Cleveland Golf CG Black CB Irons Review Thread

Glad to see those are holding up well

I want a set. Those are holding up really well.

That head is looking good. I want to hit these.

These honestly flew under the radar for me. I loved my 588 MTs but haven't even looked to Cleveland since I put the Srixon Z545s in the bag. I definitely love the look of these sticks. I'll have to try them out if I can find them in a shop somewhere.

Golfsmith should have or will be getting them. Not side about GG

That sole is holding up REALLY well. I want these. Don't know when, but I want it to happen. Want these almost based off looks alone. How much you're digging them is really got me wanting to hit them too.

No GG or Golfsmith around these parts but I'm heading to Nashville for work next week and there is a Golfsmith and Edwin Watts nearby. I'll definitely have time to kill and will likely be in both shops checking out stuff. If these are in stock I'll give them a swing for sure.

well that just sux no GG or GS on the hand other hand nashville sounds awesome...enjoy.

I looked at these at a golfshop yesterday. They are the perfect size- they're not concrete shovels nor are they toothpicks. The soles on the the PW and SW are fine. They are slightly larger then the RSI 2s' but they are much prettier. I want a set with those Nippon shafts and 2 black Rotex wedges.

Last edited:
I looked at these at a golfshop yesterday. They are the perfect size- they're not concrete shovels nor are they toothpicks. The soles on the the PW and SW is fine. They are slightly larger then the RSI 2's but they are much prettier. I want a set with those Nippon shafts and 2 black Rotex wedges.

I have a couple more RTX wedges, but that's basically the setup I've been playing. Looks awesome.

yup, still want these. A lot...

and Ryan, you have any thoughts on these versus something like the AP1? Distance and/or forgiveness-wise?

My experience is really that most of the irons in this sleek GI class are going to be similar in forgiveness and distance, assuming there isn't a fitting issue preventing the distance part. That's what thousands of launch monitor balls tells me at least. Regarding forgiveness, if there are differences it's often so small that the vast majority of people wouldn't be able to tell a difference.

That said, they look better and feel better than the AP1's to me - and I say that as a fan of the AP1's.

My experience is really that most of the irons in this sleek GI class are going to be similar in forgiveness and distance, assuming there isn't a fitting issue preventing the distance part. That's what thousands of launch monitor balls tells me at least. Regarding forgiveness, if there are differences it's often so small that the vast majority of people wouldn't be able to tell a difference.

That said, they look better and feel better than the AP1's to me - and I say that as a fan of the AP1's.

Its why I thnk subjective thoughts are so important in "best" things and are so often overlooked by those compiling. Nail meet head. Emotion is very much a part of the story and these have that going for them for those that pick them up.

Its why I thnk subjective thoughts are so important in "best" things and are so often overlooked by those compiling. Nail meet head. Emotion is very much a part of the story and these have that going for them for those that pick them up.

Yea, you have to bring that into the equation. Not doing so leaves out a pretty big chunk of the consumer experience.

sweet, thanks! That's kind of what I was guessing too

These hold up really well , very solid offering. From my understanding many of this finish fade after a round or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hit these today at Golfsmith. My goodness they were nice. I also tried the graphite recoil shaft and seriously loved it. Didn't even notice it was graphite until I swung it and, honestly, I'd have to get fitted to determine which was a better shaft.

Too bad my nearly new X2 Hots are only worth $175 on trade in. This CBs are currently at the top of my ponder list.

Nice write up on these, hawk! I'm drowning in nostalgia over here, because the finish and shape are reminding me of my old set of ta3 gunmetal from the early 2000s!

I know i'm way late to this party... but i just have a couple of questions.

How would you compare these to rocketbladez in terms of launch/distance sound and feel? (the specs look pretty similar as far as loft/length)

The top line is kind of deceiving in black as well... how does it look compared to recent sets you've played thickness wise?

Does the cavity stick out at address on the long irons?

Thanks!

Buddy of mine has these- loves them. In hand they are sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for bumping this thread rallo & WCBM, somehow I had missed it. These are some absolutely beautiful irons. Whenever I stumble over an old thread that I missed it really makes my day.

Great job with the pics and write ups Ryan.

Thanks for bumping this thread rallo & WCBM, somehow I had missed it. These are some absolutely beautiful irons. Whenever I stumble over an old thread that I missed it really makes my day.

Great job with the pics and write ups Ryan.

i know what you mean... there are just way too many good things to check out, it is hard to keep up!

First time I've seen this thread. Good gracious those are pretty.

Nice write up on these, hawk! I'm drowning in nostalgia over here, because the finish and shape are reminding me of my old set of ta3 gunmetal from the early 2000s!

I know i'm way late to this party... but i just have a couple of questions.

How would you compare these to rocketbladez in terms of launch/distance sound and feel? (the specs look pretty similar as far as loft/length)

The top line is kind of deceiving in black as well... how does it look compared to recent sets you've played thickness wise?

Does the cavity stick out at address on the long irons?

Thanks!

Distance seemed typical for a GI type iron, so I think you'd find them right around the RocketBladez in distance and forgiveness. They feel infinitely better all around and look better too in my opinion. Better stock shaft options as well. Really wish I'd hit them with the Recoil 680. Bet that would be a killer combo.

I'd compare the topline to something like a G25 maybe? Thinner, but not super thin. You don't see much in the longer irons at address, but could see a hint of the sole in the long irons depending on how you position the club at address.

Distance seemed typical for a GI type iron, so I think you'd find them right around the RocketBladez in distance and forgiveness. They feel infinitely better all around and look better too in my opinion. Better stock shaft options as well. Really wish I'd hit them with the Recoil 680. Bet that would be a killer combo.

I'd compare the topline to something like a G25 maybe? Thinner, but not super thin. You don't see much in the longer irons at address, but could see a hint of the sole in the long irons depending on how you position the club at address.

This is the configuration they have them at the store nearest me. It's a fun combination - Stock these are a bit long/upright for me, but had fun hitting those on the range for a while.

I will have to give these a look. I love the performance of the rocketbladez, but they leave something to be desired in the looks and feel department. What can I say, matte chrome and a loud thwack are deterrents. Maybe I'm being vain.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Nah, they sound pretty bad and look pretty bad. Though, I painted the yellow strip on the cavity black and that helped the looks quite a bit.

Either way, solid set of irons. I'd personally pick the CB's over the RB's, but you're not going to gain anything crazy in the performance department.

Just picked up a 6i head from eBay to try out.

I've wanted these irons ever since they came out, but never pulled the trigger. Can't wait to get this shafted up & compare it to my CF16s.

Back