The Car Shopping Thread

After putting $70 in gas in my Tundra driving to and from work last week (had to go to a different site) I decided it was time to invest in a more suitable daily driver and came home with a 2013 VW Jetta TDI Saturday. If the gas mileage is as good as they say it will more than pay for itself!

I test drove the 2016 Maxima extensively. I found the CVT to be awful, especially compared to other brands' CVTs I've driven. It was loud and droned like crazy, felt like it was stuck in first the whole time. It had no artificial shift feels like other CVTs ive tried. Wasn't a fan, but damn if the car isn't one of the nicest sedans inside and out.
Oh man. That's exactly what I was hoping I wouldn't hear. Y U C K .

I haven't even had my car (2014 Mazda3) a year yet, so I'm nowhere near ready to even think about looking, so maybe they'll address some of that nonsense in the next year or two...?

I haven't even had my car (2014 Mazda3) a year yet, so I'm nowhere near ready to even think about looking, so maybe they'll address some of that nonsense in the next year or two...?

It's been that way since 2008, so it's not likely. It boggles my mind how you can market a vehicle as the "4 door sports car" then offer only a CVT transmission.

It's possible but Nissan has CVTs all across the board and I just don't jive with the way they do them. Subaru does a much better job with CVTs, matching the feel of an automatic with the performance and economy benefits of a CVT. CVTs are superior from an engineering standpoint, problem is the feel doesn't match up with what most people expect from an automatic transmission.
Maybe I would need more time to get used to it, but it just didn't feel right to me and ultimately turned me away from trying to make a deal on the car.

I hate car shopping. Found the car I wanted... told them what I wanted to pay and they came in at $30 higher a month than I wanted to pay. Said they could not budge on the sale price even $100.

Really wanted the car and the deal to work out, but it must not have been meant to be.

Added this Roto-Fab CAI and radiator cover to White Lion... Adds 26 hp... Now up to 456 hp. Will be adding headers and x pipe in the coming weeks and will have it almost to 500 hp.

Cookie,

How's the Jeep coming along???

Here's how he looks now!!

I hate car shopping. Found the car I wanted... told them what I wanted to pay and they came in at $30 higher a month than I wanted to pay. Said they could not budge on the sale price even $100.

Really wanted the car and the deal to work out, but it must not have been meant to be.

Contact your bank and see if they give you a better interest rate.

I test drove the 2016 Maxima extensively. I found the CVT to be awful, especially compared to other brands' CVTs I've driven. It was loud and droned like crazy, felt like it was stuck in first the whole time. It had no artificial shift feels like other CVTs ive tried. Wasn't a fan, but damn if the car isn't one of the nicest sedans inside and out.

Since the experiences we've had with our Murano we won't be considering any Nissan's in the future.

What kind of car is it? I'm sure something can be done to get it down $30 a month. Like JB said, call your bank. There are places that have 1.9% financing for up to 72 months as long as your credit is good enough.

Ok I have a car question for JRod or any Camry owners...

Just recently I've noticed a vibration/hesitation with my engine when it hits 35-45 mph... Nothing crazy, but I sesame it might be transmission related since it feels like it's happening shifting from 3rd to 4th. I drop it into the "manual" shifting settings and when I shift it doesn't happen.

I've ruled out bad tire balancing as I had the rotation and balance done last week.

Anyone experience this?

Ok I have a car question for JRod or any Camry owners...

Just recently I've noticed a vibration/hesitation with my engine when it hits 35-45 mph... Nothing crazy, but I sesame it might be transmission related since it feels like it's happening shifting from 3rd to 4th. I drop it into the "manual" shifting settings and when I shift it doesn't happen.

I've ruled out bad tire balancing as I had the rotation and balance done last week.

Anyone experience this?

Yes it's the torque converter and they extended the warranty. Call Toyota and give them your vin. They will fix it free of charge .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the sticker at home they sent to my wife for hers if you need any more info.

Let me know .

I have the sticker at home they sent to my wife for hers if you need any more info.

Let me know .

I appreciate it, but my guy I deal with at The dealership always takes care of me. One of the few reasons I drive to them (not close to me) bc I trust everything they've done to my Camry & my wife's 4Runner.

I just fired off an email, but if something changes I'll pm you.

