4 wood guys - which brand do you prefer ?

inthehole

Holly Sonders Caddie
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 11.5
I'm going to be dropping my 3 & 5 woods to make room for another club (there wasn't enough of a distance gap to justify carrying both anyways) - going with a 4w. I'm not a super long driver, so a good FW game for the second shot is important to me. My swing speed is 88-90 on the monitor.

From what I can find ... the readily available brands that make 4 woods today are Ping, Nike, Callaway, Titleist ... would love to know your preferences & even better, those to stay away from, thanks.

Be sure to try out the Cleveland FL 17* 3 wood. It's incredibly easy to hit and goes a mile. In fact, my husband and I both hit it further than the 15* 3 wood because we got it up in the air and carried it further. It's one of my favorite clubs in the bag.

The RBZ 3HL is a 17* bomber!

I liked the Callaway Octane 17* when I used it and now the Mashie F5 is listed as a 5 wood but it only 18* and is very forgiving and easy to hit.

I've been trying out other 4 woods (and some 3 woods) out of curiosity, but none have been able to unseat my :touredge: Exotics. They have some of the best performing fairway wood offerings on the market, just not as well known as the big boys.

My instructor would agree with you. He told me the same thing after going to the PGA Show and he is a Titleist man. I still haven't tried them.

I've been trying out other 4 woods (and some 3 woods) out of curiosity, but none have been able to unseat my :touredge: Exotics. They have some of the best performing fairway wood offerings on the market, just not as well known as the big boys.

The RBZ 3HL is a 17* bomber!

I have to agree with this. I personally don't like the longer shafts that TM uses (this is why I have Callaway FW woods), but my brother is a 10, he BOMBED the RBZ 3HL on a launch monitor at Golfsmith, he was hitting it 220 off the deck.....I was VERY impressed.....

I took my R11 3 wood and adjusted it for higher launch because I was more concerned about getting it up and that has worked well for me. This from someone who struggled for years with fairway woods of any kind. Came out of a Callaway FT IZ 3 wood which I could never get off the ground.

The Cleveland FL 17* is the longest I have ever hit in that loft hands down.
The Cleveland Mashie is the best FW I have ever hit off the deck.
The Bridgestone J40 is an absolute beast of a 4 wood.
The Nike VR_S is a powerhouse for distance in the fw wood category.

The Cleveland FL 17* is the longest I have ever hit in that loft hands down.
The Cleveland Mashie is the best FW I have ever hit off the deck.
The Bridgestone J40 is an absolute beast of a 4 wood.
The Nike VR_S is a powerhouse for distance in the fw wood category.

Funny that all of them are on my ponder list. I really liked the J40 down in FL and thought I hit it well all things considered.

G20 16.5* is amazing. I suggest hitting it.

Be sure to try out the Cleveland FL 17* 3 wood. It's incredibly easy to hit and goes a mile. In fact, my husband and I both hit it further than the 15* 3 wood because we got it up in the air and carried it further. It's one of my favorite clubs in the bag.

I got fitted for a 4 wood last year and hit most of the popular models.

For me the Cleveland FL and the Tour Edge Exotic XCG-4 stood out from the rest by a long shot. It was a straight up coin toss which one I left with and I only went with the TEE XCG-4 because it had the Motore Speeder shaft in it which I already had in a driver.

Be sure to try out the Cleveland FL 17* 3 wood.

The more research I do, the more good I see regarding this club - just wish they call it a 4w instead of a HL 3w (LOL) !!

I love my Superfast 2.0 4 wood. It's been money ever since I got it. Keep threating to hit the RBZ 3HL, but the Superfast has done nothing to really warrant making a change!

Agree about the names on some of these - looking at you Cleveland and TM. Rocketballz 3HL! Yeah - it's a friggin' 4 wood!

The RBZ 3HL was just OK for me. My Wishon 4W is actually longer for me.

The Cleveland FL 17* is an animal with a premium shaft already installed.

I love me some 4W goodness, just currently trying out the ole 3W thing again.

I carry a 17* Taylormade (R11) and absolutely love it!!

I use the 17* Cleveland FL and have been happy with it's performance... although I would defiantly check out the Mashie FW as well. Lot of good options out there right now.

I use the 17* Cleveland FL and have been happy with it's performance... although I would defiantly check out the Mashie FW as well. Lot of good options out there right now.

Thanks - going to check out the Cleveland FL tonight ! It's on sale at Golfsmith now ...

Don't get caught up on what is stamped on the bottom of the club # wise go for the loft and get fitted for the shaft length. With loft creep the last 20 years its a wonder they still use fairway wood #'s instead of just loft. A four wood years ago was 19* and 41.5".

I've used a G20 4-wood (17.5) since early winter -- replaced G10 3- (15) and 5-woods (19) with the G20 4-wood for the same reasons mentioned -- just not much distance gap between the 3 and 5 woods for me, and I found myself always preferring to hit the 5 wood. I've found the G20 4-wood solid, easy to hit, generally good feel, and attractive to look at. I'm more of a left to right player, especially with the longer clubs, so I can hit is straight or fade it on demand. I've not tried the other 4-woods mentioned, but I've enjoyed playing the Ping 4-wood and really have not found too many situations where I have missed the 3-wood. In contrast, I've also tried the G20 hybrid (21 degree) and could not hit it well at all and thus have stuck with the G10 when I bag a hybrid.

My brother has the Nike Machspeed 4 wood jobbie and loves it. Strikes the ball very well and gets masses of height - great for stopping the ball on the green from around the 215-220 yard mark.

My Nike VR Pro 17* kicked out my g10. Project x 6.0 shaft is beautiful. I can hit this thing twice as high as the ust hl i had in the ping.

I tested the Nike VR_S both of the new Calaway woods and the RBZ. The RBZ had good distance and I am sure I'd learn to like it but the Nike VR_s was consistent, long and easy to hit off the deck.

Counting my pennies until I can buy one.

Stack another one up for tour edge exotics! I'm still rocking a cb1 3and 5 wood!

Back