Has purchasing a driver become too complicated for the average person?

I can see how if someone hasn't bought a new club in say, 8 years or so how they could be overwhelmed by the experience. There are more models, shaft options and adjustability, but that said, there are also a ton more places and much easier access to just finding information.

You can get on line and besides the manufacturers website, you have retail websites (like golfsmith) or independent enthusiast sites/communities (like THP) where you can ask questions and you will get a lot of information.

Like most things in our modern world, it has gotten more complicated, but that doesn't mean it is a bad thing.

As I think about this and the constant discussions about driver tech being maxed out, between shaft choices and adjustability, if as a consumer we can eek out a few RPMs of spin either way, and add or decrease launch angle with a simple fitting, why complain about all of the options? Instead of complaining about maxed out tech, how about we take full advantage of all of this tech.

I don't look at this as complaining about tech. I said (I believe more than once) that its a good thing to be able to adjust clubs to an individual and also that more choices are usually always better in the end. But what comes with those positives is also some confusion is all.

I don't look at this as complaining about tech. I said (I believe more than once) that its a good thing to be able to adjust clubs to an individual and also that more choices are usually always better in the end. But what comes with those positives is also some confusion is all.
A consumer will always be as informed or confused as they choose to be. That isn't on the OEMs. That's on the consumers.

All the of the adjustable drivers I've looked at basically tell you what to do. With either draw/fade or towering/penetrating. A person just has to take a few swings and see what the ball does and make the necessary adjustments.

hahaha this is funny and I tell ya why.

I often say what ever happened to the days when you ran to the store to replace something that broke or buy just about anything for whatever reason and all you had was one or two to chose from. Younger generations don't understand how it was. It was simple, you went and picked it up and came back home. Nowadays you run to the store and the simple little thing you wanted to replace or pick up ends up being a whole wall darn filled with a hundred different ones. Now ya got a friggin homework assignment trying to determine which one to get. Different prices and features etc... I can almost be sorry I even went in the first place. lol...but I suppose it can be somewhat similar here with this topic.

Though I understand it, think it still comes down to the consumer. I'm part of the younger generation that is high on consumerism. I do my homework before just about any purchase and brand loyalty means very little to me outside of 2-3 products.

My parents on the other hand, when they need to replace something, walk into a store, find a price point they want and pick whatever looks best to them. They have more brands that they have had in the past and tend to trust them. They are less likely to venture outside the well know brands in most markets.

Think that's similar to most average golfers. They have 2-3 brands they know and they pick either what looks best to them or whatever their buddies play.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I mean I adjusted my Titleist club shaft but that's pretty simple. But it did (new to me at the time) require some small knowledge and also trial and error. Now if I had sliding front weights and changeable and/or sliding rear weights or both in addition to shaft settings? I have to be honest, that can get confusing. demands more knowledge, perhaps more fitting, experience, more trials and errors, whatever, etc... it does create a process even if a little and the more combos of adjustments on a driver the more the process so while I may go through it when/if looking for a new driver, there may be plenty who deter from it. No? I mean if I or you just went out and wanted to buy one of Cobra's new drivers and it had 3 adjustable areas to adjust. It would be a process. One isn't just going to use it without trying to adjust all the settings to their liking. Whether thats done by oneself or with professional fit help its still going to be a process of some sort and perhaps some would find that process a bit too much to bother and possibly be turned off by that from then buying that club.

Even if you're going to self-fit and make some changes, it's not like you're iterating over all possible combinations of adjustments. Let's take the M1 as an example, since it's got two sliding weights, plus the adjustable neck. Do you need more draw or fade bias? Move the front sliding weight heelside for draw, toeside for fade. Do you need to adjust spin higher or lower? Move the front-back weight track. Are you launching the ball too high or low? Adjust the loft using the neck. Sure, some of these are linked (moving the front-back weight is going to have some effect on launch), but there's usually a method to the madness, determined by the ball flight you're seeing.

A consumer will always be as informed or confused as they choose to be. That isn't on the OEMs. That's on the consumers.

Yes and no in just about any business.
I say that because the OEM's will sell whatever works best for sales. Right now they are always trying to out do each other for the most part with gadgetry type drivers. When/if the time comes that simper would again sell better then they will again simplify it. Its kind of like when a restaurant may have too large a menu. In some cases they can find they do much better when they simplify it.
Any consumer will always be as informed as they like to be but the OEM in many cases will adjust if things ever get too complex and if they ever find a simpler choice sells better. I suppose that's not the case....yet. But there are tons of products (non golf related) where people want simplicity and is what out sells the more complex versions of those same products. So, yes its always on any consumer to be as informed as he wishes but OEM's will respond as needed and as the sales dictate.

