How do you get new grips on?

RonInThornton

LEFTIES UNITE!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
28 GHIN
Sorry if this is posted somewhere I looked and didn't see it.

Anyway, I got my new Yes! long putter today from Rockbottom. It came with a 55" shaft. I cut it down to the size I was comfortable with, now how do I get the 2 grips on? Do you just force them on? They are super tight around the shaft.
I know alot of you guys regrip your own clubs, what's the secret?

Two sided grip tape and solvent (low odour varsol). I've had no issues at all, others here use an air compressor to do it and it works very well for them also. Be warned, club tinkering addiction usually starts with regripping your clubs!

Two sided grip tape and solvent (low odour varsol). I've had no issues at all, others here use an air compressor to do it and it works very well for them also. Be warned, club tinkering addiction usually starts with regripping your clubs!

So, does the grip tape and solvent make the shaft slick so that the grip slides on?

You got it, should slide right on. The solvent takes away the stickiness in the tape and once it evaporates the stickiness come back.

The addiction with tinkering begins for another THP'er.

Ive never done a long or belly putter, but I've done a few regulars. Easy as pie. Any shop would do it for about $5 I'd imagine.

I don't want to tinker, I dont have a choice as they sent it with an oversized shaft and the grips not attached. I would much rather have just pulled it out of the box and gone to the range.
Thanks for the how to advice guys. I'll pick up the tape and solvent tomorrow.

The addiction with tinkering begins for another THP'er.

Putting on new grips is the proverbial "gateway drug" of club tinkering. It's insanely easy to put on your own grips, I don't know why people pay good $$ for others to do it when you can do it yourself. I just put on a bunch of Golf Pride New Decade grips a few days ago.

I'd also reccomend just watching some videos on youtube if you still feel unsure about it.

hmmm I didn't know it was that easy either. I'm going to hold out as long as possible as I can definitely see another addiction.....

I re-gripped my putter on Monday and it was my first time trying it.
Removed old grip (easy).
Put on tape (easy).
Applied solution to inside of new grip and then started to place it on shaft. It was very tight!! I was actually a bit surprised at how tough it was to get on.
Anyways...after about 3 minutes it was on and all squared up. Glad I had the shaft in a vise or it would have been more difficult.

Removed old grip (easy).
Put on tape (easy).
Applied solution to inside of new grip and then started to place it on shaft. It was very tight!! I was actually a bit surprised at how tough it was to get on.
Anyways...after about 3 minutes it was on and all squared up. Glad I had the shaft in a vise or it would have been more difficult.

I'm surprised it was tough to get on. What brand of grip were you trying to put on the putter (just curious)?

The grip was a mid sized Tiger Shark. Only used 1 layer of tape...not sure why it was so challenging.

I've found when the grip is tough to slide on you're not using enough solvent...Use more than you think....If you have a big golf store near you go and watch how they do it...They use a ton of solvent and the grips easily slide on....I've lost a few grips not using enough solvent and the grip stops halfway and is stuck...I found a club builder near me who regrips clubs for 99 cents a club plus the cost of the grip....Using him keeps me from falling under the "club tinkering" spell.....

Putting on new grips is the proverbial "gateway drug" of club tinkering. It's insanely easy to put on your own grips, I don't know why people pay good $$ for others to do it when you can do it yourself. I just put on a bunch of Golf Pride New Decade grips a few days ago.

I started doing it out of necessity since there are no golf shops nearby, I had no idea it would turn to what it has (paint fills, custom ferrules, reshaftings, Vibrant shafts)
hmmm I didn't know it was that easy either. I'm going to hold out as long as possible as I can definitely see another addiction.....

Come on... just try it :)
Removed old grip (easy).
Put on tape (easy).

Don't be afraid to be very liberal with the solvent, put a tee in the hole in the air hole, pour solvent into the grip 1/2 to 3/4 and pour it onto the grip tape, that way the tape is slick and the inside of the grip is slick as well. Use a drip tray to catch the excess solvent and you can reuse it. I've installed different types of grips and usually the toughest part is starting the grip with Winn grips. I've installed grips with up to 10 wraps of tape with no issues and doing it with no vice and by hand only. The only time consuming part is removing the old grip tape if regripping.

Cool - thanks for the tips! Have a feeling I may be using them shortly :act-up:

Don't be afraid to be very liberal with the solvent, put a tee in the hole in the air hole, pour solvent into the grip 1/2 to 3/4 and pour it onto the grip tape, that way the tape is slick and the inside of the grip is slick as well. Use a drip tray to catch the excess solvent and you can reuse it. I've installed different types of grips and usually the toughest part is starting the grip with Winn grips. I've installed grips with up to 10 wraps of tape with no issues and doing it with no vice and by hand only. The only time consuming part is removing the old grip tape if regripping.

Easily the hardest part of regripping, if the grip came in the box with the putter ready to be installed, it should be a snap.

Easily the hardest part of regripping, if the grip came in the box with the putter ready to be installed, it should be a snap.

Yep, I've actually ordered 2 of those uncut putters from Rockbottom and it's a breeze, just cut to preferred length and install the grip. From the box to all set up within 15 mins.

Guess I didn't use enough solvent cause it was a PITA but it's done and I really like this putter, love the weight of it, feels solid through my swing

The long grip in a two piece set for a long putter is normally installed from the narrow end of the shaft which requires the head to be pulled. That is the easy way to install one. The short piece can simply be added from the butt end.

I will be replacing 2 grips on Friday. For those that have used an air compressor, can you provide the steps you followed? Here is my thought process:

1) Remove old grip & tape
2) Clean shaft and apply new tape
3) Apply new grip (is solvent needed if using air compressor?)

Maybe just use a tad bit of solvent to get started and then finish with air through hole at top of grip using 60 PSI??

Thanks for any help!

I will be replacing 2 grips on Friday. For those that have used an air compressor, can you provide the steps you followed? Here is my thought process:

1) Remove old grip & tape
2) Clean shaft and apply new tape
3) Apply new grip (is solvent needed if using air compressor?)

Maybe just use a tad bit of solvent to get started and then finish with air through hole at top of grip using 60 PSI??

Thanks for any help!

is it PURE grips? If not and you have solvent and you also plan on giving them time to dry then I think an air compressor is not needed. of course this is just my opinion

I usually get out of the car and walk into edwin watts, or another golf store... :D
I'm going to try next time I get new grips though.

is it PURE grips? If not and you have solvent and you also plan on giving them time to dry then I think an air compressor is not needed. of course this is just my opinion

No, not the Pure grips. Not sure of what brand yet as I still need to get them this week. I do know what you are talking about with the Pure ones though.

Just thought that I saw that the air compressor method could be used with non-Pure grips and it was easier in some peoples opinions. I have the solvent and can do it the traditional route but thought I would give the air compressor route a go though.

Back