As a youngster, how were you disciplined?

How many threads on this are needed?

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse: No pun intended.

How many threads on this are needed?

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse: No pun intended.

Sounds like somebody needs a paddling. Watch your step young man!

I got licks with a paddle, a belt, even a tupperware spoon. I also had to pick my own switch.

I turned out fine.
Same here. I would also occasionally get a choice between spanking or being grounded....always opted for spanking, I hated being grounded more than anything.

Sounds like somebody needs a paddling. Watch your step young man!

A nasty tweet will take care of it. No need to be violent now...

My parents tried a little bit of everything with me. I had timeouts, grounding, toys/activities taken away, stern talks, angry talks, and occasional spankings, sometimes with a hand or other times with a rubber glue stick from a glue gun.

For me, spankings were always the worst thing in the world, and the thing I wanted to avoid more than any of the other methods that were employed. My mom would always say you're getting a spanking and then send me to my room. It felt like 2 hours before she would finally come in (probably 10 minutes) and give me a long lecture on why, then finally spank me. My dad only spanked me twice, and frankly they barely hurt at all, but the disappointment he expressed before them was the worst.

Leather belt by a drunken bastard for the most part. Will never talk to or see the SOB again if I have my way.

We got spanked with either a hand or a wooden spoon. Thank God those pampered chef spoons weren't around back then...

My parents had a razor strop hanging on the wall that was their "go to". I was spanked with it maybe 2-3 times. I had two older brothers who were troublemakers, so I learned what not to do from them :D.
I was a pretty good kid.

Being raised by a single mom, she put the fear of god in me if I got in trouble. She worked two jobs & if she had to take time off to deal with my nonsense it not only cost her, it cost me as well.

She had a leather belt she would dip in cold water to tighten the leather. I only got in trouble a few times to have her use that. Otherwise it was a regular belt & of course paddling in school.

I didn't get into trouble all that much, but when I did I knew a whopping was coming and at times I was glad to get the "switch" over the belt. I turned out fine and thank my mom for her discipline to keep me out of trouble.

I received four beatings with my fathers belt. I still recall, three decades later, what I did to deserve all four. I received spankings from time to time, mostly because I mouthed off, I probably caught my mom's wooden spoon once or twice, and I had a run-in with ivory soap once too, but honestly I also remember losing privileges and things I enjoyed (toys, etc). I learned very quickly that a beating would only hurt for a few minutes ... a couple of hours at most, but that when things were taken away, they were very slow to return ... that caught my attention.

I look at my son, and granted he's eight weeks old, but I don't see corporal punishment being a staple in my discipline arsenal. My hope is that I am able to establish a rapport with the little guy so when I look him in the eyes and say "Wow, you really disappointed me with that behavior of yours." it'll cut deeper than any smack to his rear I can muster. Are there times that spanking may, in my opinion, serve him better? Perhaps ... I don't know yet. I just need to remember that if I do plan on using that method, it has to be done without emotion and after careful consideration.

When I really acted-up, it was a spanking. I got the belt once. It only took once.

whipped with whatever my mom could get her hands on. switch, wooden spoons and paddles, belts including the buckle end, 7-stranded leather horse whip. the whip mysteriously vanished one day, you can probably still find that thing buried in the back yard where i put it. never could get rid of the belts/buckles though. cuts and bruises were included free of charge. they always came with the "this hurts me more than it does you" b.s. that seems to make some parents think it's ok.

The one thing I've learned over the years is to never say "never" when you're dealing with a jury. It is too much of a wildcard to discuss in terms of absolutes.
Juries scare me. I served on one jury (happened to be the foreman), for a second-offense DUI. He was cited for three things: 1. driving without a license, 2. driving under the influence, 3. open container of alcohol in the vehicle.

The guy denied 1 & 2, admitted #3. We got into deliberations and everyone wanted to find him "not guilty" on all three charges ... even the one he admitted to! I was stunned, and then started to argue my case. I persuaded them into finding him guilty on 2 & 3 ... figured fighting for #1 too (I thought he was guilty) was pushing my luck.

Based on that experience, juries can be populated with total idiots. You do not want your life in the hands of total idiots.

My parents de-friended me on Facebook for my punishments.