I say that because the OEM's will sell whatever works best for sales. Right now they are always trying to out do each other for the most part with gadgetry type drivers. When/if the time comes that simper would again sell better then they will again simplify it. Its kind of like when a restaurant may have too large a menu. In some cases they can find they do much better when they simplify it.
Any consumer will always be as informed as they like to be but the OEM in many cases will adjust if things ever get too complex and if they ever find a simpler choice sells better. I suppose that's not the case....yet. But there are tons of products (non golf related) where people want simplicity and is what out sells the more complex versions of those same products. So, yes its always on any consumer to be as informed as he wishes but OEM's will respond as needed and as the sales dictate.

Not totally sure what's not simple about the current process you're referring to. Just about every company that has "gadgetry" on their drivers, it's on their more expensive options. Cheaper options tend to have none or less. People go in and see price and see moving parts and automatically associate that with performance or cost. That's fine, they then decide if that cost is in the budget and decide from there. This whole process for most would happen fairly quickly, as it's all visually right up front.

Maybe the OEMs saw a trend a few years ago, that consumers wanted more adjustability? At the same time, retailers love the adjustability because they no longer need to stock as much product.

And simpler will not sell better. Ask the Aeroburner how that worked out.

I would argue that if you forgo the true fitting you can get pretty close with the following methodology:

1) Go to the store and pick out 3 or 4 drivers that you like the look of.
2) Hit them all and see which one feels the best to you and produces what you consider good results. If none do, go back to step 1 and pick 3 or 4 more.
3) If you aren't familiar with adjustability, find a shop guy and do the basic fitting with the 1-3 drivers you liked best from above. If you are, try to fine tune each head as best you can and see which one has best results after adjusting.
4) Buy recommended driver.

Even if you're going to self-fit and make some changes, it's not like you're iterating over all possible combinations of adjustments. Let's take the M1 as an example, since it's got two sliding weights, plus the adjustable neck. Do you need more draw or fade bias? Move the front sliding weight heelside for draw, toeside for fade. Do you need to adjust spin higher or lower? Move the front-back weight track. Are you launching the ball too high or low? Adjust the loft using the neck. Sure, some of these are linked (moving the front-back weight is going to have some effect on launch), but there's usually a method to the madness, determined by the ball flight you're seeing.

Understood and for you, me and others here its understood. Some of us understand it more and some less. But regardless we do have some understanding to work with about it. But not everyone and probably safe to assume that most don't. Remember we are a bit unique here in the things we understand and have ideas about. This is probably not the case for a huge percentage of the millions who ever play golf and buy clubs. So then with that, we can say its a process. It may be a fairly simple one to you because as we learn and better understand it gets easier, but to one who is much more ignorant that process is a much larger task than it seems to us. This is what made me bring up the question asking if it all might be a bit too much and if it might work to hurt some sales. Most seem so far to feel its not near that point at all but I thought it interesting enough to kick it around and see what the thoughts are. I suppose it possible if this were a forum with nothing but newbies and/or those who play without wanting to get as informed or as involved as much as we do the conversation just might take on a different avenue.

This is interesting because for the most part, everyone chimming in here is informed or has knowledge regarding golf equipment that is beyond that of the average consumer. Having worked in golf sales for 5 years now, there are basically two types of buyers (there are more, but the majority fit into two categories). The ones who care to become informed. These golfers know there are a lot of options out there and generally walk into the shop with a general idea about the different options on the market. A high percentage of these consumers will end up getting fit.

The other ones walk in with a driver in mind. They may demo it for one round, but for the most part either like what they see or like what they have heard (commercial, maybe an online article) and buy from there based on the specs of their current driver.

I just don't see the adjustability adding any problems unless you want them. Unless you are just a tinkerer you can most likely set it to your desired loft at the store, set it to draw/fade/ nor neutral based on your own swing, and never tough it again. My driver has never been touched since I bought it a year ago.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

This is interesting because for the most part, everyone chimming in here is informed or has knowledge regarding golf equipment that is beyond that of the average consumer. Having worked in golf sales for 5 years now, there are basically two types of buyers (there are more, but the majority fit into two categories). The ones who care to become informed. These golfers know there are a lot of options out there and generally walk into the shop with a general idea about the different options on the market. A high percentage of these consumers will end up getting fit.