I appreciate it, but my guy I deal with at The dealership always takes care of me. One of the few reasons I drive to them (not close to me) bc I trust everything they've done to my Camry & my wife's 4Runner.

I just fired off an email, but if something changes I'll pm you.

Sounds good bro.

Well... after a LONG time shopping... finally picked up myself a new (to me) daily driver. This will put some rest on my Taurus and the wife's new SUV.

2006 Acura TL.

Well... after a LONG time shopping... finally picked up myself a new (to me) daily driver. This will put some rest on my Taurus and the wife's new SUV.

2006 Acura TL.

Nice car man, those are fun cars.

Nice car man, those are fun cars.

Got a silly good deal, and it is a car that I have always really liked. It should make for a fun daily driver.

Am I the one person that doesn't find it that expensive to own a German luxury vehicle?

I read it here and multiple car forums that if you can't afford maintenance on a BMW, don't buy one. I've personally found that I spend the same or even less on my BMW than I did on my Honda x2, Lexus and Subaru's x3. This is my second BMW and my family's 5th overall.

They are crazy easy to work on and oil changes myself is a no brainer.

My WRX was far more to maintain and my Lexus was right behind that.

I just don't get it

I haven't had any major expenses either, but I usually lease so wouldn't expect to. Generally though, with the exception of Audi, I don't see friends and neighbors having any problems either. The old money in the area tend to buy M-Bs and keep them for 20 years. Most I've ever seen was a M-B with over 500k miles. One valve job and regular oil changes in that timeframe he said.

These days there are so many complicated electronics and safety systems in cars, drivetrains don't seem to be the problem. Certainly a luxury car with radar cruise control etc...has a lot more that can fail than a Civic. So I'd expect more maintenance over time. Other than our one Audi though, no problems over the years.

Welp...my wife liked the Jetta so much we went back out to the dealer on Monday and she drove home in a 2013 Passat TDI SE. Funny enough, we lowered her monthly payment significantly so the cost of the Jetta is almost nil now, especially with what we'll be saving in gas.

Had a little drive in a BMW M6 the other day. Wow, what a machine! Looks fantastic, sounds even better and goes like a rocket. All I need to do is score a mediocre win on some lottery somewhere and one will be sat on my drive!

So, after a week in the Sonata, I am loving it. I had to drive a bit more this week than I am used to, and I still have over half a tank of gas. My Saturn would be ready for a fillup by tomorrow morning, Saturday at the latest. Having a seat with lumbar support has been great as well, and the sound? I'm hearing bass lines I never knew existed on albums I've had for years.

Had a little drive in a BMW M6 the other day. Wow, what a machine! Looks fantastic, sounds even better and goes like a rocket. All I need to do is score a mediocre win on some lottery somewhere and one will be sat on my drive!
Bad bad machines, the GC is sexy as well.
So, after a week in the Sonata, I am loving it. I had to drive a bit more this week than I am used to, and I still have over half a tank of gas. My Saturn would be ready for a fillup by tomorrow morning, Saturday at the latest. Having a seat with lumbar support has been great as well, and the sound? I'm hearing bass lines I never knew existed on albums I've had for years.
That's awesome Russ, it's great to enjoy a car after you drop the coin on it. My wife is loving her car as well.

2006 Acura TL.

I've got an 04 TL with a 6 speed manual and its the perfect DD for me. Nice enough and powerful enough that driving is a pleasure, but not too nice to keep me from putting tools in it and driving the snot out of it.
Mileage is surprisingly great on my car too.

I personally love the M4 but the M6 looks great as well. I saw a Lexus RCF today, it looks amazing.

I got a quote for stage 2 for my car which is a new down pipe and retune, I already got the intake for stage 2. Just under $1k including parts and labor. If APR came out with their down pipe a few months ago, I'd have it by now but the upgrade is being pushed to March for me now, same with the TCU tune. Golf kind of sucked up the rest of my discretionary spending for the rest of the year. As much as I want to go stage 3 and I try to justify it by saying the turbo is probably more reliable than the stock one, it defeats the purpose of a daily driver for me. I figure I'll stop at 400 hp and ft-lbs of torque and call it a day. Then do wheels, suspension, and a new diverter valve, maybe intercooler.

Back