All kidding aside, it was either a spanking, or the old washing the mouth out with soap if I was mouthing off.

I got spankings. My mom loves telling the story of being on an airplane with me when I was probably 5 or 6 and I was being a jerk. Running in the aisles and one time as I ran by her she spanked me and lifted me off the ground. I landed on my butt and started to laugh. Then everyone on the plane laughed. Good times.

There was another time my dad spanked me and I was convinced I was bleeding. I jumped up on the bathroom counter and pulled down my pants to reveal a giant red handprint on my ass. That made me laugh, then my mom started laughing.

Spankings were never fun, but those were a couple funny situations that arose from a couple. I don't know when it was specifically, or what I was about to do, but I remember thinking to myself that if I do this, and my dad finds out, I'm going to get spanked, and I don't want to get spanked. Then the lightbulb went off.

My dad only used his hand, my mom would occassionally use a wooden spoon or paddle ball paddle on my brother and I. One time he was running away to avoid her hitting him and she tried to kick him in the ass. She missed and ended up on the floor laughing, and my dad and I were laughnig at her too. I had a pretty good childhood.

Juries scare me. I served on one jury (happened to be the foreman), for a second-offense DUI. He was cited for three things: 1. driving without a license, 2. driving under the influence, 3. open container of alcohol in the vehicle.

The guy denied 1 & 2, admitted #3. We got into deliberations and everyone wanted to find him "not guilty" on all three charges ... even the one he admitted to! I was stunned, and then started to argue my case. I persuaded them into finding him guilty on 2 & 3 ... figured fighting for #1 too (I thought he was guilty) was pushing my luck.

Based on that experience, juries can be populated with total idiots. You do not want your life in the hands of total idiots.

It's 12 strangers from all walks of life that decide a case. The lawyers can do some work to exclude some jurors. But, there is always a risk.

Taking a position that a bad result would "never" happen is much easier to do in simple conversation than it is when you're life and/or livelihood are at stake.

Considering the shelf life of an NFL RB, I would be very, very surprised if AP does not reach a plea agreement, especially if it involves no jail time.

There are simply no absolutes when dealing with a jury.

There are mostly unspoken rumors that I was beaten when I was a baby (its like a shameful family secret or something that people allude to and hint at but nobody will truly tell me). I have no memory of that. What I know is that we were often sent to the corner, getting a swat was common and if we really earned it we would get sent to my parents room for a spanking. We were allowed to sit in the room for some period of time, my father would come in and ask us to explain why we were being punished, then we went over the knee for about 3 hard swats with the hand.

I got the wooden spoon. Sometimes my dad will switch it up and use the spoon with airholes. Never worked.

They sent me a bunch of angry tweets. Still have nightmares.
Threats of deleting my 14 year old daughter's Twitter account work beautifully, apparently some big YouTubers I've never heard of follow her and because of that she has a stupid large number of followers. Finding that out has made disciplining her when necessary (which is extremely rare) and keeping her chores and such done an absolute breeze.

We got spanked with either a hand or a wooden spoon. Thank God those pampered chef spoons weren't around back then...

The wooden spoon was the last resort of punishment when I was growing up as well. We settled down pretty quickly when someone reached for the wooden spoon.

Most of the time it was timeout in the room until my Mom figured out that my brother and I just went in and took a nap. We had chores added on as well. But generally we were grounded and that included sports. Nothing like explaining to your teammates that you couldn't pla because you were grounded for doing something stupid at home. Once in blue moon we were spanked, but that was extremely rare as well.

Big time belt whoopins until he left when I was 10 or so. Then it was mom. She still came at me every now and then. She broke more than one solid yardstick (remember those?) over me, and I think I might have broken a finger or something in her hand once with my arse. She once took my biology book and beat me upside the back and shoulders with it because I said something I really shouldn't have. Kind of funny, now. I was a freshman and testing the waters I think.

Got paddled a few times in school. No biggie. I was known to be the occasional dumb@$$.

I got spanked, and grounded but I think the worst thing I had to do was wash my mouth out with a bar of soap.
That was awful, I will take a whooping over that anyday.

I was spanked, never had anything other than an open hand swat, but that was enough for me. I had my mouth washed out with soap from time to time, as Barberakb mentioned, too. I turned out fine.

Back