The other ones walk in with a driver in mind. They may demo it for one round, but for the most part either like what they see or like what they have heard (commercial, maybe an online article) and buy from there based on the specs of their current driver.

Not gonna change these guys whether you make drivers simpler or more complicated. No matter what, these guys will come in with one driver mind and buy it virtually irrespective to results. Pretty silly IMO for a couple hundred dollar purchase, but hey, we're all different right?

Not gonna change these guys whether you make drivers simpler or more complicated. No matter what, these guys will come in with one driver mind and buy it virtually irrespective to results. Pretty silly IMO for a couple hundred dollar purchase, but hey, we're all different right?

Most golfers have brand preferences and don't go through a proper fitting although fittings have become more common over the last 5 years. Half the guys at my club seem to be playing the M1 or M2 driver which makes me not want to own them. I would argue that it's easier to get a driver closer to fitting correctly because of adjustability. It makes it easy if you selected the wrong loft and at least makes stubborn guys like me experiment with more loft, even if I'm playing it at 8* currently. When you buy 3 or 4 drivers every year like I do, your bound to find one that you like eventually. :act-up:

The average joe might also see that all the new clubs from every OEM are adjustable.
Just find one that feels good off the face when hitting it at the store and then go home and start playing around with the settings later on.

I have friends that really enjoy golfing, but none of them were ever fit for the clubs they are using. They just went based on brand and what they found for a good deal

I think getting proper golf equipment is the easiest now. Better info than in days past. Not so much subjective ratings but objective comparisons from data. In the end I think this saves time and money vs. trying this and then trying that. Great reviews here on THP helped educate me before I actually went & hit anything. Helped me eliminate some things and include some choices I would have been unaware of or passed on...

There's one Gent that I can think of, each year comes in and orders the newest clubs from a specific manufacture, from putter through to driver. No questions asked. He doesn't care about what is going to go the farthest or straightest. It's what he likes, it's his money, and he buys what he wants with it and enjoys the game 5-6 days per week. He's not going to change, nor does he have too. He enjoys the game more than probably most of us here who may get caught up on numbers or shooting our best every round.

He goes another step and donates his old clubs to local junior programs that supports kids who may not be financially able to afford to play golf otherwise.

There's one Gent that I can think of, each year comes in and orders the newest clubs from a specific manufacture, from putter through to driver. No questions asked. He doesn't care about what is going to go the farthest or straightest. It's what he likes, it's his money, and he buys what he wants with it and enjoys the game 5-6 days per week. He's not going to change, nor does he have too. He enjoys the game more than probably most of us here who may get caught up on numbers or shooting our best every round.

He goes another step and donates his old clubs to local junior programs that supports kids who may not be financially able to afford to play golf otherwise.

That's awesome. Hey, gotta play what you like! And extremely awesome that he donates the old ones. I'm way too much of a numbers guy to do that, but like I said, everyone is different and clearly it gives him enjoyment and works for him.

I think its easier than ever - options are good - also, I keep seeing "get custom fit" commercials on the Golf Channel and during tournaments....

Granted there are people who still only buy off the rack without even looking at LM results or adjusting the head settings....sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't....

No, if you don't want to educate yourself, or hit different options, or do a fitting, the process is still as easy as ever. Pick your favorite company, pick out their top of the line product (because it must be the best) or alternately the product that fits in your budget, and go buy it. I would say a good portion of the buying public does things this way.

With just a little more effort you can go to Golfsmith or wherever and hit a handful of drivers that tickle your fancy, and take home the one you hit best.

Don't think much more than this needs to be said!

I'd be curious with all these options, how many sales are based on "I want this one because Jordan/Phil/Rory/Jason/Rickie/etc play it".

Yes there are a lot of options for those of us that care and put those options to use, but I would imagine that the vast majority of driver sold are not fit and are bought off the rack because it looks bad ass or a favorite pro plays it.

Agreed. Its actually easier than ever.
One can do the exact same thing they have always done, and just pick something.
Or one can get educated from tons of places, or right here on THP.
One can get fit at thousands more places for the consumer.
And choices are in just about every budget.

Agree. It is quick and easy to get fit and the choices are endless.

Ok, I have a question. In reality, being totally honest and objective, how many strokes per round would getting fit for a driver really save me? 3? 5? 10? At my skill level, Really don't know spending the dough on a new stick, even if it included the fitting would really be that huge of a benefit. Money probably better spent on lessons/range time in my case.

This whole thread just feels like a fabricated problem being made for argument's sake.

Back