to come tonight.

Ledgestone is such a phenomenal course. Would love to play it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back