• Equally awful across the board

Votes: 31 20.8%

• Total voters

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The poll says it all. Which do you score better on right now and why?

Par 5's. Distance has some advantages.

Usually par 3's, but some days I'm equally awful across the board.

One iron shot close and putter in my hand is lot better than a wood in my hand and multiple shots that can be disastrous.

Par 5's for me, too. Being able to be long off the tee is helpful for me.

Par 5s.

Par 3s are somehow the worst for me because I keep putting myself in bad spots off the tee.

5's, I can leave myself an approach yardage that I am comfortable and confident with.

According to my last 20 rounds, par 3s are best.

Right now it's been 4's, and I can't explain why to be honest. I guess because on par 3's I sometimes seem to have a mental block with irons off the tee, and with par 4's I can usually hit driver to a reasonably comfortable spot. Par 5's give me one more chance to screw up haha, but on paper I really ought to play these better.

I've always felt like par 5's are my best scoring holes. You typically get a chance to hit one terrible shot and still walk away with par without any heroics.

Looks like my scoring average is 5.5 on par 5's, 3.8 on par 3's and 4.9 on par 4's right now, so the data backs that up.

Just looked up my stats thanks to this poll. Amazingly enough my avg's are 3.8, 4.8 and 5.8. Equally awful it is. I thought I would be better on 4's as I usually seem to fair better there. I guess not. One caveat is I also score my boozing apps with the app so there is hope as that my be skewing the avg's.

in order, 3s, 5s and then par fours.

not hitting a longer club of the tee is golden for me. and if I have to hit one, I'd like to have another free shot to punch out of the woods

One iron shot close and putter in my hand is lot better than a wood in my hand and multiple shots that can be disastrous.

Ditto; I tend to make less of a mess of Par 3's is what it boils down too.

Definitely par 5's and it has nothing to do with being long off the tee. On par 5's I have more chances to recover from a poor shot. You simply don't have that on par 3's and have fewer chances on par 4's. Birdie is virtually out of the equation on par 3/4's if you hang back, with a par 5 playing safe can still yield good scores.

RIght now par 3's those and Par 5's are the 2 that I par the higest % of the time (which is still a low percentage). Im usually greenside and at worse take 4 on par 3s

Par 3 Avg. 3.6
Par 4 Avg. 4.7
Par 5 Avg. 5.5

Mine are all pretty even in my last 20, but I do slightly better on par 5's and have had stretches where my par 5's are about even. Why? par 5's allow me an extra shot to save bad drives, or get pretty close to the green after 2 usually.

Par 5's more room for error. Most of my birdies come from Par 5's. If I don't reach the green in 2 I can usually chip it closer to make a birdie putt.

Par 5 - more time to recover from bad shots!!

Although, looking at my stats for 2016, I am only a few strokes better on par 5's than on par 3's.

Last year I would have said Par 5s easily. So far this year it has surprisingly been Par 4s for me.

Par 3's....that ability to tee up that shot into the green helps me avoid my miss of thin or fat.

I don't keep my stats so I have no clue. At the end of the day I'm looking at 18 hole scores.

I should score better on Par 5s if I just played them smart. I tend to go for the green and put my 2nd in a very bad place.

Off the top of my head I'd definitely say par 5s, but looking back at the stats I'm 4.6 on par 4s and 5.7 on par 5s.

Back